SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you pronounce "chaps"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you pronounce "chaps"? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted
Back east, we called them chaps, with the ch sound as in chair, or child.

Out here, they are universally pronounced shaps. I heard it first from a couple of saddle makers, but the more I interface with all the horse folks here, they all say shaps.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They are chaps in the Florida horse community, and I heard it pronounced chaps in North Carolina as well.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Chaps.

The dictionary lists both pronunciations as correct. The SH makes sense, considering it's derived from the Spanish "chaparreras" (as in designed to protect you from the "chaparrel" brush), but I've never heard it pronounced that way.

When in doubt, just call them "assless pants". Big Grin

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Definitely chaps here in the TN/KY/GA/NC/FL horse community as well. Never heard it pronounced with a sh sound.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Well, I've been to 57 states so far, I think I've got one more to go, and I have never heard the "shaps" pronunciation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ditto.

<Insert Sean Connery meme here> or would that be "shapsh"?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
If you're Ralph Lauren, or ride a Harley, it's chaps with the "ch" like chair.

If you're a cowboy, it's chaps with the soft "sh" sound.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
cheeks

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
cheeks
sheeks?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
If you're Ralph Lauren, or ride a Harley, it's chaps with the "ch" like chair.

If you're a cowboy, it's chaps with the soft "sh" sound.

That 'soft "sh"' sounds like it came straight off of Brokeback Mountain!!

Wink Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely CH around here

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a shh sound. Then out west the cowboys wear chinks, But that is not a racist word.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They call them "shaps" at the saddle shop here in Jerkwater, but they know what you mean if you say "chaps".

I always say "assless shaps". They always say they're all assless.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you live near a crick full of trout it's shaps, for normal people it's chaps.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
They are CH-aps in Texas.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

In DFW--no doubt. How about in Kingsville or Dalhart?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pronounce it any way you want just don't step in that horse chit.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

In DFW--no doubt. How about in Kingsville or Dalhart?

Yep, I'm a North Texan in Washington with chaps, but no horse to ride. Smile

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Maybe a southwestern thing or a Spanglish thing.
Kind of like calling a chain a "shain"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

Jerkwater is in the heart of the Big Bend, and as Texas as they come.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post