SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possession and transfer of Parents Revolver in California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possession and transfer of Parents Revolver in California Login/Join 
posted
Parents live in Napa, California and I live in Washington State. My step father is now 80 years young and wants me to take possession of the .38 Revolver. I’m not familiar with California state gun laws but figure I need to default to a LGS FFL or other California FFL to have the pistol transferred out of state to me. Not even sure how many forms even need to be completed in California. Ultimately, this firearm would be given to one of my children so I want to make sure the transfer is legal.

I assume I’d need to drive my step father to the FFL, have him complete/sign the paperwork, pay the fee and then await its arrival to my FFL in Washington State? I also assume I'd have to furnish a container for the firearm to be transferred in as well?

If someone has done something similar out of California I’d appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You are correct, have it shipped from a California FFL to a Washington FFL, where you go to do the Washington process for a transfer.

The shop you take it too should provide the container and packing materials, probably bubble wrap and a USPS Priority Mail medium box.

If you want to be nice, bring both, but with the box open and the contents accessible, as the CA FFL must record the manufacturer, place of manufacture, importer and place of importation (if any), model, serial number, type, and caliber.

Have the CA FFL send it insured.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31380 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
He could sell it in California at a premium price.

Your dad may have to fill this out and mail it in.

Read Section D

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...46-nlip-09-2016.pdf?

This use to be the form needed to transfer intrastate in the blood lines.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...rms/forms/oplaw.pdf?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
'Or', assuming you're not contemplating selling it, you could just pick it up on your next visit and the both of you keep your mouth's shut.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, much of what you need to know and do is determined by YOUR state of residence. Your step father is not required by CA to use a FFL to send a firearm so he can personally send the firearm to "your" FFL via overnight FedEx or UPS. He must also file a "no longer in possession" form with CA.

This brings us to "your" FFL. Some will not accept firearms sent to them by out of state individuals, others will. Check and see what your FFL (or state) requires. Your step father may also have to include a letter of intent as well as a copy of his DL. Just depends.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
'Or', assuming you're not contemplating selling it, you could just pick it up on your next visit and the both of you keep your mouth's shut.
Seriously?
He doesn't know what's required, and you're advocating breaking federal law?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sig Marine is right that your father can ship UPS or FedEx overnight (overnight is required by their tariffs or any insurance is null and void) to an FFL in WA (assuming the FFL acccepts from private parties). An FFL can ship to an FFL using USPS (an option not available to us mere mortals [illegal]) which can make it less expensive to take to an FFL to ship than shipping yourself. UPS next day air saver helps some if shipping himself.

I'm not an expert on the Federal BATFE rules, but I believe that bigdeal's (perhaps tongue in cheek) suggestion would violate one or more of those, leaving aside Kommiefornia insanity.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Seriously?
I'm suggesting he and his family deal with things between themselves given its 'their' property. I'm not suggesting he build an SBR, hang a can on it, and head to the range, all without the requisite tax stamps, flaunting his contempt for federal law and asking to be made an example of.

We've become so prone to simply knuckling under to what others (i.e. politicians) call the law that common sense doesn't even seem to enter the equation anymore. I have several guns acquired from relatives over the years that are none of the damn business of anyone but us.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Seriously?
I'm suggesting he and his family deal with things between themselves given its 'their' property. I'm not suggesting he build an SBR, hang a can on it, and head to the range, all without the requisite tax stamps, flaunting his contempt for federal law and asking to be made an example of.

We've become so prone to simply knuckling under to what others (i.e. politicians) call the law that common sense doesn't even seem to enter the equation anymore. I have several guns acquired from relatives over the years that are none of the damn business of anyone but us.

Mkay, and normally I wouldn't think that much of it, but the gun is in CA, which changes the amount of risk involved, especially if CA knows he has it...

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mkay, and normally I wouldn't think that much of it, but the gun is in CA, which changes the amount of risk involved, especially if CA knows he has it...
Maybe, but I doubt it. Cali LE agencies are too busy warring with the federal government right to have the interest or resources to chase stuff like this. Hand it off, don't speak of it, and forget about it. Again, I'm not advocating the op carry an AR15 into the capitol building, as the outcome of that behavior would be guaranteed. This, at least to me, is a different issue.

posted Hide Post
When my uncle passes I will get several firearms some pistols some rifle. He gave them to me as a gift he is just holding them for me.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I too wonder why people would want to pay someone to record serial numbers of something their dad gave them... Just accept the gift.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm only asking because the question hasn't been answered.

DOES CA know he has it?

If not, none of my business.

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only asking because the question hasn't been answered.

DOES CA know he has it?

If not, none of my business.

Unknown. I have no idea how he acquired it or when. To this day, I haven't seen it and only heard about it recently.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
In CA, if it went through a waiting period, Dealer Record of Sale (DROS), then the state has a record of it. Simple question to ask him, did he fill out a 4473 and have to wait for it (10 days).
If not, then you are probably free to handle as you please. It's not "really" legal as has already been pointed out, up to you and your risk aversion.
If yes, then you are probably better off doing an FFL->FFL interstate transfer, and have him fill out the first form linked by ontmark.

I am not a lawyer.

NRA Benefactor

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I decided to sell a couple of guns on gunbroker, so I contacted my FFL and asked about it. He said if the buyer's FFL is willing to accept from a non-FFL, I could just ship it to the buyer's FFL. I sold one to a California resident in southern California, and one to a resident of TX. The paperwork was done by the buyers' FFLs, and they even sent me documentation showing I was no longer the registered owner.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Seriously?

Well, stoic, given your own signature line.....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I have on a couple occasions sold guns to members in another state. In in case it was a rifle. I took it to USPS, already sealed in a box that contained a copy of my DL, and shipped it myself to the receiving FFL. For the pistol, I took it to a FFL and they shipped it. Sendbin the CALDOJ form stating I no longer have the firearm and that's it. Remember, this state wants guns gone so why would they make it difficult?

If it was going to relative in another state and they happened to be visiting me and said they could take it back to their home state in person than that's good enough for me. They could take it and I'd file the same form.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I decided to sell a couple of guns on gunbroker, so I contacted my FFL and asked about it. He said if the buyer's FFL is willing to accept from a non-FFL, I could just ship it to the buyer's FFL. I sold one to a California resident in southern California, and one to a resident of TX. The paperwork was done by the buyers' FFLs, and they even sent me documentation showing I was no longer the registered owner.

What he said.

It is really the law of the receiving state that prevails in the transaction.

California could care less if it left the state.

I purchased a used S&W revolver from a Long Beach CA Police Sargent in the late 1970’s
He turned in a field info card on me and weapon to his department he sold me.

This was back in the later seventies.

It was stolen in a residential burglary in 2009.

I turned a no longer in possession CA DOJ Form on it.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...46-nlip-09-2016.pdf?

I received a letter back from the California DOJ that the no longer in possession was rejected because there was no record with them that I owned it.

A lot of firearms were sold legally at gun shows and between private parties back then. There probably is no real record of them in CA DOJ System.

Your dad can file this form and find out what is registered and in his name.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...SPrivateCitizen.pdf?

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Does he ever travel to your state to visit you?

If so, I think that he could bring it with him and you could both go to an FFL in your state and do the transfer on the spot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post