SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Martin Landau, film and TV icon, dead at 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martin Landau, film and TV icon, dead at 89 Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Another one gone Frown

Martin Landau, a celebrated actor with dozens of movie and TV credits to his name, including the “Mission: Impossible” television series, has died at age 89, Fox News has confirmed.

Landau died around 1:30 PT on Saturday following “unexpected complications” while he was hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center.

The prolific actor’s most notable credits included the “Mission: Impossible” television series, Alfred Hitchcock’s classic film “North by Northwest,” and his role in “Ed Wood,” for which he won an Oscar.

Landau got his start as a newspaper cartoonist at the New York Daily News, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 17 when he began at the news outlet, and quit five years later to pursue an acting career after turning down a promotion.

He was also “an admired acting teacher,” to students like Jack Nicholson.

The beloved actor got his start on-screen in the 1950s. TMZ reported he appeared in almost 200 films and television shows and “worked until his death.”

Landau quit "Mission: Impossible" after three seasons in 1969 due to a contract dispute, according to THR. He finally became an Academy Award winner for his role in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in 1994 after previously losing out to Kevin Kline and Denzel Washington.

The legendary actor dated Marilyn Monroe for several months and was best friends with James Dean in the 1950s.

Landau, who was born in Brooklyn, is survived by two daughters from his marriage with "Mission: Impossible" co-star Barbara Bain.

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...icon-dead-at-89.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved Space 1999 as a kid. RIP

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed Space: 1999. Although it's quite dated now, Mr. Landau acted his heart out for it.

H&K-Guy

ETA: Joat, Jinx!

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
He was good in everything I ever saw him in. RIP.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I liked him in everything he was in

I grew up on Space 1999

RIP

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just saw him the other night on Twilight Zone.

Had to tell the wife about him (she was born in the late 60s)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Sheeesh - he was Rollin Hand on MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE !!!

When I was a boy, he was the coolest dude on TV!

Many years later, he was in EDTV, and he looked wayyy old. Made me sad. But, then, I thought, "Hey - he's still workin' and acting like the professional he's always been!"

RIP Mr. Landau - thanks for all the great entertainment!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
He was fantastic in Ed Wood.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Owned every scene he was in in Rounders.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Marty was from Flatbush Brooklyn, and my dad and uncle knew him from the old neighborhood. He was more my uncle's friend as my dad was a bit older. After high school they all went their seperate ways and the rest is history.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I remember reading that he turned down the role of Spock.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He was a cool dude. RIP, sir.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
RIP. Coincidentally, my wife and I just re-watched North by Northwest a couple nights ago.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post