SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does it seem like European cars are so unreliable and high maintenance?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does it seem like European cars are so unreliable and high maintenance? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A fair observation, but I think it's effect rather than cause.

Euro cars are so maintenance-intense that nobody really wants to own one if they can afford not to, so they lease. The rest of us buy on the used car market because the cars are so depreciated that one can make an argument for owning at that point.

The place I bought both of my M-B's at, purchased returned lease-cars, then sold them as used cars. The C320 I owned actually cost the same or a little less than the Chevy Cruze I later bought new.

By the way, the M-B was an excellent car to drive, and the Cruze is a turd on the road. The M-B, however, broke on me several times and had a nearly-inoperable engine info system in the dash. The Cruze has been almost 100% reliable, only requiring a rear-shock replacement under recall or warranty (don't remember which), and maintenance has been oil, filters, tires and brakes for these first 40,000 miles.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
You why the Brits don't make computers?

Can't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Ain't that the truth. I have a lot of experience with British built engines, and I was having this conversation the other day with my mechanic regarding a pair of our brand new Rolls-Royce BR-725-A1-12 motors. His opinion was that these were the best engines that Rolls has produced, because they leak the least amount of oil compared to our previous motors, and I differed in my opinion that they still shouldn't leak. Apparently the concept of leaky motors is just the standard, so you'll know when it's time to add oil. When it's not leaking!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
It isn't all anecdotal. Consumer Reports rates cars based on reliability, cost of maintenance, etc. Feel free to check, the issues are available in most credit unions and libraries. Last time I checked, the Fiat was the least reliable car sold in the US.

My older brother had a Fiat 124 sport coupe when he went off to college. He could never decide whether FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony or Fix It All the Time. Fun to drive, but what a pain in the posterior.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
My older brother had a Fiat 124 sport coupe when he went off to college...

That was a beautiful little car, and a perfect example of European thinking: Wonderful handling, nice-performing engine (for 1438cc's), excellent transmission, etc. Maintenance was easy if you were the least-bit mechanical, until the major stuff started to go.

I raced a 124TC in SCCA Showroom Stock Sedan, then drove it on the street for several years afterwards, until the cost of maintenance exceeded the cost to replace. That was 4 years, and about 45,000 miles.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I don't know that you can lump British cars in with European cars. European cars have their issues, but with British cars it is a continuing saga of Fuel pump, Water pump, Clutch, rinse and repeat. I won't mention Lucas electronics as that has already been covered. Oh, and Solex carburetors were designed for chaps that didn't have anything better to do every other weekend than take them apart and clean the varnish off the needle with a bit of steel wool. The nice thing I can say about the G reg Morris 1300 I had when I was working in London back in the mid eighties was that I didn't drive it enough to have to do the fuel pump, water pump, clutch dance on it. That damned Solex carb made up for it though...

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Didn't Lucas go out of business in the mid-90s?

And even now British cars are unreliable. So maybe the tradition carries on?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've had almost no maintenance issues with my two Mercedes. I'll continue to buy American trucks and German cars until I experience otherwise, not just read about it on the internet.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Didn't Lucas go out of business in the mid-90s?

And even now British cars are unreliable. So maybe the tradition carries on?

Looks like they shorted out for the final time in 1996. Their products were pathetic, but I also had Marelli failures on my Fiat and Alfa.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I've had almost no maintenance issues with my two Mercedes. I'll continue to buy American trucks and German cars until I experience otherwise, not just read about it on the internet.

How old were they when you let them go?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Sold a 2009 E-Class back in December. It had ~125k. Tires were expensive because they are asymmetrical and cannot be rotated front to back. I think I fixed a tensioner pulley and maybe one other thing. I think I spent about $1200 on it actually fixing things in 5.5 years. Oil changes were $100 every 10k miles.

Replaced it with a 2013 M-Class with 38l miles on it. Fantastic vehicle.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
It isn't all anecdotal. Consumer Reports rates cars based on reliability, cost of maintenance, etc. Feel free to check, the issues are available in most credit unions and libraries. Last time I checked, the Fiat was the least reliable car sold in the US.

My older brother had a Fiat 124 sport coupe when he went off to college. He could never decide whether FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony or Fix It All the Time. Fun to drive, but what a pain in the posterior.

sure Fiat is last, but BMW, Porsche, and Audi were the top three...

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Forum claims of no maintenance issues with MB, BMW, and the rest are anecdotal evidence. The real proof is in the residual values and resale values of these cars. Values are in the tank for a reason.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
In my HS days, a friend of mine and I went together and bought a used....... Sunbeam.
The only car I have ever owned that hated me. And it tried to kill me once in a cornfield.
All its electrical components were made by a company named Lucas. Which was British for junk.

Lucas = The Prince of Darkness.

When the world was young, I owned a Triumph TR 4A and had to deal with various electrical issues. Even so, it was a really fun car to drive!

I owned a '65 MGB. I'd like to say it was fun to drive, but it was broke all the time and wouldn't start if the thermometer dropped to 32*

"Prince of Darkness" made me smile. Late at night on a two-lane highway west of Omaha. Flying along at 60 or 65 when suddenly--complete darkness. Jeez-oh-Pete, what a feeling.

We're giving German car ownership a try. I started a thread a couple months ago about our interest in buying a Corvette. We rented one for a weekend and just didn't love it. Ended up with a low mileage, 10 YO, lovingly cared for, garaged and covered--Carrera 4S.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I've had almost no maintenance issues with my two Mercedes...

Sold a 2009 E-Class back in December. It had ~125k...

Replaced it with a 2013 M-Class with 38l miles on it. Fantastic vehicle.

Seven years and 125K miles is about the right time to dump it to avoid problems, but nearly any American or Asian vehicle will do better.

I agree, they are fantastic vehicles, and I really miss being able to afford them now that I'm retired. My early E-Class was the nicest car I ever owned. The C-Class was a noticeable step down, but still a great car.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
...Carrera 4S.

Cool Cool Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I only drive German cars and never had an issue. I don't care about long term issues I'm never going to have a car more than 3 years.

If you are trading the car in for a new one every 3 years you are essentially leasing it, and you would likely not see much of a difference.

The reliability differences typically become apparent after the OEM warranty has expired which is what most of us here are talking about. That is by design, as any OEM would bankrupt itself with extensive reliability issues while still under the warranty period.

The chart below shows what many here have personally experienced. After the 3 or 4-year OEM warranty expires the trend of problems per 100 vehicles for the German makes shows a big difference when compared with Toyota and Honda. A 10-year old VW product will have over 2 times as many problems per 100 vehicles than a 10-year old Toyota product. The original source of this chart was Consumer Reports in 2011. I'm sure there is a more recent version of the time-phased reliability but CR probably wants a paid membership to view it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...=294563&d=1316963882

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
I only drive German cars and never had an issue. I don't care about long term issues I'm never going to have a car more than 3 years.

If you are trading the car in for a new one every 3 years you are essentially leasing it, and you would likely not see much of a difference.

The reliability differences typically become apparent after the OEM warranty has expired which is what most of us here are talking about. That is by design, as any OEM would bankrupt itself with extensive reliability issues while still under the warranty period.

The chart below shows what many here have personally experienced. After the 3 or 4-year OEM warranty expires the trend of problems per 100 vehicles for the German makes shows a big difference when compared with Toyota and Honda. A 10-year old VW product will have over 2 times as many problems per 100 vehicles than a 10-year old Toyota product. The original source of this chart was Consumer Reports in 2011. I'm sure there is a more recent version of the time-phased reliability but CR probably wants a paid membership to view it.

interesting that the graph is pretty linear for almost all makes.

quote:
Seven years and 125K miles is about the right time to dump it to avoid problems, but nearly any American or Asian vehicle will do better.

graph posted above doesn't seem to agree, though it doesn't take into account the severity of the "problem" in terms of functionality or cost.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:

I usually have two cars. Buy one lease one. I have had older cars like my last Z4 which is sold earlier this year was a 2003 but it only had 39k miles. According to the graph BMW is still better than GM and Chrysler. For me driving fun and aesthetics count for a lot. Japanese cars drive and feel hollow to me. They don't feel
Substantial. Honda paint is total shit. It's thinner than anorexia. Toyotas are just uninspired. I just can't do it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toyotas are just uninspired. I just can't do it.

This is how...

Daily driver: 2009 Toyota Yaris...
Weekender: 1987 Ferrari Mondial...

Smile

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The reason is that they are. You are overpaying for a Brand and they are notoriously low on quality except for Porsche. Owners know to sell their new BMW, Audi, Mercedes, ect before the warranty expires.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post