SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your retirement timing philosophy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your retirement timing philosophy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My plan is to retire before 50. Depending on my disability rating I may retire at 44 when I hit my twenty year mark in the Army. I enjoy my free time too much to work any longer than that. I've been aggressive with retirement savings for many years now. That coupled with Army retirement and disability will provide more than I spend now.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on how much you like your work. You could probably maintain your license to practice and retire, then come back in a few years if you decided you needed to do so, soetmhng along the line of fill in work, perhaps?
My ever constant concern would be health, and any issues that might be coming down the pipe.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I just retired past Friday. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Age 60, 401K, pension, some savings. Rolling over into a IRA of course. Moving from Virginia to Missouri. Got a lot planned. I will not be sitting on my ass. Find a decent easy job part time or even full time maybe to help fund my habits..Guns & ammo, cigars,etc.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7659 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I worked too much when I was young but got a chance to sell my business at age 46 with enough lifetime income to live modestly comfortable. I retired and have made more money w/out really trying than I did working.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
$2 mil in the bank/retirement accounts is our goal. That's the main reason I drive a hand me down 93 Honda and the wife drives a 99 4Runner. We're 6 years in to a 20 year mortgage. Save, save, save is our motto (although it sucks sometimes).

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your retirement timing philosophy

Three days before the funeral. Frown

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 58 and could go just about any time. Will probably hold off till 60. Makes it easier to live the lifestyle I'll want to live.

Work is pretty good now but if it takes a negative turn or my health goes at all I'll be done working.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 43. I plan on leaving my full time job sometime after pension eligibility at age 57. I am saving in addition to my required pension contribution in order to try to meet that goal. I will work part or full time at something that I enjoy - basically to pay for insurance.

After watching my parents and older relatives advance in age, I have decided that I want to maximize the years where I will hopefully have enough health and physically fitness to do the activities I enjoy. I've seen too many people work beyond that threshold.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
$2 mil in the bank/retirement accounts is our goal.

That sounds about right for 2 people. Good goal!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
What's your retirement timing philosophy

Three days before the funeral. Frown

Sounds about right.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
At age 58, I had 25 years with Intel as an Electrical Engineer. I was given an Early Retirement "option".
The option was take a years worth of pay and benefits and leave now, or risk being canned in 3 months. It was their way of dumping old, high payed employees for younger, off-shore folks. Mad
Fortunately, my financial advisor told me 2 years earlier that I could retire if I wanted.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
I successfully made my ‘age of retirement’ decision, many years ago, based on REAL data from a large west coast aerospace company. The engineers had kept actual data on over 5000 retirees for their actual age at retirement and actual eventual date of death.
When plotting retirement age against the actual date of death, an absolute result became apparent:
- For every year of age up through age 55, the ratio was one for one.
- After age 55 the slope of the line broke and showed longevity dropped to 6 months per additional year worked before expiring. Stress I guess. A similar trend shows for the military.
I then retired in 1995 at 55 years of age (23 years ago); Still in good health and enjoying life.
I’ve kept in touch with old friends and the latest data base is now approaching 8000 retirees – same break point.
Just sayin’

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was 58 I planned on retiring when I was 62, then my son was paralyzed in an auto accident.

The only thing I'd really thought I would do when I retired was travel with my wife. Since we were now the caregivers for our son and he couldn't travel I adjusted my expectations and continued to work. When I turned 64 my quadriplegic son was living independently and got married.

By the time that happened I realized I liked working. I delayed taking Social Security until I was 70 (My combined Social Security and my wife's SS Benefit are about $50,000/year). This is added to my earned income and we're doing pretty well.

I'm still working and hope I can work until they find me slumped over my desk (Man plan and God laughs). I like what I do, though it is stressful. I hope I never retire.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 708 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

min, a couple of things you did not mention. Your age and whether you have a pension on top of a retirement account.

I'll be 53 in a few weeks. Retirement will be funded with savings and sale of my practice. No lifetime pension.

The difference between 60 and 65 (five years) is a very long time.

It sure can be in terms of health. I'd imagine that there is a pretty steep decline in activity at some point. Different for everyone, but it happens to all. Time is not on our side.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I retired when I was 60 years old, best damn thing I ever did!! Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I bailed two months after I turned age 60 (at end of FedGdov fiscal year). Already had my 20+ year military retirement. Absolutely hated my FedGov civilian job in DHS (too much political crap). Starting drawing SSA at age 62 as I don’t believe SS will be around much longer and I wanted to get it as soon as possible, and get back as much as I could. Best damn thing I could have done.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nice coolrich, congrats Smile

min, a couple of things you did not mention. Your age and whether you have a pension on top of a retirement account.

Thanks. I’m 58. We are retiring off savings and investments - no pension.

I’m lucky in that when I was in my early 30s I read a great book (The Wealthy Barber) which motivated me to put the max in my 401k and IRAs, in addition to putting after-tax money into savings and investments.

Also key is that my wife comes from a large family that struggled in the Depression. Consequently, frugality is part of her DNA.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Done at 62. Got my military, federal TSP, nice stock portfolio, Social Security and city retirement. Good to go.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
yes, congrats to all who have retired early and are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Mnsig, at 53 and thinking about your future retirement I would plan for sixty. In a couple of years you might be pleasantly surprised that 57 might just be possible.

Just realize that you will never be completely ready and the time to just do it needs to come sooner than later if you ultimately want to pursue other avenues.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19227 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Timely thread. I just retired past Friday. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Congratulations Cliff. Enjoy!! Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post