SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread bakers a question about dough storage before baking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread bakers a question about dough storage before baking Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I am invited to a friends house for dinner.
I am going early to help cook. He does not have enough oven space to bake bread that day.
My question is can I make the dough the night before let it rise punch it down than store it in the refrigerator.
Would it be ok to bake it in the morning before I go to his house.

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong, but I doubt that you'd get a good second rise out of it that way.

I'd just bake it so that it's done shortly before I was heading over.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have done this many times when I didn't have enough time to do the whole baking job in one stretch, or to mix once/bake many over a period of time. Refrigeration slows rather than stops rising. Let the dough return to room temperature, it should (at least) double in size. Then punch down and pick up in the recipe after the first rise/punch down step. Many doughs gain flavor with a refrigeration period/multiple rises.

Long periods (a week or more) of refrigeration may encourage bacterial contamination. If you're not going to be able to finish the loaf in a week, stick the dough in the freezer instead. I have successfully baked doughs that had been frozen for two years or more with small loss of quality.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely a valid process. I often slow proof loaves in the fridge. They rise slower, but develop a lot more flavor in the process. Get to the point of shaping your loaves and panning them, then cover and stick in the fridge.

Just take them out early enough in the morning so they can warm up before you bake them. Baked loaves should have an internal temp of about 200 degrees using an instant read thermometer.

Or just bake it the evening before. It's not going to go stale overnight.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The place I worked at used to roll and portion out all the dough in sealed racks the night before to rise in the walk-in fridge overnight. Slow proofing in the fridge is definitely a thing.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem, refrigeration of dough is in many recipes, especially the no knead recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...bread-recipe-1973444

http://www.seriouseats.com/rec...ad-bread-recipe.html

Bread recipes in the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day series make use of refrigerating dough for days to have a ready supply.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I overnight rise all of my bread. And I make bread two to three times a week.

You can also do less kneading of the bread. I just do 4 stretch and folds a la Peter Reinhart.

The refrigerated rise will slow down the process - which actually lends itself to better flavor. You might find that your bread actually tastes a little better.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You need a slow fermenting/slow rising type bread like a rye if you are going to let it go that long.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You need a slow fermenting/slow rising type bread like a rye if you are going to let it go that long.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I don't find that to be true. I make white bread with an overnight rise all the time. Flour,salt, yeast, and water.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I am making pretzel bread and was not sure if I could make it one day than bake the next day.
I will make dough on Friday night and bake Saturday morning.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
When I make pizza, or French bread I always make my dough the night before, I've found better results using active dry yeast than instant yeast, compressed would be the best if you can find some.

As long as the temp doesn't go down to freezing you're fine. 40 degree is a perfect temp for retarding dough.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post