SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does it seem like European cars are so unreliable and high maintenance?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does it seem like European cars are so unreliable and high maintenance? Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
In case any of you missed it - ConsumerReports rates Audi, BMW, Porsche, and Subaru as the top luxury brands in quality/reliability.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
In case any of you missed it - ConsumerReports rates Audi, BMW, Porsche, and Subaru as the top luxury brands in quality/reliability.

Audi and BMW? Roll Eyes And Subaru has their share of engine problems.

Porsche does have quality figured out and it's reflected in the resale vales.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Subaru's problems are with the new 2.0 motor. The 2.5 was bullet proof.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Porsche does have quality figured out and it's reflected in the resale vales.

The same report ranked Kia at #6. That beats out a boat load of big name brands. My 2011 Sorento has 56k on it with zero issues. Go figure.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Subaru is considered a luxury brand?!?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Toyotas are just uninspired. I just can't do it.

This is how...

Daily driver: 2009 Toyota Yaris...
Weekender: 1987 Ferrari Mondial...

Smile

James gets it. I also have multiple vehicles. I really like German cars, but not being required to replace my daily driver with a brand new one every 3 years just to keep it reliable helps free me up for lots of other fun toys.

Daily driver: 2003 Lexus IS300 w/170k miles and still running like a champ. 100% reliable, never had a single thing break. Excellent 2JZ GTE inline-6 engine from the Supra, still more fun to drive than a comparable 3-series, doesn't cost me anything to keep driving it.

Weekend toy: Porsche 993 custom single turbo beast with lots of mods. Inspiring? Yes. Cool

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Someone actually still reads Consumer Reports? For automotive ratings?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had several BMWs. Followed up by several Infinitis. I like my Infinitis "infinitely" better. Smile My first BMW 325ci had a brake problem on the first on-ramp to the highway after I picked it up from the dealer. Fun to drive, but costly to maintain (and I had some maintenance issues). My 2010 G37xS had been rock-solid for 127,000 miles. More reliable than than my 323 BMW, more power, includes AWD, and costs less to purchase and to maintain. Plus, for service, they come to my office, pick it up, and leave a loaner. BMW refused to do that.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

The old (2002-2005) 2.0 turbos were solid.

2.5s suffer from continuous oil starvation issues, especially 08 and later.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
I guess you're not old enough to remember American cars that were designed to rust out and fall apart - even if they were assembled properly... What was the old formula? The dealership would make 40% on the original sale and 60% on maintenance/repair?

We can largely thank the Japanese for changing that.

I think it's safe to say that English cars deserve their reputation and French cars are mostly lemonsWink but most of the German, Italian and Swedish cars were well built, quality machines and let's face it - the quality and reliability of almost all automobiles has improved dramatically in the last 30 or 40 years.

I've owned 6 Chevy's, a Ford, and a '02 Nissan Pathfinder (great vehicle) - most were pre-owned. One or two were lovingly cared for - most were "rode hard and put up wet" which I suspect had something to do with maintenance/reliability.

My wife leased a Cadillac Catera when we got married. When the lease was up we test drove Audi's, Mercede's, Lexus's, Toyota's, Caddy's and the BMW. It was no contest. The BMW was too much fun to drive.

We're on our second 3 Series. The first was a 2002 E46. Leased it/loved it. Purchased the second - a 2006 E90. Normal maintenance, no major problems. Both were actually made in Germany... Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Subaru is considered a luxury brand?!?

'twas my thought, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seayall
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 BMW 550i, I love the car...very well built IMO. Was hard for me to get used to the oil changes every 12,000 miles. I usually don't go that long. Want to upgrade to a M5 in a couple years.

Posts: 681 | Location: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Smile Nice 993!!!

James in Denver
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Toyotas are just uninspired. I just can't do it.

This is how...

Daily driver: 2009 Toyota Yaris...
Weekender: 1987 Ferrari Mondial...

Smile

James gets it. I also have multiple vehicles. I really like German cars, but not being required to replace my daily driver with a brand new one every 3 years just to keep it reliable helps free me up for lots of other fun toys.

Daily driver: 2003 Lexus IS300 w/170k miles and still running like a champ. 100% reliable, never had a single thing break. Excellent 2JZ GTE inline-6 engine from the Supra, still more fun to drive than a comparable 3-series, doesn't cost me anything to keep driving it.

Weekend toy: Porsche 993 custom single turbo beast with lots of mods. Inspiring? Yes. Cool

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

The old (2002-2005) 2.0 turbos were solid.

2.5s suffer from continuous oil starvation issues, especially 08 and later.

I did a Google on Subaru 2.5 oil starvation and came up with two pages of oil starvation in turbo motors, but nothing on non turbo units. Mine uses almost no oil between changes.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
It doesn't "seem" like; they are. At least according to Consumer Reports.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Aside from anecdotes from friends, my only experience with European cars is two separate rentals of new BMW 3-series sedans in the last 18 months.

Pros:
Both were amazingly fun to drive. The performance, handling, and ride were beyond what I'm used to, and the gas mileage was pretty decent too.

Cons:
One of the two dropped me into "limp mode" while pulling away from a stop sign. I was accelerating a little faster than I would in my car, but by no means was I driving aggressively. The whole car started shaking, lights started flashing on the dash, and power was cut in half. Had it happened merging onto a busy interstate, it could have had potentially serious consequences. Shutting the car off for a few hours and letting the electronics reset fixed the problem.

Granted that's a small sample size, but a 50% failure rate is enough to cool my enthusiasm for German engineering.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

...sure Fiat is last, but BMW, Porsche, and Audi were the top three...

I was going to mention Porsche...
Back in the late 90's they adopted the Toyota method of manufacturing ( I forget what it was called) and it saved the company. I have had a couple of Porsches one of which had over 100K miles of track use on it before we rebuilt the engine. That is a testament to quality engineering.
We also ahve a Boxster S and that car is one of the best handling cars on the planet and relatively easy to work on if you are so inclined.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in time manufacturing.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I was going to mention Porsche...
Back in the late 90's they adopted the Toyota method of manufacturing ( I forget what it was called) and it saved the company.

Are you thinking of the work of Dr. W. Edwards Deming? He was the American who was credited for turning Japan into the quality control powerhouse that it has become. I believe Toyota was the first to utilize his principles.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ta_Production_System

-------------

The Toyota Production System (TPS) is an integrated socio-technical system, developed by Toyota, that comprises its management philosophy and practices. The TPS organizes manufacturing and logistics for the automobile manufacturer, including interaction with suppliers and customers. The system is a major precursor of the more generic "lean manufacturing". Taiichi Ohno and Eiji Toyoda, Japanese industrial engineers, developed the system between 1948 and 1975.[1]

Originally called "just-in-time production", it builds on the approach created by the founder of Toyota, Sakichi Toyoda, his son Kiichiro Toyoda, and the engineer Taiichi Ohno. The principles underlying the TPS are embodied in The Toyota Way.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post