SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Telsa "fastest production car ever"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telsa "fastest production car ever" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
^^^^
Good question. How many pounds of coal are burned every time Johnny "Me So Green" needs to get to work?

ETA: A 600 plus range at what speed? Stop and go? Highway? Combination? Figure in Boston traffic on the upper deck on Friday afternoon?

Well the stupid boat uses say 90 amps at 240 volts for 4 hours to recharge it. $11.23 in electricity at ).13 a KWH. I think the same boat with a single 4 stroke outboard would cost less to operate with the same range.

Not to mention you need to be a nuclear physicist to get the thing operational....pull this red breaker knob, turn this computer on wait 20 seconds, press this button for 4 seconds till it turns red, wait 20 seconds till this screen comes on, press this button, turn this key.......Honestly the technology is just not there yet. They'd be better off with diesel electric (a small diesel running a massive alternator to charge the battery bank). Large ships have had a ton of success with Diesel Electric propulsion.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tesla went into automation in a major way for the Model 3 and are having a lot of trouble getting it to work. Basic disciplines for production system design, runoff, install, and validation were not followed. Most of these are described in detail in the AIAG handbooks that have standardized automotive industry product introduction processes - if the "smartest guy in the room" realized he can learn something from the people that have been making cars in high volumes for 100 years.

They are a tech company with some great designs, but they are not a manufacturing company. And it seems that they serious underestimated the experience it takes to do this stuff on a large scale. There is a reason there has not been a successful upstart auto manufacturer in the US in a LONG time. I don't know if Tesla underestimated what they were getting into, or if they thought they could do it better and ignore the collected knowledge of the rest of the auto industry.

And meanwhile, GM has the Bolt with similar size, power, performance, and range as the Model 3. Not as stylish or trendy, but GM is doing it.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a Tesla S. Impressive car in all aspects. He also has a Tesla X. The seats in the X are incredibly uncomfortable and the gull wings are wobbly. I’m looking forward to seeing this model. I’m sure my neighbor will pick one up as well.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"Win on Sunday sell on Monday".

They have a ways to go Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
My neighbor has a Tesla S. Impressive car in all aspects. He also has a Tesla X. The seats in the X are incredibly uncomfortable and the gull wings are wobbly. I’m looking forward to seeing this model. I’m sure my neighbor will pick one up as well.

For $200 grand? Does he have anything else interesting that isn't electric?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

For $200 grand? Does he have anything else interesting that isn't electric?

Nothing class 3 if that's what you're thinking. My other neighbor does though.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Those acceleration numbers aren't completely farfetched. An electric motor has all its torque available from the time it starts to turn. If you have a stick shift and disable the clutch interlock circuit, the starter motor can move the whole car. I wonder if the car (should it actually be built) might have an individual motor/reduction gearbox for each driving wheel.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally a car for the masses and not just the moneyed elite..........

Looks good as a news flash- Get back to me when they roll off the production line at the price stated and volume indicated.

It's vaporware and not anything that could survive in the real world without government intervention and support. The budget debate is removing the electric car subsidy so- News Flash Fastest Car Ever.....

A practical person would of addressed Electric Freight Trucking first. There's a need and huge volume.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Yeah, but I can "recharge" my gas powered car in a couple minutes.

Sure, but can you do it at home?

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I see these claims of range for all 100% electrical vehicles, and wonder if this is kinda like laptop ratings. You know, rated with the laptop in sleep mode, and even then what you really get is much less... My point relates to actual use, and say how the HVAC system effects battery ratings/range for the vehicle.

Is heat resistance, a "heat pump", combo of the two? How about AC use? Is the AC really effective, work while sitting in a traffic jam, as effective as conventional automotive A/C? I can't help but think these Tesla, and other EV's are a lot better idea in say San Diego, than where I live, 30 mi south of Erie PA.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
I see these claims of range for all 100% electrical vehicles, and wonder if this is kinda like laptop ratings. You know, rated with the laptop in sleep mode, and even then what you really get is much less...

This 100% right. My wife's rich uncle bought one brand new and he said in the Northern VA region in normal driving he gets about 200 miles a charge or less. He said they told him 250 when he bought it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, Musk is Jacob Marlowe and Tesla is the Halo Corporation?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Heading West from us it would barely get out of Ontario.......

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the Fails videos on YouTube of these things totally out of control with that level of power and torque. Hope everybody survives it!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like electric vehicles, however $200K is much too expensive !!! My prediction is that in 20 years, most people will not be driving cars and that most people will be using some kind of Uber-type service that will be using electric vehicles. So selling vehicles to regular people is on the way out. I do not like this as I like driving, but this is what I predict. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm,
So how does it sound?
How much feel do the brakes transmit back to driver?
How well do the brakes slow the car, and when do they start to fade?
Steering...can you feel the tires movement under the chassis?
Vapor car? Will Tesla even be around in 3-4 years given their cash burn rate?

Until these questions have positive responses, I think my 911 Turbo S will have to suffice. YMMV

Take care, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
...How many pounds of coal are burned every time Johnny "Me So Green" needs to get to work?

My first trip to Los Angeles back in the mid-1980's I spent three days cooped up in the hotel room due to the smog, so I'm with you there.

What I really hate, though, is nuclear power. Specifically, disposal of used uranium fuel. We do a lot of that here in Illinois, and in fact I'm close enough to Byron that I can see the stacks on a clear day. I can imagine the increase in waste uranium if electric vehicles become common, and I don't look forward to it!

Fuck Tesla, fuck Musk!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
(yawn)

do it without government subsidies and get the mass production going and I'll maybe care.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
It's amazing what one can accomplish on the taxpayers' dime. Corporate welfare taken to the Nth degree.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
My prediction is that in 20 years, most people will not be driving cars and that most people will be using some kind of Uber-type service that will be using electric vehicles. So selling vehicles to regular people is on the way out. I do not like this as I like driving, but this is what I predict. God Bless Smile

Not a chance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post