SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    wet dry vacs , can you get too much ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wet dry vacs , can you get too much ? Login/Join 
posted
a 5 h.p. 6 gallon would seem to suit me very well.

but it needs a drain on it ,
I have no use what for larger capacity ,

its for blowing the dust/leaves out of my garage area and drive way and vacing the car,
two or three times a year sucking water out of the neighbors basement.

I wanted to stay under $175.00.

what do you think about this one ?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sho...w/15080706#read-more

won't be used more than 6 times a year.

only concern might be that the wand may be for me ( at 6 ft 4 inchs tall)
perhaps I need to stay with the plastic tube models

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of the "Shop Vac" brand and been pretty unimpressed with both. A year ago I swirched to Rigid from Home Depot and have been more than happy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RI...Vac-WD1450/100081216

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have this Ridgid from Home Depot and it is a great "shop vac". I use it to clean my pool filters and it is nice to be able to suck a lot of water our and use the drain plug to empty. Only $99 so below your budget. Also has the detachable blower included.

Sucking water out of a basement you'll want a larger capacity than 6 gallons.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RI...CLeQlDRoCXJEQAvD_BwE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LBTRS,

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rigid. Mine is going on 15 years and is as good as new.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I once bought a 13 gallon one that pumps itself dry (drains itself) via a garden hose. I used it for one job and have never used it since and it's been sitting in a garage for 10 years now.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowes had a wet-dry vac that included a pump which discharged the picked up water through a garden hose to a location of your choice. It works great on water in the basement because you can just keep right on working. I think the brand was Shop Vac and I have bought about three of them over the last 10 years. I highly recommend them if you move much water. My basement floor drains away from the sump so I just drop the discharge hose in the sump and go to work. No sump? Hang it out the window. Cost was right around $100.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Plus one on the Ridged.. It is the bomb..and they stand behind their stuff.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop vac isn't what it used to be. I have a 30yr old 5hp 16 gal shopvac that just can't be killed. Water through the motor didnt even kill it. I also have another 4hp 10gal that is ~10 yo. The newer one can't hold a candle to the older one. It is made cheaply.
I also have a smaller 4 gal 5hp rigid shop vac. This one gets the most use.
I would recommend a Rigid.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Another one for rigid, great value.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I did research a few years back, ended up with Rigid from Home Depot. There may be better ones out there, at a higher price.

For my desired quality level, Rigid is fine. I try to keep water out of it, yes I know, ‘wet/dry’ vac.

Years back the wife vacuumed up some nasty wet stuff, then just let the vac sit. After I was smelling something I asked what was up? She said she used it to clean up some dog vomit. I went on to mention, it may work for that, but then needs to be cleaned well.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Ridgid / HD line had the HP, capacity, and a limited lifetime warranty when I needed one year before last to suck fine dirt and muck from a five-foot hole. Eighty bucks. Yes, you can buy 'too much vac'. They are bulky, the hoses take up space, etc. I spent 45 minutes cleaning my vac with plenty of water after that first job, then allowed everything to dry. It's now back to NIB spec, awaiting the next disaster job.

RIDGID 12 Gal. 5.0-Peak HP Wet Dry Vac - Model# WD1270

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I second or third the Rigid.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I have had a couple of the "Shop Vac" brand and been pretty unimpressed with both. A year ago I swirched to Rigid from Home Depot and have been more than happy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RI...Vac-WD1450/100081216

I like this one. Have had a few at work over the years. This one is much quieter then the others we have had. Seems to have a built-in baffle or something for the exhaust. Supper strong also.

The only drawback is when dumping it. There is a small lip around the inside. While this likely helps sealing and noise stuff can get stuck behind it when emptying it. Really though I will take the benefits over this small issue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago we were having trouble with water intrusion in the basement during exceptional rains. I found the built in water pump very helpful at that time. I couldn't find the one with the built in pump on Lowes website but it was on Amazon for about $140: SHOP VAC 5821400 Pro Pump Vacuum
If you don't really need the pump feature, it sounds like the forum prefers the Rigid quality.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowe's store brand (Kobalt?) has served me well. I bought a five gallon one about 15 years ago. I abuse the heck out of it, but it keeps on ticking. Also doubles as a pump, as was pointed out. Cost me about 50 bucks back then.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think the old adage that relates to safes would be safe here: buy bigger than what you think you'll need. Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had good luck with Craftsman. First one went 20 yrs and befor suffering an "accident". Second one is 10 yrs old. Bought one for my son in law for Christmas. Ace Hardware sells them. Was between that and a Rigid. Hope i didnt screw up.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Craftsman - 16gal - 5hp - 150MPH Blow
Keep your Filters Clean and check they are in place before cleaning up wall board dust - Ask me how I know that.

I added a hose on the exhaust and use a window to limit the turbulence.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you very much for taking the time to reply

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have a 35+ year old Sears wet/dry vacuum.

I hate the damned thing, but it simply will not die!!!!

Much too loud. So loud that when I use it to pull a vacuum on my vacuum chuck (wood turning) I had to leave it on the other side of the wall and cut a hole through the wall for the hose to get through.

Still trying to think of a way to get one of those new ones from Lowe's. The house brand. But can't come up with an excuse that will keep the Mrs. satisfied and quiet.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post