SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Triumph Tiger motorcycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triumph Tiger motorcycle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A very good friend just got a Royal Enfield Himalayia

So far he really likes it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Thanks for the suggestion but with a anemic 25 hp the Royal Enfield Himalaya is not the bike for me. Any motorcycle I own has to have some get up and go, HP & Torque, so when it comes time to pass a slow moving vehicle I can twist the throttle and blow by it as quickly as possible.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Heres cycle worlds reviews and articles on Adventure bikes, some comparisons with the bikes you listed, the Yamaha etc

Cycleworld Link

Thanks for the link I enjoyed reading several informative articles regarding each bike.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have a 12’ Super Tenere with 72k miles on it and my friend has over 80k miles on his. Thur are relatively trouble free and there are Yamaha dealers everywhere. I looked at the Triumphs but dealer support can be pretty thin on the ground. The only downside to the S10’s are weight. Mine has been off road quite a bit and managed it all. Ugly sometimes and deep sand is a bear when it’s loaded but it has always gone where I wanted. If you have any questions about the S10 shoot me an email. I have done a 1100 mike day and 19k in 4 weeks.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Thanks for the suggestion but with a anemic 25 hp the Royal Enfield Himalaya is not the bike for me. Any motorcycle I own has to have some get up and go, HP & Torque, so when it comes time to pass a slow moving vehicle I can twist the throttle and blow by it as quickly as possible.

My bad, thought it was substantially more than that

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I have a 12’ Super Tenere with 72k miles on it and my friend has over 80k miles on his. Thur are relatively trouble free and there are Yamaha dealers everywhere. I looked at the Triumphs but dealer support can be pretty thin on the ground. The only downside to the S10’s are weight. Mine has been off road quite a bit and managed it all. Ugly sometimes and deep sand is a bear when it’s loaded but it has always gone where I wanted. If you have any questions about the S10 shoot me an email. I have done a 1100 mike day and 19k in 4 weeks.

Great pictures, you do some serious riding, I hadn't considered the Tenere only because the styling doesn't appeal to me. There are a few Triumph dealerships close to my home but once I get away from home they're probably pretty scarce which is a concern since I'm no mechanic. You can't beat Jap reliability and you're correct that Yamaha dealerships are everywhere so I might have to take a second look. If I were to buy a Jap bike it would probably be the V-Strom or Versys.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
V Stroms are awesome bikes an I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. I would even look at the 650. I know a couple of guys that have done AK on them and they do fine on gravel roads with plenty of aftermarket support.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I’ve always liked the GS and as you stated they have a good reputation. They also seem to get ridden a lot by their owners. I’ve seen many second hand with crazy high mileage on them. Unfortunately for me they aren’t that great for those of us that have short inseams.

Have you taken a look at the multistrada?

Yes I took a Multistrada and KTM 1290 SD out for test rides last summer when I was looking for a second bike. I currently own a BMW K16GTL and Kawasaki ZX14R the GS will be a third bike purchased just for the purpose of riding cross country. The ZX14R is a great bike for day trips up to 300 miles but lacks any type of luggage capacity so it's not a good candidate for taking on a cross country trip. My GTL would handle the trip fine but I don't want to put 10K plus more miles on it for 1 trip and it's a heavy beast.

Huh? You own a K1600GTL and you don't want to put too many miles on it.

I used to hear that from Harley riders.

From past experience riding cross country on a Gold Wing.....I suggest taking the GTL on long distance rides. Longer wheelbase, reverse gear, softer suspension, audio, GPS.......

Enjoy what you already got.

I don't mind putting miles on my GTL I just don't want to put 10k+ miles on it all in one shot especially since I put 14k miles on it last year. The GTL is a great bike but I can't get off the beaten path with the GTL whereas the GS can go anywhere which is one of the reasons I'm looking at an adventure bike. The GS has integrated GPS capability and I don't care much for audio anyway. The GS is over 200 lbs lighter than the GTL, easier to maneuver in tight spaces and probably handles a bit better. So there are reasons to take a GS cross country rather than my GTL.

Ah! I thought your reference to a cross country ride meant all paved roadways.

A GS certainly would be more off road than a GTL, but I would consider a ride less expensive and lighter then a R1200GS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post