SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you pronounce "chaps"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you pronounce "chaps"? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We say "Chaaaahps", Dahling!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My half brothers' Grandparents were cattle ranchers, a place where these kind of things had an actual purpose once upon a time. We spent a good deal of time there when I was a kid. I've heard it as shaps in North Texas and Oklahoma all my life.
It was only in the mid seventies, when people from the northeast US started to emigrate here did I first overhear it pronounced as CHaps. At the time, I assumed it was more of their imported yankee bullsh*t. Like referring to getting a 'soda' (as opposed to a pop or a Coke).

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Surprising, no pix. What Tmats said is the answer.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I never heard the CH sound regarding pronunciation until recently.
In fact, as mentioned the word comes from the Spanish word chaperreras and was gringoized to chaps. Spanish speakers pronounce CH as SH, but more importantly at least in the West, you would just sound silly with the eastern pronunciation.
TMats has it right.
Maybe that's why some people have always just called them leggins.
No,not those goofy things that girls wore in the 80's,lol.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Having owned 1 custom made set of SHaps for riding and an off-the-shelf set of shoeing SHaps here in the Big Sky State of Montana, I only heard 'dudes' call them chaps as in chapstick.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The farther west you go, the more likely you are to hear it said "shaps." Here in Gulf Coast Texas, I mostly hear "chaps" with a hard ch, but not always.

What about chinks (the short chaps, not the ethnic slur)? I've always heard that said with a hard ch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The farther west you go, the more likely you are to hear it said "shaps." Here in Gulf Coast Texas, I mostly hear "chaps" with a hard ch, but not always.

What about chinks (the short chaps, not the ethnic slur)? I've always heard that said with a hard ch.

Here in NM and Central Texas it is Shaps and Chinks. Don't know why the two are different.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I believe the ch-sound comes from assless chaps so as not to confuse them with real shaps. Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Slight thead drift... Anyone know a good chap/shap maker who could restore a set of full length, custom chaps? These were originally made in Canada, and fit tight for English riding, but the maker is long since passed away.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't matter how you pronounce them as long as you wear something underneath them.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I believe the ch-sound comes from assless chaps so as not to confuse them with real shaps. Wink

Chaps with asses in them are either pronounced "pants", or in some cases "Texans" Smile

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They call them "shaps" at the saddle shop here in Jerkwater, but they know what you mean if you say "chaps".

I always say "assless shaps". They always say they're all assless.

I'm going to Biketoberfest next week. Thank god they're assless. (otherwise they'd be pants)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no such thing as assfull chaps. Gotta be assless to be chaps. I blame liberals for the whole "assless" designation.
I guess it would be like saying toeless sandals or something.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
Here in NM and Central Texas it is Shaps and Chinks. Don't know why the two are different.

Yeah, should be shaps and shinks. Smile

I just heard "shaps" the other day from a welder, who works for a local fencing company. He's a long time dear friend, and not a horse person himself, but most of what he does is for horses. He does stick welding outside for pipe corrals, arenas, welded fencing, and the like, and also TIG for aluminum horse trailer repair. He mentioned that he has just had a pair of shaps made at Ben's Saddlery, specially cut to the fit and length he needed for his job.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
ALways perplexed me, chain was pronounced shain but Chevrolet instead of Shev it was pronounced Chev.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Chaps with asses in them are either pronounced "pants", or in some cases "Texans" Smile

Despite being a potential target of this joke I got a good chuckle from it Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My my, i feel so ignorant, all this time, and i never knew any better. Even was back East for a time. Never said, nor heard anything but shaps. Even at an Ivy League school. Guess we never ever talked about shaps. Went to a lot of cowboy movies when i was a kid. Seems like they must have talked about shaps in the movies some movie? Geez i went to a lot of cowboy movies on Saturday. Dad gave us each a quarter. Movie cost 14¢, popcorn cost 10¢, and we had a penney left for candy. Wonder if i was already deaf then?

How do they say shaps in the movies? What do they call shaps in the movies?

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
They are CH-aps in Texas.

They are in Okla. and Az. also.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
If you're Ralph Lauren, or ride a Harley, it's chaps with the "ch" like chair.

If you're a cowboy, it's chaps with the soft "sh" sound.

That 'soft "sh"' sounds like it came straight off of Brokeback Mountain!!

Wink Big Grin

Lou Holtz is a cowboy????

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The cowhands from the 06 call them "leggins".

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post