Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun flipper Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I sold a handful of guns a few years ago to raise cash for my truck purchase. All through a FFL as per law in CA. Only one do I kinda miss but I haven’t thought about shooting any of the guns I sold. Right now I’m trying to get duplicates of the same guns as I usually take my son or daughter shooting with certain 22s etc. I want them each to have one “that they shot with dad”

I have been known to buy guns I don’t want or need solely becuse I know they are screaming deals. Picked up a 44 triple lock for $250 once. Those deals are few and far between but need to haunt the used racks.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have sold three, when I decided that they did not meet my requirements / expectations / abilities. I have a bit of seller's remorse for two of them (H&K P7 and SIG P250).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have slowly accumulated too many and my tastes have also changed so I am in the process of selling some. I have about 5 more to go.

So I'm no flipper but I like to buy what I currently like and every once in a while thin the heard a bit.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned above a one way trap for myself. Only ever sold one. Got caught up in the excitement and bought an original LCP .... hated that little thing. Horrible trigger and got plunked in the head every shot. I research more now before I buy so I don’t have to sell em off.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have bought and sold many guns. Purchase them, use them, or store them as extras - if something comes along later I'll trade or sell off the one(s) that I don't need/want anymore to get the one I want.

Can't take them with me, none of my relatives will want them (or will get to have them)so its no big deal.

Somebody asked me about $ lost, I told them that if a buy a gun for $500 - use it for a few months then sell it for $400, I just look at the $100 as a rental fee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I know a guy that doesn't "flip", per say; however, he finds a reason to turn over every gun he gets his hands on. "Oh I sold that 19 that I was going to keep as my family/home defense gun because this guy had a sweet revolver that I thought looked neat, and I made like $30 worth of ammo on the deal."

Drives me nuts.

Find the one you want and sell the ones you don't want, but don't keep yapping about how you're trading up and making money all the time. Hearing "I think I want to get a...." doesn't hold any meaning to me when I hear it out of his mouth.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I've never sold a gun.

I've given a couple to my sons, but never sold or traded one.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't expressly "flip" guns in the manner of the house buyers on TV, with the intention of making a profit. In fact, this is almost impossible. I have sold them when I didn't like them, wanted something else (some overlap between them), but mostly when I needed the money.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a stable of about 60 at one point. A mix of handguns and long arms. I sold 20 or so of those to pay for my 3 pcp air rifles and gear. When CT's laws changed i divested my self of any that had to be registered. That left me with about 30 give or take. I moved here to Va and didn't shoot my 10 or so DW 1911s, so i consigned 8 of them at various points in the last 4 years. Using that cash flow to buy firearms i am more interested in currently. It paid for my Ted Yost high power. Kriss vector,kriss defiance, hk m23, sig x5 alround, freedom arms 83 premier.

I dont flip guns, i have no issues with horse trades. Though they are all via consignment at a ffl now. I had one weird deal in CT, since then ffl only. I have bought a few at local auctions also. If they dont hold my interest, off to consignment they go.

I grew up being told guns are just cash made of steel. I have used them to pay for car parts after sale, cpu parts, etc. To me, if i need 2k, there is a pistol, rifle, shotgun that can go on consignment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will cut one loose if it no longer thrills me and I think a different gun might. I sold my Sig P250fs .45 because it was large. I prefer the compact and sub compacts in that series. I sold the P250c .40 because it only had one mag, spares are costly. I did get seventeen mars for the SP2022/2340 .357 Sig/.40 for $1.25 a piece so I got one of each pistol. I have tried to swap a few others off but have been unsuccessful so far.

Two weeks ago I bought a S&W 2214 .22 LR pistol off a woman at my Physical Terrorpy class for $150.00. I did suggest it was worth twice that, but she did not want to bother. A gun shop near her home offered her $75.00 for it. I sold it to a friend for his son for what I paid. Today at PT the lady handed me a baggie with three spare magazines for the gun. I will give those to my son for his 2213.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have bought / sold / traded quite a few pistols. Most here on the forum.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
What is this 'sell' of which you speak???

I would have sold some firearms over the last 30 years, if only I didn't loose them all in that darn boating accident.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I grew up being told guns are just cash made of steel.
Instead of investing in gold and silver, I know people who invest in "redneck precious metals" -- lead and brass.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Over the years I have bought and sold many guns. Purchase them, use them, or store them as extras - if something comes along later I'll trade or sell off the one(s) that I don't need/want anymore to get the one I want.

Can't take them with me, none of my relatives will want them (or will get to have them)so its no big deal.

Somebody asked me about $ lost, I told them that if a buy a gun for $500 - use it for a few months then sell it for $400, I just look at the $100 as a rental fee.

This ^^^

There are few things that you can buy, use, hold their resale value well, and sell as quickly as guns, as long as you live in a state that is permissive of private party sales. If you find a great deal on a firearm, then you can use it and resell it for what you paid if you decide it doesn't suit you. I've "rented" guns for free that way.

On my local online classifieds, I've seen flippers jump on an unusually great deal (i.e., priced below FMV), buy the gun, then relist it later the same day on the same marketplace. Those types disgust me. Mad
On a few occasions, I've seen flippers relist a firearm hours later using the same photos from the previous owner's ads. They can't even be inconvenienced to take their own photos. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:

Same for me and sometimes the 'fee' is more than $100. There is no way I'll keep a gun I don't shoot and I have no one to leave them to. I've probably bought, sold or traded 30-40 guns in the last 10 years alone. I buy very few now and usually sell one to buy one but I don't have any children and can easily afford my hobbies so it doesn't bother me since the important things are taken care of.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Nope. They all stay with me!

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have only sold 2 guns in my entire life. I've traded a couple also but I don't believe I've ever purchased a firearm with the intent to flip it. I just shoot mine.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to keep just the ones that are the most useful, and sell off any others as soon as possible. My stable is about 30, which is a useful number.

I used to wonder if I had too many. Then after a training class the instructor mentioned that he had over 400 pistols. Now I realize that my collection is just practical.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I sold guns once, been regretting it ever since.

I'm going to dip my toes in the gun selling waters one more time. Got a gun that is having problems, going to send it in and have it fixed. Once I test it and make sure it's fixed she's a gonner. Mags don't drop with out my palm needing be repositioned. Can't figure how how to make fast mag changes. Luckily I don't buy the extra six mags I usually buy with every purchase or a holster yet. Hoping to only lose $100-150.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I suffer from ”FSIFADD”, Financial Status Induced Firearm Attention Deficit Disorder.

Being a poor, underpaid public servant I cannot afford to have all the guns I would like to have.

As new ones come out or my interests and desires change, I have to either fund a means to come up with funding or make that hard decision of which one in the stable goes off to appease another’s desires.

I’ve never bought a gun with the express expectation of “flipping” or selling it, but over the years I have sold several . Some I regret selling, others not so much. I think once or twice I may have made money on the deal if I had gotten a particularly good deal in the first place.

By and large I sell for less than I paid, but generally the difference in amount has been worth the enjoyment received over the period of owning the gun azs well as the knowledge/experience.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post