SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for GoDaddy Edit and Email service company to drop Google. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
GoDaddy finally allowed the xfer-out of my last domain to Epik. 70 hours, and never an explanation as to why they held it up.

How reassuring is that in a domain registrar?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
GoDaddy finally allowed the xfer-out of my last domain to Epik. 70 hours, and never an explanation as to why they held it up.

How reassuring is that in a domain registrar?

They checked Bill Gates hit list first. Razz

Seriously, how long do you think it should take?
I would suspect it is not an instantaneous function but one that could take a small amount of time to process.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Seriously, how long do you think it should take?
I would suspect it is not an instantaneous function but one that could take a small amount of time to process.

The other two domains were nearly instantaneous after I initiated the xfer, then went back to GoDaddy's site and approved it. If you don't do that approval step it can take up to five (5) days.

If you look back in the thread you'll see this one domain of mine was an exception. An exception for which I was never given an explanation, only possibilities.

But scariest of all, to me, is GoDaddy has some kind of internal "star chamber" group nobody can contact directly that can apparently hold up a domain xfer... well... indefinitely, I guess, without explanation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
... I'm also waiting to hear back from Steve to see if his recommendation can support our company's needs.

I did reply to you via email on Jan. 14 at about 4:15 p.m. ET.

You can also give me a call. Phone number is on my Spider Creations website.

Finally connected. As is typical, delay and confusion was MY fault.

Thanks again for the messages. This thread has been helpful. Extracation from GoDaddy is anticipated to be painful, so we're doing it one business at a time...we want to make sure that where we're moving to...nothing like this will happen again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Extracation from GoDaddy is anticipated to be painful, so we're doing it one business at a time...

It wasn't for me, until it was. If you run into the same thing I did, drop me an email (addr in profile).

quote:

we want to make sure that where we're moving to...nothing like this will happen again.

As I understand it: When Gab was de-registered by GoDaddy a while back, the only registrar that would re-register them was Epik.

Back about the time that happened I reached out to Epik and damned if Rob Monster, himself, didn't open a dialogue with me. In the end my only stopper was lack of DNSSEC on their end. They've since addressed that. (As Rob said they would.)

Even then: I didn't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so I did some web research on Epik. The only complaints I found about them was they were willing to register Gab.

Nonetheless: Do your own research.