SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google. Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I'm working with a well-known and respected, privately held web hosting company.

I had a conversation with them today and they set my mind at ease when it comes to their acceptable use policy. Then I did some research on other industries they currently support. What it comes down to is "as long as it is a legal activity, they will support customers fully."

I've been pretty happy with them for years. They are not perfect, but damn good. I spend quite a few dollars with them each month.

They also have a dedicated business email setups available. I'm starting to look at that now as the pricing is pretty competitive.

If you'd like to know who they are, just contact me via email (in profile). I just don't want to post the name here.

If you're looking to move and looking for managed WordPress hosting - or maybe just server space for your site on a Linux box with cPanel - I could use the business!

Now what I'm looking for is a bulk email provider to replace one I'm certainly not comfortable sticking with. Any suggestions on that front?

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
I'm working with a well-known and respected, privately held web hosting company.

I had a conversation with them today and they set my mind at ease when it comes to their acceptable use policy. Then I did some research on other industries they currently support. What it comes down to is "as long as it is a legal activity, they will support customers fully."

I've been pretty happy with them for years. They are not perfect, but damn good. I spend quite a few dollars with them each month.

They also have a dedicated business email setups available. I'm starting to look at that now as the pricing is pretty competitive.

If you'd like to know who they are, just contact me via email (in profile). I just don't want to post the name here.

If you're looking to move and looking for managed WordPress hosting - or maybe just server space for your site on a Linux box with cPanel - I could use the business!

Now what I'm looking for is a bulk email provider to replace one I'm certainly not comfortable sticking with. Any suggestions on that front?

Email Sent. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just initiated my first domain transfer out of GoDaddy. Providing that goes smoothly, I'll soon transfer the other two out.

After those are done I'll be deleting my account at Google entirely.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Just initiated my first domain transfer out of GoDaddy. Providing that goes smoothly, I'll soon transfer the other two out.

Please keep us updated on the transition progress, it's good to have an alternative,

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Please keep us updated on the transition progress, it's good to have an alternative,

It went cleanly.

I initiated the outbound transfer at GoDaddy's end as per this article: Get an authorization code to transfer my domain away from GoDaddy

I initiated the inbound transfer on Epik's end as per this article: How to initiate External domains Transfer to Epik?

Then I approved the transfer back at GoDaddy as per this article: Accept or decline a transfer away from GoDaddy

If you don't do that last step it can take up to five business days.

After I did that last step the whois showed the change in registrars nearly instantly. It took Epik's user-facing domain admin servers about twenty to thirty minutes to reflect the change.

As an aside: Epik's customer support has been excellent, despite the fact they're swamped with new registrations atm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice I'll start working on moving mine this year, since I"ve just paid the fees on almost every domain I have registered, some are just parked addresses, no real web page, just own the name...

Dumping Google mail and not having to deal with yahoo mail is next on the list...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice I'll start working on moving mine this year, since I"ve just paid the fees on almost every domain I have registered, some are just parked addresses, no real web page, just own the name...

Yeah, two of my three were recently renewed, as well. Do not care. Got to get off GoDaddy.

quote:
Dumping Google mail and not having to deal with yahoo mail is next on the list...

*nod*

The only thing I have left at Google I was still kind of using, kind of as a backup sort of a thing, was gmail. After I get my domains all transferred: That's the next to go. Then I will have my Google account permanently deleted.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in who you find to replace gmail. We initially went with them after our email server (IX Webhosting) had a lengthy blackout/crash (nearly 2 business days), followed by several 3-5 hour disruptions and a ton of lost data. IX went out of business the following year if I remember correctly. We moved our business email to gmail servers, it was $5 per user a month back then. I think it is $6 now. We really don't use much of the business suite, but the 100% reliable email server has been good for business. I'm sure that'll be true right up to the point where they decide that as a conservative owned business, they're going to delete us. It will come. It's happening to others, and it is smart to make our move away as soon as practical.

I was looking at dedicated server plans on epik, and the fees are rough. It's more than I need, I really need a dedicated IP...I may need to call them and talk to someone about our needs. I'm also waiting to hear back from Steve to see if his recommendation can support our company's needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I'll be interested in who you find to replace gmail.

I don't need to replace gmail. I never used gmail for much. My primary email is on my own mail server, which is here at home, on the end of a business class Comcast connection.

The only reason I ever had a gmail address was I used to use Android mobile devices. It went along with my Google account for access to Google's Play Store. Later, after we'd switched to iStuff, I kept it for the Android TV devices we had. Those have all been swapped-out, I've given them one last OS update and scrubbed them. So I no longer need a Google account for anything. Thus: Buh bye gmail.

Lacking a server at home I would have set up a mail server on a virtual server at a server farm. In fact one of my virtual servers is set up with a mail server, as it serves as a target for reports of our primary Internet connection bouncing. (I have an automatic failover Internet connection set up.)

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ok, one thing I can say for certain: For the love of God, whatever you do, avoid GoDaddy like the plague!

Moved one domain, my least important, yesterday. Went smoothly.

Moved my second most important domain this morning: Went smoothly.

Initiate the transfer of my only real important domain a little after noon, today. GoDaddy won't release it and won't tell me why. But they did come up with some doozies for "explanations" as to maybe why:

• The registrar to which you're transferring required it. (No, they did not.)
  • ICANN put a flag on it. (No, it doesn't work that way.)
  • ICANN requires it when it's a valuable domain. (No, they do not.)

Oh, and I left off the best one: "There may be a domain (ownership) dispute." Yeah, right. The domain has been registered since 1995. I legitimately acquired possession of it in 1999, and it was transferred into GoDaddy well after that.

My new registrar, Epik, is appalled.

Assholes!

What ICANN does have is requirements registrars must follow regarding domain transfers. And they have a formal complaint process.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sounds like GD is getting petty...wonder if they're seeing a bunch of former customers transferring domains & hosting.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Sounds like GD is getting petty...wonder if they're seeing a bunch of former customers transferring domains & hosting.

There's no question in my mind that's exactly what's happening.

One customer non-service rep. admitted, at one point, that their "domain validation" team is swamped with transfer-out requests.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Makes me glad I transferred everything out of GD two years ago.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I understand it the specific issue on AR15.com were posts advocating political violence - civil war, assassinations of democrat politicians and other silliness. Mostly people blowing off steam, but in a public forum it's not good. Slippery slope, yeah and many democrats have posted many things about violence against republicans, Trump, and his supporters with no repercussions, but that doesn't make it OK. I haven't seen any actual evidence of said posts, so I am curious what they really said.

Advocating violence or law breaking is probably going to be against the terms of service for almost any provider. Even the "good" one mentioned here earlier permits "all legal activity" so advocating violence or giving people instructions on how to illegally modify an AR to FA is going to violate the terms and potentially could get a site taken down.

So be smart, don't advocate for illegal activity or violence anywhere and things should be OK.

Now, if Amazon or Go Daddy starts saying they won't carry legally compliant firearm related sites, just like Amazon won't sell various firearm parts, PayPal doesn't permit firearm related transactions, and UPS Store won't ship firearm related parts, then that's a different story. Hasn't happened yet, but I suppose it could.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
As far as I understand it the specific issue on AR15.com were posts advocating political violence - civil war, assassinations of democrat politicians and other silliness.

So what? It is not GoDaddy's responsibility, as a domain registrar, to police the Internet. It is a domain's registrar's responsibility to be the caretaker of a domain registration. That's all.

GoDaddy has come under criticism for this kind of "Internet police" behavior before. In fact, since long before I first moved a domain to them. They had de-registered accused email spammers and other accused network abusers upon what they felt to be adequate evidence of said abuse. Some of us working the anti-spam, anti-network abuse side of things felt they shouldn't be doing that.

I should have taken a hint from that, and from the fact that few of my geek acquaintances on the 'net would use GoDaddy as a registrar.

That is a mistake I won't repeat. If Epik doesn't work out, I'll move elsewhere, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I'd ever trust one of my domains to GoDaddy ever again.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It went cleanly.

I initiated the outbound transfer at GoDaddy's end as per this article: Get an authorization code to transfer my domain away from GoDaddy

I initiated the inbound transfer on Epik's end as per this article: How to initiate External domains Transfer to Epik?

Then I approved the transfer back at GoDaddy as per this article: Accept or decline a transfer away from GoDaddy

If you don't do that last step it can take up to five business days.

After I did that last step the whois showed the change in registrars nearly instantly. It took Epik's user-facing domain admin servers about twenty to thirty minutes to reflect the change.

As an aside: Epik's customer support has been excellent, despite the fact they're swamped with new registrations atm.
does the time you have remaining on the registration transfer over? I have some that won't expire until 2023.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
does the time you have remaining on the registration transfer over? I have some that won't expire until 2023.

It appears to. My two domains for which the transfers completed have expirations a year from when they would have expired this year.

Meanwhile: My most important domain's registration transfer is still in "Pending" status

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

It appears to. My two domains for which the transfers completed have expirations a year from when they would have expired this year.

Meanwhile: My most important domain's registration transfer is still in "Pending" status
Thanks. That is my next exodus.

Edit - that's 5 fewer domains registered through godaddy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
... I'm also waiting to hear back from Steve to see if his recommendation can support our company's needs.

I did reply to you via email on Jan. 14 at about 4:15 p.m. ET.

You can also give me a call. Phone number is on my Spider Creations website.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Their ever increasing prices is reason enough to leave GoDaddy. They did like so many other businesses, came in with low prices, killed off much of the competition and then jacked them way up.

Honestly my problem is I forget about this stuff every year until it's too late, then I just renew them and grumble again. I still have a few things hosted with them, but unfortunately renewed all but one of them in the last two months. My other issue is I'm so far removed from it now that I don't remember how to do anything. lol I had to change my name servers a couple weeks ago and since I hadn't done it in over ten years, I was drawing a blank on something as simple as that. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post