Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Picture of SR025
posted
Been using cheap disposables for years but wanting to try a safety razor. Any recommendations on brand? I see several on amazon with good reviews.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handle wise you can't go wrong with most options. I like Merkur.

For blades, I would recommend getting a variety pack until you know what you like. I prefer Feather blades, but some people find them to be too sharp.

Make sure you get a good badger brush and good cream as well so you get a good lather. That is the base of your shave. I use Mike's Natural Soaps:

http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Merkur 12C. Use with Feather razor blades.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like a Merkur because they make a long handled version which feels good in my hand.

A vintage Gillette, which are available on eBay, is a fine option.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For a quality product at a reasonable price (i.e., not a collector piece or otherwise vintage), I'm partial to the feel and style of Edwin Jagger.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
You will get pages of recommendations my suggestion find a reasonable price before you spend to much. Razors are like pistols everyone has their favorite. Blades are also a personal choice.

My personal favorite
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...ds=edwin+jagger+de89

Blades I like Astra, persona red, feather, shark.

If you want a brush, this is also one of my favorites and I think a great value, real badger, well made, very soft, never sheds for $40

https://vintagebladesllc.com/c...rush-faux-ebony-24mm

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like my Edwin Jagger DE89L.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Handle wise you can't go wrong with most options. I like Merkur.

For blades, I would recommend getting a variety pack until you know what you like. I prefer Feather blades, but some people find them to be too sharp.

Make sure you get a good badger brush and good cream as well so you get a good lather. That is the base of your shave. I use Mike's Natural Soaps:

http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com

What Palm said. Feather Blades. Baby's ass smooth. YMMV.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I use either an Edwin Jagger or Merkur for the handle. For blades, I like Feather or Personna (red package Israeli version). West Coast Shaving has always been a good source for me when buying shaving stuff.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Never thought about needing different shave cream/soap. I've been using Edge shave gel. I appreciate the razor recommendations so far.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Baby's ass smooth.

I would love to hear 'The Velvet Voicebox' say this. Big Grin

I bet it would sound just like this guy.

Razz

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Edwin Jagger and a razor blade sampler.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Never thought about needing different shave cream/soap. I've been using Edge shave gel.

I definitely recommend you don't do this, especially if you are new to DE shaving. Your shave will not be smooth and you will cause yourself more pain. The brush/cream method helps lift the hairs so they are cut much more easily.

I have used canned stuff with a DE razor in a pinch, but only after gaining much experience with the razor first.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Another vote for Edwin Jagger and a razor blade sampler.

Same here.

And when shaving, just remember that you don't really need to apply any downward pressure more that the weight of the blade head itself.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Razors are like pistols everyone has their favorite. Blades are also a personal choice.

Yup!

My favorite is the Merkur Futur Adjustable

Lots of options for shaving creams and brushes too. Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap is my go to...

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Merkur Long Handle, Persona blades, RazoRock Italian Shaving Soap, RazoRock Alum Aftershave block, Leather and Wood Sandalwood Aftershave.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I love my vintage Schick Krona.
Put of all my razors, it shaves the best.
Coupled with either Derby or Astra blades.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Baby's ass smooth.

I would love to hear 'The Velvet Voicebox' say this. Big Grin

I bet it would sound just like this guy.

Razz

Thanks Club but no comparison. He would be so much better. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As above. A good Merkur razor, and an sampler pack of blades to start. For me, Gillette Silver Blue blades work best for my razor/face/blade combo. Once you find the blade you like make sure you have enough......

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Merkur and an Edwin Jaeger. Like both I use the Merkur at home and have the Jaeger in my travel kit. Like the length and heavier feel of the Merkur the best but the Jaeger is more nimble and easy to control.
A blade sample pack is a good idea. I settled on the Feathers but liked the PoliSilver iridiums as well or better. You can buy them by the 100 on Amazon cheap.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post