SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kilauea volcano and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park **edit- more links added first post**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kilauea volcano and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park **edit- more links added first post** Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Last spring/summer you may recall that on the big island of Hawaii, the Kilauea volcano was extremely active. It began as a significant magnitude 6.9 earthquake felt nearly the entire island over, and evolved to a cycle of hundreds of quakes daily before tapering off with the lava flows at Leilani Estates.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park was closed due to the fact that the ensuing quake cycles were centered around the Kilauea caldera itself. The cycle would start with small, hardly noticeable temblors and within 24-30 or so hours culminate in a 5+ magnitude jolt.

I was at the park as security to enforce the closure from mid June to early July. I've decided to share a lot of the pics I took while there- honestly, I don't have any idea why I didn't before now.

To start things off with a bang, here is a video I shot from an overlook where I was lucky enough to witness a 5.3 magnitude shaker and it's effect on the crater itself. There was a light breeze that day, so the movement of the vegetation was from the quake itself. The Halemaumau crater within the caldera is about 3000 feet across and close to 300 feet deep.

https://vimeo.com/331793917

Here is a quick vid one of our safety officers took of the flow from fissure 8. The beeping is from his personal SO2 monitor. Slow beeping indicates below 5ppm. Fast beeping means above 5ppm. If not wearing a mask, we were told that you hear the slow beep from your monitor, walk out of the area; if fast accompanied by flashing lights, run.

https://vimeo.com/332253336

And here is a link to the Hawaii Civil Defense Flikr page. It is loaded with high quality pics and vids.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141970887@N04/

Here is a page containing links to the USGS web cams on the big island- remember, they are 6 hours earlier.

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/

I will be adding many pics from my time there- enjoy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NICE !

Was there around 2003.

Probably one of the coolest things I have ever done was walk through the active lava field there. Amazing.

Literally lava at your feet.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ll be there next week!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
On the first day, everyone gets fit tested for a mask to protect from SO2 (sulfur dioxide) and gas monitors were mandatory.

associated bank atm near me

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
First look at the crater

Kilauea summit marker- 4091’ elevation

An offering to Pele by a local to cease the earthquakes

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The view of the lava fountain from about 30 miles away

And at night from the same spot

One evening after work, another officer and I tried to see how close we could get to the active vents; we hit the perimeter at about 5 miles. The whole sky was lit up orange. The "fire" is the active lava fountain.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool photos. Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Basically, the entire area at the summit is mostly concentrated ash, pumice, lava, etc that has been compressed over time so it lack the stability of true igneous rock, or even the basaltic rock found throughout the island. It is highly susceptible to damage from earthquakes and less stabile to begin with. A lot of cracks were opened up in the general vicinity.

Trail near the Jagger Museum

Damaged overlook wall

Cracks like this run all over the place on the rim of the caldera where people normally were permitted until the event.

6’ wide, 30’ deep hole that opened up under hwy 11, the main road across the Island

The Jaggar museum and USGS research facility and observatory are closed permanently- at some point in the future, they are expected to collapse into the caldera.
The observatory

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The concrete subfloor of the Jaggar museum is crisscrossed with fractures from the quakes, and the lava rock facade is falling apart. Luckily, the exhibits and everything of value was removed before the building became too unsafe to enter

USGS cameras are set up in the observatory itself; when the building goes, it may be recorded as it happens.
capital one bank in my area

Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
thanks. terrific pics and a super vid too.

that park is like being on another planet. very cool watching the vid. one of my favorite national parks.

be careful.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
We were there about 10-years ago. So it looks like the Caldera edge has increased/encroached on the museum area? I don't remember the Caldera being THAT close.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
We were there about 10-years ago. So it looks like the Caldera edge has increased/encroached on the museum area? I don't remember the Caldera being THAT close.

From months of hundreds of quakes daily, the inner crater grew exponentially and the caldera expanded as well. It’s hard to tell from the vid but during that quake, the noise you heard was thousands upon thousands of tons of material breaking loose and falling down. The same thing happened with each and every quake over about magnitude 4, so a couple of times a day at least. The caldera is slowly undercutting both Jaggar and the research center. Both structures are doomed at this point. The floor of Jaggar is so fractured that the building is going out of square. Back in June, the door frames were already so deformed that the doors wouldn’t go back into them.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I took this one two years ago from the museum area. I'm guessing that hole is a little bigger now?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Look how small it was 50 years ago...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for posting. I really want to get down there to see the changes since the last eruption.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW and I were there for the first time right before it happened (Fall 2017). We couldn’t believe how fortunate our timing was that we got to see it all just in time.

Remember that Lava Tours boat that took the flaming rock through it’s roof? Yeah - we took a tour on that boat, too. (A damned good one, in fact!)

Thanks for sharing!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I took this one two years ago from the museum area. I'm guessing that hole is a little bigger now?

Yes- you can’t even frame the entire crater in one pic anymore. But to give you an idea, check out the far right; the road that used circle the crater has partially fallen into it. Picture is a little grainy but you can see how much real estate is missing. It was taken right after a large quake- debris is raining down all sides, hence the dust.

The next 2 pics show the extreme left side of the crater; the difference in time is approximately 2.5 weeks. You can see just how much material has slumped and it is an enormous amount.
where is the closest bp gas station to me

find nearest fifth third bank

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Nice photos. I was up there a few years ago.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There were some areas mostly unaffected by the quakes- Chain of Craters road led down onto the coastal lava plains and gave some great views of the vast Pacific Ocean. The little ribbon at the bottom is the same road from the top.

You can walk right to the edge and see some amazing surf. It boggles the mind that there is as much ocean between the big island to The conus as there is land from California to the east coast.
suntrust locations near me

Saw this porker running along the road- they’re destructive and invasive.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Here is a quick vid one of our safety officers took of the flow from fissure 8. The beeping is from his personal SO2 monitor. Slow beeping indicates below 5ppm. Fast beeping means above 5ppm. If not wearing a mask, we were told that you hear the slow beep from your monitor, walk out of the area; if fast accompanied by flashing lights, run.

https://vimeo.com/332253336

And here is a link to the Hawaii Civil Defense Flikr page. It is loaded with high quality pics and vids.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141970887@N04/

Here is a page containing links to the USGS web cams on the big island- remember, they are 6 hours earlier.

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/

These links will also be added to the first post.