SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charcuterie experts help please Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charcuterie experts help please Update Login/Join 
posted
I've been Corning a brisket using Alton Brown's recipe
Saturday is the pull day. I'm using a refrigerator that's out in my garage. For some strange reason when I flipped it over last night I felt I should temp read the brine, so I got the old thermapen out and was reading 40 degrees. I turned the fridge down I live in the Northeast so it's been cool. Should I be worried? Should I not even consider cooking this thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davea,

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No 40F is still in the safe zone for keeping food but barely. Corned Beef has enough salt and brine that you are plenty safe. USDA calls for 40F or below for refrigerators. I prefer to keep mine 34F as some things like milk will last longer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
With the brine you should be fine. Even without it, it is probably okay, although a little warmer than most fridges.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The currently accepted danger zone is 41-135 degrees, with the most dangerous part of that band being between 70 and 125. 40 is still ok, especially with the brine.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It will pair well with truck cheese.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about it one bit, it’s sitting submerged in a very salty brine which which is keeping it out of contact with the air plus that salt will inhibit any bacteria. It’s fine.

You have to remember that we’ve only had refrigeration for 100 years and we survived the previous 3,000 or 4,000 years before that.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're fine. Alton Brown's curing brine that I find online is thru the roof levels of nitrite, so your beef could spend a day in the brine at room temperature and not get any baddies. Standard brine concentrate is 3 tsp/gallon of cure #1 to achieve USDA FSIS 156 ppm nitrite levels; he calls for 4 tsp/ qt.

FWIW, I dry cure and/or brine a couple hundred pounds of meat per year, and haven't gotten myself or anyone else ill, yet Wink

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you who have replied! Should I soak in just plain water over night because of so much nitrite levels? To get rid of the saltiness? Thanks again Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again Thanks too all. We cooked it Saturday with out any problem. I guess the only problem is 17lbs
of it.

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
If it tastes good, that is a nice problem to have! Glad it all worked out to your satisfaction...

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post