SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you pronounce "chaps"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you pronounce "chaps"? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Although I am aware of the origin of the word and how "chaparreras" is pronounced (with "sh"), I have never heard the shorter form pronounced with the "sh" sound--always with "ch". (Of course, I did not grow up in the Southwest cattle country.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Well, I've been to 57 states so far, I think I've got one more to go, and I have never heard the "shaps" pronunciation.

That is the way we pronounce it in the Cowboy Action Shooting community.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
To the guys (and gals) who actually use them to punch cattle from horseback, the word is pronounced "shaps".

Everybody else is just making it up as they go along.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I've definitely heard chit instead of shit.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shaps" and "chinks" (with the 'ch' sound) here in southern Nevada (and when I was in northern CA years ago, as well).

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The farther west you go, the more likely you are to hear it said "shaps." Here in Gulf Coast Texas, I mostly hear "chaps" with a hard ch, but not always.

What about chinks (the short chaps, not the ethnic slur)? I've always heard that said with a hard ch.

Here in NM and Central Texas it is Shaps and Chinks. Don't know why the two are different.

One is a direct Spanish derivative, the other isn't. Differing slightly in appearance from chinks, having a fringed leather flap folded over at the waist, Spanish short chaps in the vaquero tradition are called armitas. That style has become more popular, especially in buckaroo country.

quote:

Originally posted by rh:
They are CH-aps in Texas.

Originally posted by GT40DOC:
They are in Okla. and Az. also.

Don't know about Oklahoma, but I can say emphatically about Arizona, since I worked horseback there for most of 20 years--"No, you're wrong."

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
In the 80's and 90's I watched the world from between the ears of a horse while chasing the wild bovine.

What I picked up on was that "punchers" (Texas and New Mexico) wore leggins.
"Cowboys" (Colorado, Kansas, the Dakotas, maybe Utah and Montana) wore shaps.
"Buckaroos" (Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Ariznona and California) wore chinks.

Western Horseman began infuencing style during that time and by and by everybody began stuffing their britches in their boots, riding slick fork saddles and wearing chinks. Packers became the thing then, too.

Nowdays with my more limited contacts I think I'm seeing 1960-era hat styles such as a severe bend to the side of hats maybe becoming popular (like a Steve McQueen rodeo movie).

If I remember correctly Jay Dusard put out an oversized coffee-table book called "Buckaroo" during the 80's old-timey revival. It's in the other room but there's a sleeping dog on my legs and it ain't worth it to wake him up and go get it. Lots of chinks, big waxed moustaches, flat brimmed hats and rawhide reatas.

I made leggins (and chinks) back then and the best compliment I ever heard was when a puncher from Alpine TX said: "Now them's punchy as hell".

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
John, I meant to address "leggins" in my post above. I always thought of leggins as a specific type of chap. More than that, a specific type of shotgun chap that you step into, rather than having a zipper.

I don't know if Jay Dusard also published a book called "Buckaroo" in the 80s, but one of my prized possessions is his book "The North American Cowboy; A Portrait." Years ago I had a friend show a lot of interest in the book and looked online with the idea of buying him a copy. Long out of print, the book is worth several hundred dollars.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It's a chame people don't know the proper pronunshiation.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC

Depends on your AZ location. Here in Wickenburg, you would get a raised eyebrow for "chaps" They would understand your meaning, but mark you as an outsider..
Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Blue Oyster Bar Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
They are CH-aps in Texas.

My post earlier today was off the cuff hyperbole, as I tried to indicate with a Smile in my followup post.

Relatives from Oklahoma are visiting. I was hearing email notifications and glanced at some posts on this topic. A senior relative asked me "What are you laughing at?" I replied "I seem to have gotten involved in a controversy with some people on the computer. ... Uh, what do you call those leather leggings used with horses?" "We always called them CHaps." was his reply.

I've never heard them pronounced "shaps" before today. It's not an East Coast / Yankee thing since most of the cattle side of my family emigrated to Texas from Arkansas and Tennessee around the time that Texas became a state. Gringoized chaparreras best explain this interesting but relatively unimportant discovery in pronunciation to me.

An aside: Chaps are quite useful in logged areas of rural Washington. European settlers introduced thorned brambles for food (two species of blackberries) which thrive in poor acidic soil. Those things will rip open your clothes and flesh, which is why I own and sometimes wear chaps.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My daughter rides horses here in the heart of Virginia horse country...I've only heard them called "ch"aps

Of course, western riding isn't the primary form of horsemanship around here....so most people around here are in jogpurs

And as someone who did not grow up in that community I find the idea of men waltzing around in jogpurs a little strange.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Chieauxps, it's French.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
^^^ Ditto.

<Insert Sean Connery meme here> or would that be "shapsh"?

LOL!!!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6690 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

So I stopped by my favorite saddle maker today. and had a shat with her. Smile She's the one who first introduced me to the "shaps" pronunciation. She's from Rhode Island (moved here in 1986, apprenticed at Ben's Saddlery for 15 years), and pointed out the difference in East/vs/West ways. She now has her own custom saddlery shop.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

So I stopped by my favorite saddle maker today. and had a shat with her. Smile She's the one who first introduced me to the "shaps" pronunciation. She's from Rhode Island (moved here in 1986, apprenticed at Ben's Saddlery for 15 years), and pointed out the difference in East/vs/West ways. She now has her own custom saddlery shop.

Rhode Island? Get a rope! Naw, just kidding.
I knew an old feller, he is gone now, a helluva an old cowboy here in Arizona. He was born and raised in CT.He took a back seat to no one by the time he learned the trade. At his funeral, I found out he had fought at the Battle of the Bulge. He had never mentioned it.
Oh, BTW, he pronounced it shaps,lol.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The chaps (chuh ahps) and I are having a jolly good laugh at all of this bloody nonsense. Cheerio it's time for more tea. Big Grin

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wow, it's been about 10 years since we've had a thread about Buttless Chaps.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post