SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnam vet jailed for M14 he bought in the 80's
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam vet jailed for M14 he bought in the 80's Login/Join 
posted
At first i thought of this is unfair but the obstructed serial number makes it hard to say you were unaware of the legal status of the rifle. I would like to know how the ATF knew he had it in the first place. Someone must have ratted him out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/v...m14-automatic-rifle/

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Once a machine gun, always a machine gun". I learned that phrase in the year 2000.

In 2000, I saw this ad online for M14 receivers for sale. No, not SA Inc, not Smith Arms or Chinese forgings or MKS re-welds from DEWATs or any of that stuff. This guy was advertising honest to God M14 receivers. I called him up, but he was "busy" and had to call me back. I asked him the details when he called back. Well, he said, the post inside the receivers that would allow for full auto fire have been removed from these receivers, he said, and that makes them legal for private ownership, he said. How many did I want, he asked. He had several. I asked him to let me think about it. I called him back. Again, he was "busy", and had to call me back. I am in Georgia and he was in Alabama. He could "meet me at the state line". I kid you not. Again, I sad I would think about it. I told a neighbor about this, and he said "It's a sting. Once a machine gun, always a machine gun".

And then, it all made sense. He wasn't "busy" when I called him. He had to turn on his audio recorder and then call me. BATFE, FBI, take your pick.

True story

So, in my ignorance, I could have found myself in very, very hot water.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woof:
At first i thought of this is unfair but the obstructed serial number makes it hard to say you were unaware of the legal status of the rifle. I would like to know how the ATF knew he had it in the first place. Someone must have ratted him out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/v...m14-automatic-rifle/

says so right there in the article:
quote:
The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives raided Pick's house last year on a tip about the weapon, KTVT reports.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
If you can't find any real criminals, you can always manufacture some.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
It’s a pisser he was a veteran, and it’s a pisser he’s 70 years old, and I hope they go easy on him, but damn. It’s not like the law against owning fully automatic weapons just passed last week, and they were keeping it secret.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else concerned about the feds "raiding" your house based on a "tip"???

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

Um, no. Not in this case. Regardless of ones feelings on the GCA of 86, it’s the law, and quite clear. It is a prohibited item under the law.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They still would have needed probable cause for a warrant, that takes more than an anonymous tip.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Um, no. Not in this case. Regardless of ones feelings on the GCA of 86, it’s the law, and quite clear. It is a prohibited item under the law.

Um, yes. Simply because it's "The Law" doesn't mean it's "right." Lots of things are illegal simply because someone needed to manufacture a villain.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
It’s a pisser he was a veteran, and it’s a pisser he’s 70 years old, and I hope they go easy on him, but damn. It’s not like the law against owning fully automatic weapons just passed last week, and they were keeping it secret.

That is my take.

Was this weapon capable of full auto fire, or not? If it was capable of full auto (and wasn't a MG merely by virtue of once having been full auto), then I especially have no sympathy for him.

While I think the MG laws are bad laws, they remain the law.

As for the tip, they still had to go get a warrant from a judge to raid the house.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Um, yes. Simply because it's "The Law" doesn't mean it's "right." Lots of things are illegal simply because someone needed to manufacture a villain.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article doesn't provide some pertinent details that could be germane to the case. For example, when in the 80s did he buy it? If it was prior to 1986, was the rifle still legally transferable at the time he bought it? Either way he's at least guilty of a paperwork error, but it does seem like an extreme sentence. Especially to a guy who earned a Silver Star.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
As is often the case, there is more to this than meets the eye. It also points up why speculating is so dangerous.

A lawyer buddy of mine, who is very active in the shooting community around here, and who is a Class III licensee, and who does a lot of firearms trust work found the following from the order committing this defendant to detention pending trial:

"Evidence was presented regarding Defendant’s verbal threat to kill hospital employees. Evidence was also presented regarding items recovered at Defendant’s residence, including, but not limited to, fourteen firearms, one of which was a machine gun, ammunition, marijuana, and cocaine. Evidence was also presented regarding Defendant’s habitual drug use, as well as alleged sexual misconduct with his daughter, including inappropriate pictures of his daughter as a minor. Notably, not one family member would agree to be Defendant’s third party custodian, and all expressed that they would fear for their safety if Defendant was released. Finally, evidence was presented that Defendant is a trained and licensed pilot and owns a plane. Based on the evidence presented at the hearing, the Court is unable to fashion any conditions that would ensure the safety of the community and that would ensure Defendant’s appearance as required in these proceedings. Therefore, the United States’ motion for detention (Dkt. 5) is GRANTED, and Defendant is detained pending trial."

None of this bears directly on his guilt, but it probably had an effect nonetheless. I feel sure it had a lot to do with the sentence. It may also explain why there was a tip - sounds like this guy scared people.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes - there was definitely 'more to the story'

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Must've been the weed.

(I kid)

Those threats and inappropriate photos are big problems if true, and are most certainly a legitimate issue.

Thanks for the additional details.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thank you, jhe888.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe CBS missed all the pertinent details. Thanks for the follow up jhe888. I figured there was more to the story.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It also points up why speculating is so dangerous.

Golly gee, mister. Surely this must have been the very first time something like that happened in these parts. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You’re arguing from feelings, not facts. I agree that the law is wrong but it exists. I have a registered sub gun, but would not DREAM of owning an unregistered machine gun. The statute doesn’t care if it upsets me, and neither will the judicial system. The law may be stupid, but I’d be stupid to violate it because I thought it was wrong.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It also points up why speculating is so dangerous.

Golly gee, mister. Surely this must have been the very first time something like that happened in these parts. Roll Eyes

Yeah. Doesn’t it just suck when facts screw up a good story Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post