SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Triumph Tiger motorcycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triumph Tiger motorcycle Login/Join 
posted
Anyone own a Triumph Tiger motorcycle that can offer an opinion on how it compares to a BMW R1200GS in regards to performance, handling, reliability and most importantly depreciation and or resale value. I'm planning a 4-6 week cross country trip and I'm looking to purchase a adventure style bike to do the trip on. I was almost set on purchasing a used 2017 R1200GS with bags, 2800 miles on the clock for around 17k. Today I came across a new 2017 Triumph Tiger for 15800. My only experience with Triumph was a test ride on a street triple so I'd like to hear from some folks who have owned or ridden the Triumph Tiger and care to share their experience. The triumph is discounted by 5 grand which is important because I don't plan to keep the bike after the trip which is one of the reasons I'm interested in knowing how well or poorly triumph holds its value or depreciates.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I ride a cam-head R1200R, but I've ridden a Tiger.

My friend has a LC GS and he swears by it.

IMO, the BMW is the one to buy.

More potential service availability through dealers should you need it too.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of GS's over the years. I think you will find that they tend to hold their value a bit better. A search of similar situations on KBB should give you even a better idea.
For a big trip I think the GS would be my choice. At least the older Tigers didn't have as good of a suspension and had a reputation of being a bit "buzzy". YMMV

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You have good taste in bikes amigo...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motorcycle dealer here. The reason the Triumph is so heavily discounted is because NO ONE wants one. Not even Triumph people. The 800's sell okay, but the big bore 1200's don't sell for a damn. Reselling would be almost impossible.

In regards to BMW's, they're worth the world when you're buying new from a dealer, and significantly less when trading in. However if the unit is the right combo and has good miles, selling one pre-owned isn't too hard for the right price. Other factor to consider, is that the unit is a massive pile of shit. 75% failure rate of SOMETHING on the machine. You can forget parts, and forget working on it yourself.

KTM. World class performance. Total nightmare of mechanical problems.

Honda Africa Twin. Not bad. Not perfect. Far from the best long distance adventure bike, but killer in the real dirt.

That leads us to the answer. The bike you should buy. Good news! The answer is simple.

2014+ Yamaha Super Tenere ES. Not a big seller, and resale isn't high..that's good in this case. You can buy a slightly used one for peanuts. Electronic suspension, heated grips, cruise control, crazy comfortable, great long distance bike. Great aftermarket support. Extremely simple to maintain..and the best part...NOTHING will break. Ever. Literally.

Buy, have fun, and enjoy yourself!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 966 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Motorcycle dealer here. The reason the Triumph is so heavily discounted is because NO ONE wants one. Not even Triumph people. The 800's sell okay, but the big bore 1200's don't sell for a damn. Reselling would be almost impossible.

In regards to BMW's, they're worth the world when you're buying new from a dealer, and significantly less when trading in. However if the unit is the right combo and has good miles, selling one pre-owned isn't too hard for the right price. Other factor to consider, is that the unit is a massive pile of shit. 75% failure rate of SOMETHING on the machine. You can forget parts, and forget working on it yourself.

KTM. World class performance. Total nightmare of mechanical problems.

Honda Africa Twin. Not bad. Not perfect. Far from the best long distance adventure bike, but killer in the real dirt.

That leads us to the answer. The bike you should buy. Good news! The answer is simple.

2014+ Yamaha Super Tenere ES. Not a big seller, and resale isn't high..that's good in this case. You can buy a slightly used one for peanuts. Electronic suspension, heated grips, cruise control, crazy comfortable, great long distance bike. Great aftermarket support. Extremely simple to maintain..and the best part...NOTHING will break. Ever. Literally.

Buy, have fun, and enjoy yourself!

Interesting points and can I assume you're a Yamaha dealership since you directed my attention to the Tenere? The Africa Twin and Tenere styling doesn't appeal to me so they're both out. I do like the V-Strom and Versys and would go with one of them if I were going to purchase a Japanese bike. I've owned a BMW R1150R and never had an issue with it and from what I've read on BMW discussion boards I don't see many problems with the R1200GS. I don't think I've ever seen a Tiger on the road and figured they aren't popular which as you referenced is the reason its heavily discounted. I'm still leaning towards the GS and appreciate your and others input.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked the GS and as you stated they have a good reputation. They also seem to get ridden a lot by their owners. I’ve seen many second hand with crazy high mileage on them. Unfortunately for me they aren’t that great for those of us that have short inseams.

Have you taken a look at the multistrada?

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PLO231
posted Hide Post
I have a KTM 1290 Super Avdenture and have taken both the GS and Tiger for rides. If you want to smile every time you twist your right wrist, I can recommend the KTM LC8 engine.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I’ve always liked the GS and as you stated they have a good reputation. They also seem to get ridden a lot by their owners. I’ve seen many second hand with crazy high mileage on them. Unfortunately for me they aren’t that great for those of us that have short inseams.

Yes I took a Multistrada and KTM 1290 SD out for test rides last summer when I was looking for a second bike. I currently own a BMW K16GTL and Kawasaki ZX14R the GS will be a third bike purchased just for the purpose of riding cross country. The ZX14R is a great bike for day trips up to 300 miles but lacks any type of luggage capacity so it's not a good candidate for taking on a cross country trip. My GTL would handle the trip fine but I don't want to put 10K plus more miles on it for 1 trip and it's a heavy beast.

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Yamaha FJR1300!
If I had more than a 28.5" inseam, I'd still own mine. Repetitive 800-900 mile days no problem.
6.6 Gallon fuel tank a real bonus on long trips...
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I love Triumphs (own 19 of them) but the Tiger doesn't appeal to me at all - get the Beemer.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bag up a BMW S1000XR. Once you grab a handful of it you will shout... Ach du lieber!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Bag up a BMW S1000XR. Once you grab a handful of it you will shout... Ach du lieber!

I've taken the XR out twice on test rides and it's just to tall of a bike for me. I don't feel comfortable riding any bike I can't flat foot while stopped. Plus the XR has a chain and for this trip I'd rather have shaft drive so I don't have to worry about chain maintenance.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is no email address in your profile. How 'bout sending me an email via the address in my profile?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the slightly used 17 GS which has already depreciated. It'll make a wonderful cross country ride with cruise, no chain maintenance, easy tire replacement, lots of power and great handling, good gas milage, and easy to pack lots of stuff on it.
I recently traded my 2014 GSA which I bought new and other than change oil, final drive oil, tires, spark plugs, and air filter, did nothing other than ride the thing for 33,000 miles. (These bikes are very ease to maintain.) I did have the valve clearance checked at 25,000 miles but they were all still in spec. The 2017 you're looking at probably incorporated some subtle improvements and will be even better than mine was.

The big question why are you set on getting rid of whatever you buy after the one trip? At least BMW's with relatively high mileage are salable mine sold two days after it was traded.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I'd buy the slightly used 17 GS which has already depreciated. It'll make a wonderful cross country ride with cruise, no chain maintenance, easy tire replacement, lots of power and great handling, good gas milage, and easy to pack lots of stuff on it.
I recently traded my 2014 GSA which I bought new and other than change oil, final drive oil, tires, spark plugs, and air filter, did nothing other than ride the thing for 33,000 miles. (These bikes are very ease to maintain.) I did have the valve clearance checked at 25,000 miles but they were all still in spec. The 2017 you're looking at probably incorporated some subtle improvements and will be even better than mine was.

The big question why are you set on getting rid of whatever you buy after the one trip? At least BMW's with relatively high mileage are salable mine sold two days after it was traded.

I'll probably get rid of the GS primarily because I already own a 2016 K16GTL, 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R and can't afford to keep 3 bikes.

posted Hide Post
can't see the picture , or the link. Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heres cycle worlds reviews and articles on Adventure bikes, some comparisons with the bikes you listed, the Yamaha etc

Cycleworld Link

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

Yes I took a Multistrada and KTM 1290 SD out for test rides last summer when I was looking for a second bike. I currently own a BMW K16GTL and Kawasaki ZX14R the GS will be a third bike purchased just for the purpose of riding cross country. The ZX14R is a great bike for day trips up to 300 miles but lacks any type of luggage capacity so it's not a good candidate for taking on a cross country trip. My GTL would handle the trip fine but I don't want to put 10K plus more miles on it for 1 trip and it's a heavy beast.

Huh? You own a K1600GTL and you don't want to put too many miles on it.

I used to hear that from Harley riders.

From past experience riding cross country on a Gold Wing.....I suggest taking the GTL on long distance rides. Longer wheelbase, reverse gear, softer suspension, audio, GPS.......

Enjoy what you already got.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

Huh? You own a K1600GTL and you don't want to put too many miles on it.

I used to hear that from Harley riders.

From past experience riding cross country on a Gold Wing.....I suggest taking the GTL on long distance rides. Longer wheelbase, reverse gear, softer suspension, audio, GPS.......

Enjoy what you already got.

I don't mind putting miles on my GTL I just don't want to put 10k+ miles on it all in one shot especially since I put 14k miles on it last year. The GTL is a great bike but I can't get off the beaten path with the GTL whereas the GS can go anywhere which is one of the reasons I'm looking at an adventure bike. The GS has integrated GPS capability and I don't care much for audio anyway. The GS is over 200 lbs lighter than the GTL, easier to maneuver in tight spaces and probably handles a bit better. So there are reasons to take a GS cross country rather than my GTL.