Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Picture of ducSTer
posted Hide Post
I like Astra but Voskhod are my favorite inexpensive daily shaver. Try sticking with the same gear for the first month and develop your technique before throwing in variables.

Check out Italian Barber
The Razorock plissoft brushes, soaps and aftershaves are great quality for the price... they also have a build a starter kit option.

Posts: 989 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and 911boss for the sample blades. Got a Merkur handle and badger brush. Been using it with some sandlewood shave cream. Best shaves I've ever had.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
have you started to "faceterbate"?(conscious/subconscious rubbing and adoration of smooth post shave face)...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
have you started to "faceterbate"?(conscious/subconscious rubbing and adoration of smooth post shave face)...

Haha funny you say that, I've caught myself doing that a few times. My wife actually called me out on it which is when I realized I was doing it.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Shaving is now one of the best parts of my day. How much do I enjoy it? I now shave on my OFF days. Never ever used to do that. Since switching to safety razor, I haven't had any shaving bumps like I used to get with the multiple blade razors. I just added a scuttle mug that keeps the lather nice and warm to my routine.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up looking for a decent disposable razor after trying nearly everything suggested in my own thread on the subject. The best was a kit called "Harry's Razor" that I got at Walmart, and it worked fairly well with their brand of shaving gel rather than the Edge brand I've used forever.

The Edwin Jagger recommended by several of you guys is next on my list, and I've already bought some Astra brand blades.

Before I order the EJ, though, I wondered if anybody has experience with the Parker brand safety razor? It's a butterfly-type rather than the three-piece, and I like that better, maybe because I used Gillette for years, before the disposables. Specifically, I'm looking at the Parker 99R:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm concerned about the fact that it's made in India. Nearly all reviews on Amazon (yeah, I don't really trust them, either) are positive, all the negative reviews relate to shoddy construction, but they're a small percentage of the overall reviews.

What's the opinion of SigForum? Any suggestions of other butterfly-type razors that are moderately priced?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these from Duluth Trading Co. and am quite happy with it

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Parker (the 99R is actually a good choice for experienced shavers because it's fairly aggressive, but the 60R might be better as an intro razor) and Merkur both make some nice, inexpensive TTO (Twist to Open) safety razors (you can also find some great, inexpensive vintage TTO Gillettes like the Slim, Fatboy, and SuperSpeed online). Some good recommendations in this thread - the Mehaz above is made in Solingen, and is actually very similar to a mild SuperSpeed. For three piece (separate head, base plate and handle), Muhle and Edwin Jagger make some nice, attractive razors as well. Maggard and Bullgoose are fairly comprehensive sites, with everything you might need, as is West Coast Shaving. I'd start out with mild-aggressive razors (DE89 equivalent), and moderately - but not too sharp blades: Gillette Silver Blue, Astra, Derby Extra, or Polsilver. Leave the Kai and Feather blades for a bit more practice. Good forums to learn and work on technique are Badger & Blade, The Shave Nook or Damn Fine Shave for starters. Most important part of shaving with a DE is prep - shower or hot towel before lathering, pre-shave (Proraso or pre-shave oil, then decide if you like it), and a good soap applied with a brush - Stirling, Captain's Choice, Chiseled Face Groomatorium are all good starters. Follow up with a witch hazel splash and a good aftershave, and you're there with a DFS (Damn Fine Shave) or BBS (Baby-Butt Smooth). And there are hundreds, if not thousands, of variations on that. Welcome to the world of wet shaving! It's a very different experience than using a cartridge razor or an electric, sort of like eating at Burger King or Macdonald's compared to dining at Delmonico's, depending on your skill and level of involvement. And of course, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a Parker twist to open/butterfly (TTO), no problems.

Here is my “Travel” razor, Weishi TTO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap,looks good and works just fine.

For the “ultimate” TTO, go to eBay and find a good condition Gillette Slim Adjustable or Fat Boy. I picked up an excellent SA, made the same quarter/year that I was born for about $50. Still looking for a FB, they usually end up going more than I want to pay. I may just break down and buy a replated one.

I find that different adjustment settings work for different blades and it really lets you dial in the shave.

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doc H -- I gave up on electrics 15 years ago, been wet shaving ever since. Actually, I did a real shave (blade) at least once a week for several decades before that!

As to EJ and the other 3-piece razors, I've decided to get their Double-Edge if I can't find what I really want, a decent butterfly, reasonably priced.

I picked the Astra blades because of this thread's recommendation that Feather was too sharp.

911 Boss -- I looked at Weishi, but ruled them out since they're Chinese-made. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and buy from a more reputable country. That's one reason I asked here about Parker, since India isn't well-known as a good source of manufactured products.

About 15 years ago I found a Gillette with a short, travel handle at an antique shop for about $5 or $10, used it for a while, but lost it when we moved. Too bad I wasn't more careful. I did, however, manage to hang onto a nice shaving mug and an old (rusty and pitted) straight razor. Cool

I'll take another look at Merkur.

Whoops! The Merkur 34C is not a butterfly, and I can't determine which of their products are butterfly.

(Edited to correct my reference to the EJ. I'm watching both their DE and Parker's 99R and 66R.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
another vote for feather high stainless

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
About 50 years wet shaving, including with the original Gillettes! Couldn't tell where you are in the spectrum, but if you've been wet shaving for 15 years you might like the Parker. Never used one, but the 99R gets good reviews most places, and it's an aggressive razor that's reported to be very efficient. You might also like the Merkur Futur - not a TTO but it's adjustable, and unless you just want the butterfly for convenience it's a unique snap-on head design; my bad, don't think Merkur has any butterflies, but several adjustables - Parker is pretty much the standout with modern TTOs. The Mehaz as mentioned also gets good reports. Some have mentioned the Gillettes as well, and they really are superb razors if you can find one in good shape - lots of outfits replate but they're pricey - Above the Tie, Razor Emporium. I've got a birth quarter Slim and a Fatboy that I really love, but a good Red Tip Super Speed might be right up your alley; I have a Silver Tip but you might find those too mild for you if you're comparing it to the 99R. Also love the Astras - a nice smooth blade that works in almost any razor - two types and either works well; I agree that a Feather in an aggressive razor might not be the best choice.

A few listings here:

Gillette Red Tip

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with an electric in about 1960, occasional blade about 1967 or 1968, total wet-shave about 2005 when electrics just wouldn't do it for me any more.

I'm hoping to get more feedback here on the Parker, and if it's good I'll see if there are any price drops on Amazon as Christmas approaches. I have the 99R in a wish list, along with Edwin Jagger and the Parker 66R.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you can expect a price drop on the 99R, it is a “budget” one to start with at a regular price of $29

Looking for adjustable on Amazon, this is a new one that looks interesting:

Vikings Blade “The Crusader”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B...&qid=1543492629&sr=2

Also I always like to plug Georgetown Pottery Sahaving scuttles. They are a bit pricy, but you can get “factory seconds” for a bit of a discount. They aren’t advertised, you need the “secret” web link:

https://www.georgetownpottery....duct/SHAV0002-2.html

I love mine, keeps the lather nice and warm

posted Hide Post
The Viking is also Chinese, according to the Q&A on Amazon.

Ironic, a Northern European tough-guy name, Australian company, but they get the Chinese to do their manufacturing.

Besides that, I'm looking for something less expensive than $49.97, although I think I found another seller at about $35.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Go right to the Merkur Slant. More gentle to the skin and a close shave. I use Feather and Persona red blades with good results.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a butterfly.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Not sure if you can expect a price drop on the 99R, it is a “budget” one to start with at a regular price of $29

Looking for adjustable on Amazon, this is a new one that looks interesting:

Vikings Blade “The Crusader”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B...&qid=1543492629&sr=2

Also I always like to plug Georgetown Pottery Sahaving scuttles. They are a bit pricy, but you can get “factory seconds” for a bit of a discount. They aren’t advertised, you need the “secret” web link:

https://www.georgetownpottery....duct/SHAV0002-2.html

I love mine, keeps the lather nice and warm

+1 on the scuttles and Georgetown pottery is great!

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^I've had my GP scuttle for a few yrs. Thanks to SF, I picked up a "second". I had to look twice to find the blemish.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post