SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it time to boycott Hollywood?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it time to boycott Hollywood? Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
I know it seems a bit cliche but is it time to boycott Hollywood? I was listening to a Ben Shapiro Podcast and he said that we should enjoy the work that Hollywood puts out and not care what the vapid (my word) Hollywood stars say. I see his point but I feel like those Hollywood stars have a lot of influence on a lot of (equally vapid) people. So we go see the movies which they make millions on and use that money to bully pulpit and annoy us with their holier-than-thou BS.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Way ahead of you. Last movie I saw in theaters was in 2010. Why patronize people who hate you?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've done so for years.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did long ago, never much cared for their drivel. Twenty years since I have gone to a movie. Never have bought a movie. No cable, dish, nada.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The popcorn at the Ritz theaters is fantastic. I saw Hacksaw Ridge in the theater 5 January ... and before that, can't remember.

But in general, there's not a lot spent in theaters and purchasing decisions are not based on associated advertisements.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I normally go to the movies once a year for something I really want to see with my family. Usually around Christmas break, last couple of years it has been Star Wars.

Other than that, wait until its available free somewhere online.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
When's the last time a boycott really worked? Against an organization as large, well funded and powerful as 'Hollywood', I don't see it happening.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about some of the CW singers like Faith Hill and her husband, both hypocrites when it come to the 2AD.

The English dude who is now playing James Bond who is also an anti especially hand guns yet he uses them in his Bond shows.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
When's the last time a boycott really worked? Against an organization as large, well funded and powerful as 'Hollywood', I don't see it happening.

Wishful thinking... I know...

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Maybe change from a boycott to a protest?

- Frank Castle

Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Have for a few years now, most of the stuff coming out now is crap anyway. A few weeks ago heard box office profits were down 20% from last year. The most popular movies these days are all taken from comic books, they don’t have any original ideas anymore. Usually watch the older ones on Netflix.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The only thing I boycott is stupid boycotts

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to an inside movie theater since 1989

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't go to the movies often, but I do see television, listen to music, and watch sports. More and more of these folks getting rich doing these things are fools. Yet, I don't care. If a movie looks good, I'll see it. If I like a musician, even if I hate his politics (Neil Young, for example), I'll listen. And I'll watch my SF Giants, the Warriors, and (gasp) even the 49ers, whenever I feel like it (admittedly, seldom these days with the NFL just putting out a crap product).

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve not set foot in a movie theater since the Carter Administration, and awfully seldom before that.

I guess I can’t boycott.

I just don't care about movies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I won’t boycott, but I won’t go see crap either. Haven’t been to see anything in a long time, and cannot even find anything worth renting in a Red Box.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I let them entertain me, but I try not to pay them for it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Between the asshat actors and the NFL commies, the only things I watch are outdoors channels, the News, and the Food network.

But... The Food Network seems fixated on these new stupid "reality" type episodes where people don't even cook real food, and the News (Fox) needs to get rid of that Turncoat Shep.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get outside more, enjoy the outdoors, walk your dogs, shoot your rifles, you won't miss the boob tube which helps turn us all into blobs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I think the boycott has already begun. Most big budget movies are bombing, homes are cutting the cord, music sales are down, and ESPN will be on life support very soon. A silent majority is very disgusted.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post