SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Telsa "fastest production car ever"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telsa "fastest production car ever" Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
++++LINK++++

Elon Musk, the Chief Executive of electric car maker Tesla, unveiled a surprise new vehicle on Thursday night - a roadster that he said would be the "fastest production car ever" made.

Capable of going from 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds, the Tesla Roadster would be the first such car ever to break the two second mark, the entrepreneur said at a launch near Los Angeles.

He also said it would climb from 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and clear a quarter mile in 8.9 seconds. "This will the first time that any production car has broken 9 seconds in the quarter mile," he said

With a 200 kilowatt hour battery pack, the Tesla Roadster will have a range of 620 miles on a single charge - another new record.

"The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars," he said.

“Driving a gasoline sports car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side of quiche.”

Production of the new car, an updated version of Tesla's first production vehicle, is expected to begin in 2020.

Its top speed was not revealed, but he hinted it was "above 250pmh". The current world record for a production car is 277.9mph, held by the Agera RS by Sweden’s Koenigsegg.

The car, which will have a base price of $200,000, was unveiled theatrically during the launch of a prototype electric big-rig truck, dubbed the Tesla Semi.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Above 250 huh? Can it keep it up for the entire Southern 500?

Niche toys, that is all. Maybe someday.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair, any super car is a niche toy no matter the propulsion system.

If it comes close to hitting those numbers it will be a huge smack down in the super car world. The Konigsegg Agera cost over 10x as much!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
But...How does it SOUND?

The sound is a LOT of the experience. To me the electrics may be the wave of the future but not in MY future. I'll stick to evil gasoline.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
My car will go 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. I know what that feels like-- it feels fast!. But it's slow compared with 1.9 seconds-- which must feel like being steam catapulted off a carrier deck. Eek

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Could never afford one! But if trickle down economics lets the 620 mile range batteries move to a much lower cost unit it would be in the offering! Noise I get from my radio. Wink
Thought I'd add a pic with the sunroof removed.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me when it's really available. Ask all of the thousands of potential customers who have made big deposits on the Tesla Model 3, which is already a couple of years overdue, when they think they will really get their cars.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I want one!!!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I can "recharge" my gas powered car in a couple minutes.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Me likey. Me wanty. Way out of my price range. Frown

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds

He also said it would climb from 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and clear a quarter mile in 8.9 seconds.

This has zero interest in my demographic or zip code.
now the 620 mile charge does sound interesting.....wonder what the cruise speed to achieve that might be....it's a long way between charge stations in Oregon Outback country.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
...The car, which will have a base price of $200,000...

Think of how much it would cost without all the government subsidies Tesla has gotten these last few years! I imagine Ferrari and Aston Martin could get their prices down a bit with that kind of backing.

And who ever heard of a semi that was limited to 500 miles range, followed by a recharge of indeterminate time?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds

He also said it would climb from 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and clear a quarter mile in 8.9 seconds.

This has zero interest in my demographic or zip code.
now the 620 mile charge does sound interesting.....wonder what the cruise speed to achieve that might be....it's a long way between charge stations in Oregon Outback country.

Yeah, of all the stats on this car, the range is the most intriguing. It means that the technology is catching up with public demands in the electric options.

Do I want one? Oh hell no! At my age I'd kill myself in the first week but it would be a hell off a way to go.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I love the idea, but until they make something that can haul feed and hay, 4x8 boards and mulch? It isn't hitting me on my "buy" button.

Cue that pic of the Prius being recharged with a gas powered portable generator.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
He can't manage to reliably mass produce the cheap model he pre-sold thousands of and he's debuting big rigs and sports cars. I have respect for his business acumen and entrepreneurial talent but I think he needs to work on the basics before moving on to the next big idea. I've aways been very impressed by what he's been doing at space-x though, thats for sure.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk:
quote:
"The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars," he said.

“Driving a gasoline sports car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side of quiche.”

No Elon, no smackdown awarded here until you do this on the vehicle's own capabilities... without massive Government subsidies.

Do it on your own money, deliver what you have promised to the poor suckers who have put down deposits, then show me how the net/net manufacture, purchase, life cycle expense, repair costs, disposal fees for the expended battery packs, etc. pencil-out in Tesla's favor... and are such a wonderful improvement for our environment.

Then maybe we can talk about "SmackDowns"

In the meantime, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way to your next overstated press conference.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Just a question I've never seen answered and surely never put in a TV commercial. How much does it cost to recharge the electric cars? The Volt, the Leaf, and now these luxury style cars? Its got to be a simple equation, one that seems to be hiding. Once a week or so I fill up my gas tank and it costs between $25 and $30. I assume the electric cars will need recharging every evening or two. Sure, where you live and your cost per killowatt hour will be involved.

So does it coat $5 a month or $25 a week?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ran an all electric boat that's 28' long. It has 2 50 amp shorepower cables to recharge it. The range isn't anywhere it needs to be, with 2 BMW lithium ION batteries....boat is all carbon fiber and costs $450k At 30 mph it can go 20 miles, at 10 mph it can go 40 miles.....it was a novelty. NOW, if Tesla's battery technology has come so far to give this car a 650 mile range, that is REALLY SOMETHING that can benefit a lot of other areas.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Good question. How many pounds of coal are burned every time Johnny "Me So Green" needs to get to work?

ETA: A 600 plus range at what speed? Stop and go? Highway? Combination? Figure in Boston traffic on the upper deck on Friday afternoon?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Treat these exciting 'introductions' as nothing more than they were intended....as distractions. Tesla has proven itself incapable of delivering serious volumes of Model 3's, which were to be its bread and butter. Musk is bleeding cash big time with his Solar City and SpaceX ventures, and although the accomplishments of SpaceX have been impressive, there's no cash flow forthcoming from that venture for some time yet. And Solar City is a huge gamble in that government subsidies to keep it going are likely not going to be there with this administration. Solar without subsidies has proven time and again to fail spectacularly.

So I see a man showing the gullible a sports car and a big truck, neither or which are likely to ever be built, while failing to answer the biggest question of all...Is the Model 3, the future of Tesla, already a failure?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post