SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes, there are good people out there!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, there are good people out there! Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
A young woman with no husband and 4 kids is a friend of ours.

Yesterday, she stopped by to visit. Discussion came up about a car that had been swamped by a flash flood. It was still on the road way but not running, for obvious reasons. The male driver was out in the water trying to push the car out of the water and out of the traffic lane.

Several cars were patiently waiting and watching while the guy struggled. Our young lady friend jumped out of her vehicle, waded into the water and started pushing the car. They could move it, but not far enough. Soon a couple of males who had been watching apparently felt ashamed and helped push the car out of the traffic lane.

On her way home, this young woman spotted a turtle crossing the 4 lane road, with a fair amount of traffic. Sure to get hit.

She stopped, jumped out, walked out into traffic, flagged down traffic from both directions picked up the turtle and carried it across the road. Then drove home.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Good Karma I see for this One!

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like turtles

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It is refreshing to see and helps me believe all is not lost.

I too hope good Karma is headed her way.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear.

On a related note, I despise people that go out of their way to intentionally run over a turtle when they see one in the road.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16516 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I stop and rescue several box turtles every year. They can live several decades, and some are reported to reach 100 and beyond.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm all for helping turtles. I've stopped often enough to help but having kids changed my perspective in that those four legged house movers aren't worth me risking my life. I literally had to jump out of the way a couple years ago when a van driving lunatic came way too close. Sorry reptilian buddies but you're on your. God speed!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The last time I tried to help a large turtle that was meandering across the road, the sumbitch attacked me. I didn't want to leave it in the middle of the road to get run over, so I found a large branch and kind of pushed it along until it was clear of the right of way -- I was NOT going to get my hands or any other body parts within striking distance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Half way into my Hwy Patrol career I stopped to help a big painted turtle across Hwy 200 near Clearwater Junction. Several cars had to stop while I grabbed it and walked it to the nearby creek and placed it over the fence.

One of those motorists wrote THE absolutely most eloquent letter , regarding the humanity of the Law Enforcement community.

When I would have a bad stretch at work, I'd pull out that letter , read it and feel better again.

All because of a turtle. LOL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Nice to hear.

On a related note, I despise people that go out of their way to intentionally run over a turtle when they see one in the road.

any damn living creature.

I don't understand the impulse to kill like that.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Samaritan stopped to help a car stuck in a flooded street here a couple years ago. Well unfortunately the sewer backed up when the street flooded and popped the man hole covers. The guy waded into the dark water and stepped into the man hole and into the sewer he went. Found him drowned several blocks away.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you happen to see the story on the national news about the man on a airline flight that could not speak?

turns out that he could not see , either.

When another passenger saw that he was having health problems , the flight attendant was notified .

She asked the whole plane if anyone knew sign language, and a 16 y.o. gal , went to help the troubled passenger.

She held her hand in his and signed and finally he calmed down.
It was a great story , I hope its on youtube

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yes, good to hear. We watch and listen to way to much of the stuff that makes news anymore.

Try to seek out the good in the world. It is there. But gets blanketed to much by the stuff that makes news. Even happens here quite a bit.

Ones does not need to walk around with their head in the sand. Nor do they need to constantly be bombarded with all the negative stuff that happens in today's world. Imho.

Thanks for sharing her story. May God Bless her.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
You know you're in The South when . . .

While house-hunting on a Saturday morning in Feb 2015 near Charlotte, I pulled off a 2-lane road into what turned out to be wet red clay. The car slid off the road into a ditch with mud up to the axles. I couldn't get it out, but kept sliding deeper and deeper.

A woman and her 15 year-old daughter stopped, got right in the mud, and me and the mom pushed while the daughter tried to drive it out. Didn't work.

Mom was in the process of calling her husband with the pickup when 2 guys in a monster pickup stopped and pulled me out.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post