Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun flipper Login/Join 
posted
Are you a gun flipper? Do you trade more than you buy and keep? Is it a bad habit?

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I manage to buy them, but not ever sell them

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've sold a Kel-Tec, does that count?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only sold one of my guns to a friend who needed one. One way trap for me.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
you can sell a gun from your personal stash ????

who knew....

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a flipper in the sense of trading quickly after purchase, but I've sold and traded more than I currently own. Unless it is something with family history, I don't see the need to keep pieces of metal, plastic and wood that are no longer giving me pleasure.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’ve only sold/traded 3 guns and only 1 is worth talking about.

My first gun was a Browning Pro 40. I went there to buy a Glock 22 and salesman talked me into the Pro 40. Slide never locked on empty mag and it was so new couldn’t find holsters, mags, etc. Traded it and cash for Sig P229. I joined Sigforum prior to the Sig P229 purchase.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've definitely sold or traded more than I own.

When I was 21 I was able to buy quite a few pistols that I wanted. Over the last 7 years as life changed I found I could really only keep what I could afford to shoot, and I could only afford to shoot what I could carry, so my collection was sold off to pay bills.

I consolidated down to a small handful of pistols that I won't part with. One day I'd love to have a 'gun room' with display-worthy pieces again, but that's a long time coming.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Nope. I buy, and they stay with me until I die. Smile

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a flipper. I had accumulated a large number of guns, and realized I was aging. When a friend died I saw the "shark attack" of people on his guns and knew my wife would have difficulty handling it, so I am in the process of selling off all but a couple of prized ones and the few I will use for defensive purposes. I am also fine-tuning my defensive purposes collection. I intend to end up with a couple of AR's, half a dozen 250/320's in various sizes, a shotgun and a couple of 22's. I'm down to a few dozen. I have an appointment with my gun guy for next week, another 12 to 15 will go at that time.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've never sold or traded a gun.

I would like to transfer some to my kids, but since they all currently live in Massachusetts, that's not really possible.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought,sold and traded many times. I am not a flipper but my tastes have changed from time to time and I don't spend a lot on firearms throughout the year, so in order to get one I prefer more, I have to sell or trade. Some people love what they have and know they will keep it forever while others do not. There is no right or wrong answer.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Gun flipping" is illegal for non-FFL holders.

This is the part of the conversation where someone pipes up to point out something that everyone here already knows- which is that individuals in most states are allowed to engage in the occassional sale of a firearm to another resident of their state.

If you- as a non-FFL holder- buy firearms with the express intent to re-sell them, you are breaking the law, and if you do this frequently, you are jeopardizing your freedom and your right to possess firearms.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"I don't buy 'em, I just rent 'em for a while."

Sometimes weeks, sometimes many decades.
I grew up hearing my father lament guns he had to sell, I swore I'd never do it. That lasted a few years. It's financially and logistically necessary when you're talking about decent numbers. lol

I've made money on 4 or 5 guns. Lost money on the other 95% Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
As I get older, I have a new rule' to buy one, I have to sell one. Otherwise, I could hardly move around the house if I still had everything I've bought since 1971.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only sold a few guns. I never buy a gun thinking that I may sell it in the future.

The guns I have sold were inherited. 30-30 model 94's. and I still have 3 30-30's in the gun safe.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never sold or traded a firearm.

I do a ton of research before buying, including renting an example at a range or asking a friend with one of I can try it out.

I have one or two I don't use much, but they're nothing terribly special and would involve more hassle selling or trading than I'd get from them.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Not a flipper in the sense of trading quickly after purchase, but I've sold and traded more than I currently own. Unless it is something with family history, I don't see the need to keep pieces of metal, plastic and wood that are no longer giving me pleasure.

Me too, although I have kept more than I have sold or traded.

Keep or sell. Do what makes you happy - this is supposed to be fun.

Here is the BATFE's pamphlet about what it takes to be considered a dealer. The law says dealers are people who deal in firearms are those who "devote[] time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms." Page 2 of the pamphlet talks more about this. It need not be your full-time job, though.

It is the intention to be in the business of gun selling for profit that is the primary key. You can trade in guns to enhance a collection or as a hobby without being a dealer. Repeated buying and selling (for profit) seems to be a relatively big factor. This is the "regular course of trade" factor. It is better to be conservative, as there is no bright-line test, and the various factors will be balanced in any given case.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I buy and keep. Over the years I've sold a few, but a rare occurrence.

I am aging (now 80 years old) and my heirs aren't particularly interested in my guns. I'm beginning to think about slowly disposing of them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:
Are you a gun flipper?
No
quote:
Do you trade more than you buy and keep?
No - much like buying and selling cars, you always get screwed when trading.

quote:
Is it a bad habit?

Depends on your definition of bad. Para pointed out some of the potential legal pitfalls.

Then there is the financial pitfalls of loosing money on every firearm you buy - doesn't seem like a winning proposition to me.

Then there is the technical / skill issue - if you are the guy who changes his carry gun every paycheck, you probably don't have one long enough to be proficient in it.

So in general I think it's not a great thing to do. That's just my opinion, but you asked for it. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post