SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interested in being a Police Officer...open process in Charlotte til 5/7
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interested in being a Police Officer...open process in Charlotte til 5/7 Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I did this last time, and I think I will do this next time.

A lot of good guys around here, and I know some have interest in law enforcement.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department will have an open application from May 1st to May 7th for both entry level and and lateral officers.

Entry pay is $42,640. An A.A./A.S or B.A/B.S. is 5 or 10 percent above that, respectively. Upon completion of field training, base pay is $44,771. So within the first year, if you have a 4 year degree, you will be at $50,000 with ease.

Laterals (2 years experience, ask if you have questions) enter at $44,771 with 2 to 6 years of service. Bump to $47,010 after a month or so, plus degree pay. Entry pay increases per additional year, capped at $54,420 base for 10 years prior experience.

It's a good agency. And we need good people. Our state has one of the best funded retirements in the nation.

Ask if you have questions.

For more info: http://charlottenc.gov/CMPD/Or...TrainingAcademy.aspx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Thnx for the heads-up. I passed this along to my son.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impressive starting pay.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor is looking for Fire/EMS (working both around here) but wants to relocate. I'll try and ask him the next time I see him. He seems like a good kid.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Hey Chongo, just to give you a heads up, I'll be at your training academy from May 1st through the 5th for the state Radio certification classes the fire department is holding. I love working with those guys, everything your city does is absolutely first class.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
My neighbor is looking for Fire/EMS (working both around here) but wants to relocate. I'll try and ask him the next time I see him. He seems like a good kid.

After 12 years working a truck as a paramedic, my pay was only $18.80 or so an hour. That was a year ago.

A brand spanking new police recruit starts at over $20 an hour. I bet his math will be similar.

With a 4 year degree, officers top out at around 70k. It takes ten years or so, but it's real money. And overtime/off duty gigs is everywhere.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Hey Chongo, just to give you a heads up, I'll be at your training academy from May 1st through the 5th for the state Radio certification classes the fire department is holding. I love working with those guys, everything your city does is absolutely first class.

Well darn. I've spent the last 2 weeks out there teaching the recruits. Don't go back to work til the 8th, back at the academy May 9th...I'll still be enjoying my vacation!

-JALLEN

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

Well darn. I've spent the last 2 weeks out there teaching the recruits. Don't go back to work til the 8th, back at the academy May 9th...I'll still be enjoying my vacation!

I'm down there fairly regularly for one class or another with the fire guys. I've deployed a couple of times with them as a RADO/TERT operator, and am going back to get my COM-L certification this time around. Hauser and his bunch are top notch, as I'm sure the police side are. I've just never gotten to work with them any.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I sent a copy to my Best Friend, who has been in LE off and on for a number of years. He was encouraged by the fact that you were recruiting for your own department and that it apparently was not concerned about your doing it on a gun board. However, he said the pay was below average. (Maybe we pay better in Texas?)

In any case, good luck in getting some new blood.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
However, he said the pay was below average. (Maybe we pay better in Texas?)

That's well above average for Arkansas...

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
However, he said the pay was below average. (Maybe we pay better in Texas?)

That's well above average for Arkansas...

It's one of the highest in North Carolina. When I lateraled I came in with guys from smaller agencies that literally double their salary. Deputies and officers in North Carolina are lucky to start around 30-35 grand.

-JALLEN

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent a copy to my Best Friend, who has been in LE off and on for a number of years. He was encouraged by the fact that you were recruiting for your own department and that it apparently was not concerned about your doing it on a gun board. However, he said the pay was below average. (Maybe we pay better in Texas?)

In any case, good luck in getting some new blood.

flashguy

This is not an officially sanctioned recruitment ad LOL. I know it sounds like a canned add, but I actually typed all that myself and research the numbers before posting it. I'm just trying to look out for anybody trying to find a spot.

-JALLEN

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Passing this on to my grand nephew. Great kid, wants to be LE. Home schooled, college degree, outstanding outdoorsman.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
What's the bathroom situation down at the station?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

I'm not LE, but I work spitting distance from the academy. If any of you ever are up for a mini/impromptu SF meet and greet, lunch at Coffee Creek is on me.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
What's the bathroom situation down at the station?

Eh?

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
Just got ahold of my neighbor, and he is definitely interested. I'll print a copy of your initial post and give it to him, with the contact info.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Bump, open until the 7th!!!

-JALLEN

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Are you getting a lot of people applying?

And do you have an age restriction? I can retire in six years and was planning on living in NC.

We just extended our application turn in date by a week because we only had 14 people turn in apps.

It's sad. No one wants this job. It's a small suburb of Cleveland and pay is decent.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Are you getting a lot of people applying?

And do you have an age restriction? I can retire in six years and was planning on living in NC.

We just extended our application turn in date by a week because we only had 14 people turn in apps.

It's sad. No one wants this job. It's a small suburb of Cleveland and pay is decent.

Honestly I have no idea. I know they had a hard time getting people to put in for the Sergeant's process recently. Apples to oranges, but I'm not in recruiting so I don't have the details. I just teach out there a bunch.

There is no age limit that I'm aware of. Recruits in their forties are in every class. Not sure about fifties, frequency wise, but I've seen that too.

-JALLEN