SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google. Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Well all the commercials with hot women, race cars and Danica Patrick has worn off if they truly shut down AR-15.

So I have several domains registered through GD, looking for an alternative, I'll move them off as they come up for renewal.

What service are you using to manage domain registrations might as well start the GD purge LOL

Edit, and if you have a decent email business company, we use google for business, used to use yahoo, looking for suggestions to migrate out of the google platform.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They used to be decent but early in 2018 they signed with Amazon agreeing to move their infrastructure to Amazon's AWS. With that they lost control plainly.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Most of my domains are with whois.com

The few that are not, will be migrated when renewed.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Arfcom isn't shut down right now, it's up.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They transferred their domain and hosting to another host this morning.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I recently switched from name.com to domain.com, mostly because the former allowed an unauthorized third party to co-opt one of my NS registrations when one of my name servers was temporarily off the 'net. I am not sure that domain.com is going to be better, but we will see. I have customers who use a variety of registrars, Gandi seems to get the fewest complaints, but they are focused on business customers, and may not work so well for individuals, and now appear to be tied in with AWS.

Here is a list of all ICANN accredited registrars, and a search will quickly bring up many "best of" lists. Note that not all registrars offer hosting, and other services, and those that do, generally carge a premium over web hosting-only providers. Similarly, not all registrars offer DNS resolution services so your options may be limited in this regard (if you are not already running your own DNS servers).

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
epik is who Gab moved to when GoDaddy killed Gab's domain reg.

I would have moved to Epik at the time, but GoDaddy was one of the few registrars that handled DNSSEC.

Epik apparently handles it now, so that's where I'll be moving after I confirm it.

Update

I've asked Epik about DNSSEC and am awaiting an answer from their tech team. Meanwhile I've created an account there.

GoDaddy stands to lose five domain regs just from me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Arfcom isn't shut down right now, it's up.

GoDaddy shutting them out is the reason they went down, and it appears since AWS is behind GoDaddy that could be the reason, they are up because they were shut down and forced to move.

Will look at the suggestion, don't need hosting, just registration and mail server setup.

To further that google is handling company email, it was Yahoo but we had issues, I'd like to eliminate google mail hosting my company email as well. Suggestions for a reliable company for that would be appreciated as well.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
To further that google is handling company email, it was Yahoo but we had issues, I'd like to eliminate google mail hosting my company email as well. Suggestions for a reliable company for that would be appreciated as well.

Apparently Epik can handle that, as well. I cannot comment on how good they are.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need to find out how to move my web host as well. I just renewed in October so I have time to find out how to move my site and e-mail services.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
bump as I will me moving off GD as well..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2666 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I moved my domain registrations and email from GD to OpenSRS a couple of years ago. DNSSEC is supported. Tucows operates OpenSRS, and is a long time registrar (one of the first independent ones when Network Solutions lost its monopoly on registering domain names).

For web site hosting, I moved from GD to InMotion hosting.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My brother is a web guy and deals with gun companies. He’s moving them all to epik.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
FYI Mailchimp just blocked the VCDL.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
FYI Mailchimp just blocked the VCDL.

Now blocking MailChimp on my mail servers...

Whoops! Already done--for spamming.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where Sigforum is hosted? Perhaps Sigforum is too low profile to get shut down, but this is going to get far worse, in my opinion.

In my opinion, the shutting down of websites and the refusal to host businesses with conservative and/or firearm companies and websites is a major escalation beyond just shutting down someone's twitter or facebook account.

Services like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft's Azure are far more than simple servers available for hosting websites. Each of them are complete ecosystems of capabilities that go far beyond simple hosting.

If you just need a server to host a website, there are many others to choose from besides AWS and Azure - so shutting them down is generally a temporary disruption until the website can be hosted elsewhere. But for a business with applications hosted, if the applications were built as cloud native (Meaning they were built to utilize the ecosystem of services), then they are dependent on the specific services available in the cloud hosting them. Although the types of services can be similar from cloud to cloud (like AWS and Azure), the interfaces needed to use them are quite different. In many cases, the application needs to be re-written (migrated) so that it will run in the new ecosystem. So, it is far more than simply relocating the software to another server. The software has to be migrated to the new environment.

This means the business must hire developers (if it doesn't already have them on staff) and re-develop/migrate the application to the new environment, which could take weeks or months.

This, to me, means that companies like AWS and Azure are far too powerful in that they have the ability to seriously injure small companies that have been hosting their environments there.

Does anyone else like me feel that ceasing to host systems is a major escalation? It is certainly anti-business. I am greatly angered by these actions.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up: Epik is slammed right now.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Does anyone know where Sigforum is hosted? Perhaps Sigforum is too low profile to get shut down, but this is going to get far worse, in my opinion.
Don't let me see this again, from any member of this forum. You keep your speculation to yourself. I mean it.

I'm sick of the fear mongering.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,

I apologize, won't happen again.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I found my way here by way of the locked thread. So thanks to bcereuss.

I've been using GoDaddy to host my company's webservices (we've been using gmail for the email business services). The events of the last week have created a nagging itch that bothers me. While my one company which pays around $3K a year to GoDaddy for our various website related services, may get left alone as not being overtly 2A...I don't want to trust a company so quick to screw businesses they don't like. I've recently created a new company that crafts custom holsters and sheathes, and posts video content of the creation and use of the products. Having been very satisfied with GoDaddy in the past, I dropped a significant amount of money with them to start this company and host my content. Now would be the time to move. I'm looking into this EPIK company. Any other good options?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13948 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post