SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    <$1,000 bikes....who would you go with?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

<$1,000 bikes....who would you go with? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Specialized Roubaix that is a great road bike, but have a Kona Dew for the purposes you describe. At $500 it is way under your budget, and may not be enough “bike” for you. I’m very happy with it on park trails and urban areas.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Specialized or Cannondale!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If I was buying a bicycle to haul around exposed on a RV, I’d probably buy a decent quality vintage bike for $150 or so. But that’s obviously old man thinking.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If I was buying a bicycle to haul around exposed on a RV, I’d probably buy a decent quality vintage bike for $150 or so. But that’s obviously old man thinking.

Well, that's crossed my mind too. But in practice, it'd only be "outside" for the day or three it took to get wherever, then spend it's time inside.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
years ago, I was on a similar quest and ended up with a Specialized,

the low end model (rock hopper)

it was that, or a Cannondale, Trek, or Giant,

all I looked at were similar in price,

the Specialized rode best for me, the Cannondale was too stiff, and at the time, some folks were saying they were breaking welds,

at the time I was riding in a state park on the hiking trails (rough)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at ones with front suspensions, as my Quick had just a rigid fork. I'm thinking that MAY not be needed.....but at the same time, I have zero idea what kind of roads/trails I'll see out west. I figure rail trails are the same everywhere, though I'll probably see more hills out west.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, a trip down to my LBS (well, not the MOST local, but one I prefer) has helped a lot. Talked to one of the mechanics for over an hour. He schooled me up on a lot of stuff. Now I'm a little more focused, looking at two types;

Dual sport - Trek Dual Sport 3 or 4, Giant Roam 1 or 2, Cannondale Quick CX 3

"Gravel" bikes - Specialized Diverge E5, Cannondale Topstone Sora, Trek Checkpoint AL3, Salsa Journeyman Sora or Claris

I bumped up the budget a bit, since I'm considering the gravel bikes. I need to test ride those, as I've not tried these new 'drop' handlebars. And they shift weird!! Like paddle shifters.

posted Hide Post
They shift more like a road bike.

I am considering the Cannondale Topstone Sora myself.

I have been a road bike rider for years. A gravel bike will suit me much better on the light trails I ride than my Trek 29’er mountain bike does.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
They shift more like a road bike.

I mean the way they shift, pushing the levers inward. I mean first it was just gear levers, then I had one in Germany that had pushbuttons. The Quick had like triggers, now these things that flip inwards. LOL The mechanic was telling me some are electric/electronic now?? LOL

I'm getting too old for this crap. Big Grin

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have a Trek road bike and am considering a Specialized for my next one. So Trek - Specialized - Cannondale.

If your riding doesn't need front suspension go gravel bike (suspension will typically be more weight.) And from your list the Diverge has a wider rear cassette range than the Checkpoint (better when climbing hills.) Paddle shifters are awesome, standard on all modern road bikes. Drop bars you can sit up with your hands on the top or lower your upper body when in the "drops" - this helps speed and when riding into the wind.

Whatever you get don't forget the under the seat pack to carry spare tubes, CO2 canisters (or mini-pump) and some basic tools.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I voted for Specialized because it's the brand of the recent bike (Diverge) I bought. Truth be told though, I was trying to make Trek work except they didn't have the bike (Checkpoint) I wanted in 64cm.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Went to our local bike store, ended up riding out with two Specialized 27.5" Pitch bikes. Hard tail, aluminum frame, front suspension, and hydraulic disc brakes.

Got a 10% military discount, bought a few accessories, and helmets. My son is paying me back for is. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Going to go hit some ski slopes (with lifts) next week.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I am swamped with all the specs, etc. I tried assigning a numerical value to the various components, based on their "hierarchy" within their companies, then sorting by price. The Giant Roam 1 came out on top that way.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With my wife and three kids, I do a lot of camping. With a 5th wheel toy hauler, our bikes go with us everywhere. You are on the right track with the style of bike you are looking at. You won't win any road or trail races, but I strongly suspect that's not your goal.

I'd offer suggestions on brands, but wife rides a Trek, 12 yo son a Specialized Crosstrail, 11 yo daughter a Raleigh, 8 yo son a 1980 Supergoose, and myself a $150 Wal-Mart special. The 8 yo is getting a Giant XTC Jr 24 Disc this week for his birthday. While in the store waiting for his bike to be set up, I was looking at the Giant Roam 1 & 2 as well as the Cannondales you mentioned. While shopping for the 12 yo's bike last August, I also looked at the Treks you mentioned. Honestly, at each price point the bikes were similarly equipped and looked the same to me.

For me, I'd ride bikes in the $500-$800 range and pick the one that felt the best. Then, I'd pick based on color. That would get me a bike with a huge jump in quality over my Wal Mart bike. Any more than that would be an incremental improvement that wouldn't be worth the extra money to me.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Very easy! None of the above.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/

Editing my post as I re-read your first post.

More specifically this one.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro.../elite_adventure.htm

A box will arrive via ups, you can do some basic assemble or get it assembled at your LBS for fairly cheap.

Oh and look to spend at least $150 on a helmet!

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu...-helmet-ratings.html

This would be my recommendation also. I own two bikes that I purchased from www.bikesdirect.com (a titanium road bike and an aluminum cyclocross/gravel bike.... both 8 years ago).

I love them both and MUCH MUCH less expensive than a traditional bike shop brand with great component groups included.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I dunno....all things considered I'd rather go to a brick and mortar shop. I'm not bike savvy enough to fit one to myself.

Right now I've further pared the list down to four "dual sports" (Trek/Cannondale at two different price points) and two gravel bikes (Salsa/Cannondale).

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There are second and third order considerations for tie breakers.

Those more knowledgeable can guide. But perhaps things like:

1) front fork angle (balances agility vs line stability)

2) frame dimensions and space to place accessories, if needed (water bottles, spare parts, first aid kit, etc).

3) cable routing preference (inside frame, outside frame)

4) exposed seat stem length (when adjusted for your height) - I have a stupid fear of stems breaking so when possible I try to minimize the exposed length, keeping the stem as much as possible inside the frame.

5) other.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping tomorrow will prove educational. As a back-up, the LBS guy said he'd bring in one (a drop bar with those freaky shifters) similar to what I'm interested in and let me borrow it for a weekend. LOL I told him I could drop by during lunch, grab it, take it on the 6 mile route I routinely rode on for PT, then bring it back the same day.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have had my Giant Toughroad SLR 2 for two years now behind my motorhome. Perfect for road and trails.Toughroad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I don't know I buy $25 garage sale bikes.....LOL.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post