SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possession and transfer of Parents Revolver in California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possession and transfer of Parents Revolver in California Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Holy shit I'm glad i have always lived in free states.
Sorry you have to deal with this crap, hope you get it figured out.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^Once again, this isn't a California thing. The same issues would surface if the OP lived in your state because we are talking about the Federal requirement to transfer handguns through a FFL. California doesn't care that the handgun is leaving. The instinct is to focus on California, when the real concern should be the requirements of the State of Washington, where PTP transfers are now verboten, if I understand the new requirements from that recent referendum.

I understand bigdeal's logic. Since you can receive the gun without a FFL transfer if it is bequeathed in the family, and since his relative is quite old, it is like an early inheritance. Not a legal transfer per se, but impossible to prove criminality later down the road. I wouldn't make the gun my EDC in the meantime.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Actually father-son transfers in WA State don't require an FFL. You can do it with an FFL but you don't have to under WA law.

And BTW, you sure Federal Way isn't a prison cause I've been there and . . .

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I know that California law will not allow interfamily transfer from Step-Father to Step-Son unless the Step-Son was adopted.

It must be thru direct blood lines. Grandfather to father to son example. I know for I transferred a pistol to my wife with the interfamily transfer and after she shot it several times she decided she did not want it and then transferred it to her son, my step-son. All handled by $19 and mailed in Interfamily Transfer forms to CA DOJ twice. Big Grin

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...rms/forms/oplaw.pdf?

Again as stated it is all ruled by the laws of the receiving party’s state.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
I know that California law will not allow interfamily transfer from Step-Father to Step-Son unless the Step-Son was adopted.

It must be thru direct blood lines. Grandfather to father to son example. I know for I transferred a pistol to my wife with the interfamily transfer and after she shot it several times she decided she did not want it and then transferred it to her son, my step-son. All handled by $19 and mailed in Interfamily Transfer forms to CA DOJ twice. Big Grin

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...rms/forms/oplaw.pdf?

Again as stated it is all ruled by the laws of the receiving party’s state.

strangely up and down the family line but not side to side, parent child grandparent grand child is ok, but not sibling to sibling. same with sales tax on vehicle transfers. i have transferred cars between my folks and my brother. parents no tax and and from bro there is.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, no agency in WA is pursuing I-594 related "transfer" issues. Bad law and no real interest given no funding or direction provided.

Sure, if someone does something stupid and after the fact it is determined a "bad" transfer happened, some over zealous prosecutor might use it to pile on, but not real likely.

No "registration" required in WA for handguns or long guns. Assuming this this revolver was manufactured prior to 2015, no means for anyone to say when transferred or whether it was "proper".

I am in the "have him visit and leave it behind" camp, legal or not. Hell, if it was me I am pretty sure I would not loose sleep over visiting CA, liberating it, and bringing it back-legal or not.

Be aware of what is and isn't legal, act as your conscious guides you, accept the risks and consequences.

Given all the laws our elected politicians choose to ignore, I think we should get to pick and choose as well on occasion. Call it "civil disobedience".

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is not so much a statement as it is a question because I'm curious. Say the step-father bought the gun through a Cali gun store, filed all the required paperwork, and completed a 4473. As such, we'll assume the revolver is registered to the step-father (i.e. State of Cali 'knows' where it is). Now lets assume the step-father simply gives it to the op and no more is made of it. The best I can think of is that Cali 'might' discover the gun is no longer in the possession of the step-father when he passed away. And even if they did, what would their recourse be at that point on a dead person? And in Washington state, if the gun is destined to remain in the family (i.e. not be sold), how would the state ever know of its existence?

Again, I believe in the law and have done my level best to live within it for some 50+ years. However, a bit of common sense needs to come into play occasionally when government opts to insert itself too deeply into our lives.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post