SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you treat a heel bruise?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you treat a heel bruise? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I got into some 3-on-3 basketball yesterday, Old Guys vs Young Guys. Old Guys rock, but we break quickly too. (We beat the college kids pretty quickly, by the way, 10 to 4.)

After just a couple of minutes in the game, it was clear that the casual shoes I wore (hey, the original intent of the visit was college football and beer!) were definitely not good for driveway basketball. I scored the first three goals and then hit the bench (okay, the patio chair) on account of a sudden pain in my foot. I got home, got Advil, got horizontal, and got the foot elevated and wrapped. Easy, breezy, right? Not exactly.

This morning my toes were a bit swollen and I've got a dime-sized bruise just ahead of the heel. I haven't hobbled like this since a full-on metatarsal break almost 10 years ago.

Ice, elevation, and Advil... anything else work for speeding the healing?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bourbon with a splash. On ice if you prefer.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think, sir!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Hopefully just a bruise and not a heel spur.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Treatment: rest. It might be a lot longer than you anticipate.

Posts: 1305 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rest and soft running shoes or Crocks. Think gentle, move gentle, be gentle.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I do have the option to work from home tomorrow... looks like I'll be doing that. Hooray for Skype meetings, right? Razz

I'm laughing a little, ArtieS: hobbling ≠ move gentle. Big Grin

Swelling has decreased, bruise size has increased, pain remains stable. Good grief. Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This happened to me when I was a teenager. Cure was basically to not step on it for about four days. I was young then, so now it would probably take a week.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Get a gel-type heel cup at your local pharmacy or Walmart to stick in your shoe. A bruised heel can be surprisingly painful, and may take a good, long while to fully resolve. If you run or walk regularly for fitness, stop entirely for a week or two, and ease back into it only after you see some substantial improvement.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you treat a heel bruise?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
This has always worked well for me.

https://youtu.be/qBJfAsVXKUY

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on crutches for a week. Hobbled around for another two. It took a while to heal fully. I was 30.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good grief, this stinks.

I'm getting around a little better today (haven't tried putting on shoes yet), but the size of the bruise is increasing.

No bueno!

God bless America.

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
Take a wooden spoon (metal works too), keep it in the freezer, and scrape over and all around the bruise. It will help get blood flowing and improve the recovery. As an aging mountain biker, I've done this lots of times to help. Good luck

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you treat a heel bruise?

Heel cups/pads
Try a gentle stretch to reduce pain and tightness. Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out straight in front of you. Holding a towel at two ends, loop the middle around the balls of your feet. Pull gently backwards to stretch out your foot. Release and repeat as necessary

Kinetic Tape: Wrap your heel with 1⁄2 in (1.3 cm) medical tape for relief from pain. Wrapping a heel with medical tape provides a similar function to the heel pad or cup, except it can be personalized and worn even when you aren’t wearing shoes. By providing compression on the tissues surrounding the heel, you can reduce pain and help keep the heel’s fat pad stabilized while it heals.[12]

Place one strip of tape that runs from the middle of your foot’s arch around the bottom of the heel to the mid-point of your foot on the other side.[13]
Point the toes gently upward. Using 3 in (7.6 cm) strips of tape, wrap your heel tightly beginning at the top of the heel pad from the outside of your foot to your arch-side.[14]
Continue wrapping as you move down towards the bottom of the heel, overlapping the strips of tape slightly so that there are no gaps between the pieces. Leave about 1⁄4–1⁄2 in (0.64–1.27 cm) of your heel uncovered at the bottom.[15]
Secure all the strips of tape with a final longer piece (approximately 6 in (15 cm) in length) wrapped around the outside of the foot

Try self-massage once a day to lessen your heel pain. Use the pads of your fingers or thumb to gently rub the back of your heel or the bottom of your heel. Stroke back and forth over the area to increase blood flow and help relieve pain. Rub your heel for 3-6 minutes at at time.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. There's improvement today.

The bruise itself is a bit smaller; the swelling just above it is still there; I'm hobbling less.
I guess this is really more of an arch bruise than a heel bruise, but that doesn't change the fact that it's annoying as heck.

I haven't kept it elevated as much today as Sunday -- when a fella puts his feet up on the desk, others get the impression he's slacking or arrogant. Who knew?! Big Grin

I do rub on it some throughout the day, and I appreciate the info on taping. I've wondered if wrapping with the good ol' Ace bandage would do it some good during the evening/night hours.

God bless America.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
at this point compression may not be a good thing let it heal on t own advil should help. Cold compression will alleviate the discomfort as well.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a good job with health insurance. Get it looked at and get some X rays.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freeze a bottle of beer. Put it on the floor and roll it along the bottom of your foot/heel. Then drink the beer.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
get some X rays.

After a short session with Teladoc after work, the suggestion was just that: "go get it X rayed." So I did.

So far, nothing shows as fractured, though the "doc in a box" said he'd refer it to Orthopedics, especially considering I've broken that foot before.

(The X ray tech said, "you've got some pretty nice hardware in there!) Big Grin

Sooo... for now it's a continuation of the ice-and-Advil routine. I'm thinking that bourbon from J3e's response may be a good plan tonight.

Work tomorrow will be a half-day, at best.

God bless America.