SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, now that we have an electric stove...Edit - Decision Made, Thanks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, now that we have an electric stove...Edit - Decision Made, Thanks. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hah, we lost our power here in Maine for two days (some 500,000 were without it, and many still are!), and I cooked on my two burner Brunson propane stove that I take camping. Our generator won't run 220 volt stuff, including the kitchen stove, so the Brunson works just fine!!

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our generator won't run 220 volt stuff, including the kitchen stove,

Exactly why I converted the cooktop in the house to propane, we already have a pig with plenty of gas for the water heater, which I converted to a tankless unit so we're not heating water all day and added the stove, hurricanes take out power for a few hours or days.

Next modification will be to change the dual oven over from electric to gas...

We have the Weber Propane outdoor grill as a backup.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have our propane camp stovetop as our backup. Currently use the 1 qt cylinders but the plan is to get a hose and convert to the 5 gallon tanks. The only issue is I bought an entry grade (read bottom of the line) model and we do NOT have much control over the heat. There are control knob that turn almost in a circle but it's all or nothing.

Posts: 591 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
The Wife wants a backup for extended power outages.

She was thinking gas grill, but we NEVER grill, it would have to sit out side and would rot out before it wore out. Plus, one with even just 2 side burners cost more than the freakin' stove did!

So, I'm thinking something like a 2 burner propane camp stove. Easy to store, easy to set up outside, good enough for emergency cooking.

Looking for suggestions in that vein or suggestions for alternatives.

I cannot fathom life without grilling outdoors.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
so you went from gas to electric and now she wants a backup gas?

Yup. Wimmens.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
Hah, we lost our power here in Maine for two days (some 500,000 were without it, and many still are!), and I cooked on my two burner Brunson propane stove that I take camping. Our generator won't run 220 volt stuff, including the kitchen stove, so the Brunson works just fine!!

Stove top elements only need 110.
You could also think about a bigger generator.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you look at the PRICES on those? Eek

Yep. Mine was $370 in May 2002 from a commercial supplier in Delaware, picked up. It has been outside in a roll-up-door metal cabinet for 15+ years, relocations, thru all the seasons, not yet cleaned once, and performs perfectly every time.

You can get something similar for $40, but the big heavy commercial ones have 30k BTUs per burner and are heavy enough to be stable.

Personally, I do want a smaller version for tailgate camping. A step up from this butane range.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Pick up a generator and wire the house. When we lost power I shut the panel off, plug the generator in and go. We watch the power load but haven't had any issues. I start the fall with 12 gallons of stabilized gas.
Yes we have a grill and fill the porpane bottle each fall.
Yes, we have a two burner camp stove with the green bottles.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Pick up a generator and wire the house. When we lost power I shut the panel off, plug the generator in and go. We watch the power load but haven't had any issues. I start the fall with 12 gallons of stabilized gas.

Waaaaay ahead of ya. 14KW Kohler, autostart/autotransfer.

Stove outlet not on the transfer switch tho. Didn't need it when we had gas. Need to research how much of a load the stove is, might have to move things around a little.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Yep. Mine was $370 in May 2002 from a commercial supplier in Delaware, picked up. It has been outside in a roll-up-door metal cabinet for 15+ years, relocations, thru all the seasons, not yet cleaned once, and performs perfectly every time.

You can get something similar for $40, but the big heavy commercial ones have 30k BTUs per burner and are heavy enough to be stable.

Personally, I do want a smaller version for tailgate camping. A step up from this butane range.

I must've been looking at the wrong link. The ones I saw started around $1100.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

Waaaaay ahead of ya. 14KW Kohler, autostart/autotransfer.

Stove outlet not on the transfer switch tho. Didn't need it when we had gas. Need to research how much of a load the stove is, might have to move things around a little.

I'm not an electrician, but if I were you I would have the oven added. It probably is not a big deal.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post