SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question brought up by watching J.Wick 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question brought up by watching J.Wick 2 Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
So, he drops the rifle and picks up the shotgun next...

Rifle's (for the most part) are going to penetrate many vests or "tactical suit fabrics"

My question is this: Would buckshot penetrate a typical bulletproof vest ? I assume he's using buckshot and not slugs.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3080021914

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is this: Would buckshot penetrate a typical bulletproof vest ?

Typically, no. Think of it as the armor getting shot with nine .33 caliber handgun bullets. Lead slugs typically wouldn't penetrate either.

See https://www.theboxotruth.com/t...16-level-iiia-armor/ for some informal armor testing, including 00 Buck and a slug. I'm sure there are some Youtube videos out there as well, with various people testing buckshot on armor.

But penetration isn't the only way that getting shot can hurt/kill you. While the projectile may not physically penetrate the armor and enter the body, at closer range with some of the stouter shotgun loads there might still be sufficient blunt force trauma transmitted to the torso to seriously injure/kill. (A concept referred to in soft armor testing as "back face deformation".)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
My question is this: Would buckshot penetrate a typical bulletproof vest ?

Typically, no.

See https://www.theboxotruth.com/t...16-level-iiia-armor/ for some informal armor testing, including 00 Buck. I'm sure there are some Youtube videos out there as well, with various people testing buckshot on armor.

But penetration isn't the only way that getting shot can hurt/kill you. While the buckshot may not physically penetrate the armor and enter the body, there could still be sufficient blunt force trauma transmitted to the body to seriously injure/kill. (A concept referred to in soft armor testing as "back face deformation".)

Also - don't forget pellet spread.

Did not see that movie but it's possible at longer range a COM 'hit' is spreading to strike a target's neck, abdomen, etc.

Could also be aiming lower to strike at the belt buckle area ie. below the lower edge of the vest.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post