SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, now that we have an electric stove...Edit - Decision Made, Thanks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, now that we have an electric stove...Edit - Decision Made, Thanks. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The Wife wants a backup for extended power outages.

She was thinking gas grill, but we NEVER grill, it would have to sit out side and would rot out before it wore out. Plus, one with even just 2 side burners cost more than the freakin' stove did!

So, I'm thinking something like a 2 burner propane camp stove. Easy to store, easy to set up outside, good enough for emergency cooking.

Looking for suggestions in that vein or suggestions for alternatives.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
All a part of their plot to drive men to strong drink.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Not grill? You a commie or sumptin????

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
All a part of their plot to drive men to strong drink.

Tell me about it. I haven't had a drink in over 20 years, but some days it's a VERY close thing...

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Not grill? You a commie or sumptin????

I have a defect somewhere in my Guy DNA. Don't watch sports, don't grill.

I should probably apply for Protected Class status... Big Grin

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Propane catering stove? They make them as small as single burner. They also make entirely self contained butane versions as well.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This and a propane tank would do just fine.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayou...utdoor-Stove/4136578

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get a 2 burner camp stove then if a grill doesn't make sense for you.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
APW Wyott GHP-2i Dual Burner Countertop Range, the orifices to convert to propane, and a 30# tank. You'll be set for two months.

http://www.apwwyott.com/products/champion/hot-plates

Set this up outside the back door with an easy-off enclosure, and you'll probably start cooking the messy-smelly-smoky stuff outside.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
We have one of these units from Northern Tool. Coupled with an LP tank it does well with everything from heating oil for deep frying to a slow simmer for soups, stews, etc.

https://www.northerntool.com/s.../product_15490_15490

Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I think you are spot on with the Coleman type stove. Mine runs on white gas or I can put regular through a filter and use it.

It's nice and easy to store and if there ever was any catastrophic event I'm guessing that regular gas will be easier to obtain than propane.

Just use it a couple of times after you get it to make sure you are comfortable with operating it prior to needing it.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a nice stand up unit I'd recommend a Camp Chef. Cast iron burners, heavy duty frame, and breaks down into a relatively compact package.

We use one while in elk camp and it is a solid piece of gear. Think two turkey fryers mounted next to each other. Kicks the normal camp stove in every category but weight.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
so you went from gas to electric and now she wants a backup gas?

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Weber Q. Small and can store it on a shelf in garage.

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
This and a propane tank would do just fine.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayou...utdoor-Stove/4136578

I actually have one of those. Great for deep frying turkeys, lacks a little finesse for frying eggs...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
so you went from gas to electric and now she wants a backup gas?

Yup. Wimmens.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
APW Wyott GHP-2i Dual Burner Countertop Range, the orifices to convert to propane, and a 30# tank. You'll be set for two months.

http://www.apwwyott.com/products/champion/hot-plates

Set this up outside the back door with an easy-off enclosure, and you'll probably start cooking the messy-smelly-smoky stuff outside.

Did you look at the PRICES on those? Eek

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If you're looking for a nice stand up unit I'd recommend a Camp Chef. Cast iron burners, heavy duty frame, and breaks down into a relatively compact package.

We use one while in elk camp and it is a solid piece of gear. Think two turkey fryers mounted next to each other. Kicks the normal camp stove in every category but weight.

Yup, I think that's the best balance between price, usability and convenience. Ordered one from Amazon.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

I second that recommendation.

I leave one side open and have a cast iron flat top for the other side.

Open side is used for a wok sometimes or I can boil water, use a cast iron skillet, etc.

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used Camp Chef stoves before. They're good quality.

We used to have a Coleman Roadtrip for car camping, and it was very handy. It's easy to use and clean, has wheels for easy transport, and it folds flat for storage. It's a bit handier than a Camp Chef.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman...rds=coleman+roadtrip

It uses the small green propane cannisters, which are available at just about any store that sells camping gear, or you can buy an adapter hose to use a full-size propane tank.

It comes with traditional grill grates, but you can also buy a griddle top or stove burner top to replace the grates, which makes it very versatile.

For someone who also wanted to use it on occasion for grilling or take it with them while camping, I'd recommend the Coleman Roadtrip over the Camp Chef. But for your situation, the Camp Chef should work well.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post