SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    While cleaning and organizing the garage yesterday ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

While cleaning and organizing the garage yesterday ... Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I had to move a heavy object, a 15 gallon tank for a small spray rig. It has about 13 gallons in it. I looked at it and said to myself, "if I move this I'm going to hurt my back". So, what do I do? I move it and feel that familiar "ping" in my lower back. I'm a moron.

Ruined all the weekend plans and I'm laid up. When I walk I look like a 90 year old and I feel 100.

Any tips for low back relief?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any tips for low back relief?

Lift with your legs next time. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I kniw it's probably wrong, but an hour in the recliner with an electric heating pad under the Trouble area always does me a lot of good.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Rum works well, vodka works almost as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sousana
posted Hide Post
Try a TENS unit along with medicated patches from your doctor.

One could also say, as in combat, TRUST your instincts. Your instincts said DON'T MOVE IT.

לפעמים אדם עונה גורלו על הכביש הוא לקח כדי למנוע אותו

Posts: 35 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
A couple of stiff drinks will loosen you up and give you temporary relief.

I hate it when that happens.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Crunches and hanging from a chinning bar help my sore, but not injured back. If you are actually injured, possibly about movement can possibly do harm.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kniw it's probably wrong, but an hour in the recliner with an electric heating pad under the Trouble area always does me a lot of good.

Ice first to reduce swelling, heat later.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sousana:
Try a TENS unit along with medicated patches from your doctor.

One could also say, as in combat, TRUST your instincts. Your instincts said DON'T MOVE IT.
Yas, but you forgot the part where I'm a moron. Frown

The TENS does help.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I did that right before I left for France a few weeks ago. I was hobbling around just like you described, though it wasn't as bad as previous occasions.

Lots of wine and cognac and a rich French diet seemed to straighten me out. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Some advil. Every four hours. Light duty for a few days Mark.

Listen to the voice in your head next time. Moving tires around is what usually does it for me. Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
2 chicks at the same time should loosen you up pretty good.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Ice is your friend. Heat later. Once you start feeling better, do some gentle yoga core exercises. They will help you down the road. Also, learn to ask for help.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Rum works well, vodka works almost as well.

I much prefer vodka over rum.
Or tequila, which has the added benefit of making me hallucinate (the reason that I haven't had tequila in over 30 years). Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a few days you will be feeling a bit better.
Then go buy a two wheel hand truck and use it next time.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
The 7 stretches at this site are pretty good:

http://www.simpleorganiclife.o...lief-1796294996.html

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonEuc:

Are these for preventing injury or for healing injury?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
..."if I move this I'm going to hurt my back". So, what do I do? I move it and feel that familiar "ping" in my lower back. I'm a moron.

I don't listen to that voice in my head either, so you're not the only moron out there. Last time it said "If you get any closer to the edge of this ditch, you're going to get the tractor stuck." Much fun and hilarity ensued.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by JasonEuc:

Are these for preventing injury or for healing injury?

It helps to prevent, and if injured helps to loosen up the muscles in the lower back. My issue is sciatica, and when that hits, those stretches definitely help.

And ibuprofen.

And heat.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hand cart (for the next time) and Advil PM before bed.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post