SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Foods you like cooked vs raw.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foods you like cooked vs raw. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will not eat sushi. Steak? Med rare to med., I'm good. Am I going to pay more for a raw nasty hunk or worm infested tripe, and put it in my mouth?
I agree with H&K except female dead hooker. We all have our limits!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Raw mushrooms OK in spinach salad, cooked = Nope (exception is morels cooked in butter)
Raw cabbage OK shredded in tacos, cooked = Nope
Raw onions only if Vidalia, cooked = OK (in moderation)
Raw celery with peanut butter is great, cooked is boring but OK in soups, etc.
I can eat raw oysters but prefer them roasted on half shell
Sushi is OK once in a while but cooking improves seafood (and stops it from wiggling)

I agree on half-cooked veggies, especially green beans. If I wanted crunchy green beans I would have gone straight to Farmer Bob. Cook them green beans, preferably with some country ham chunks. If I'm that worried about vitamins I can always pop a One-A-Day.

Note to restaurants: "artistic" decoration in sauce or condiments on the plate does not necessarily mean you're upscale or excuse you from fully cooking vegetables.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
First thing that hit me was hamburgers versus steak tartar. Never had the later nor have I ever had the urge. I mean gesh... raw hamburger? With or without onions ... PASS!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Meats of all types and eggs need to be cooked. Squashes are better cooked, but most vegetables I can take either way. If raw I like a dip with them.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
Things I like raw but not cooked: tomatoes, cabbage
Things I like cooked but not raw: celery, carrots, fish, ANY MEAT

I could eat onions raw or cooked... I love them!

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Not a cooked v raw thing, but I love pineapple but can't abide pineapple juice. Yech.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I hate raw tomatoes but eat them cooked in soups, Italian foods, sauces, etc.

Tomatoes have lots of lycopene, which lowers the risk of several cancers – prostate cancer in particular. But the human digestive system doesn't efficiently extract lycopene from raw tomatoes. They need to be cooked. Or better yet, cooked and puréed. Tomato soup. Or ketchup!

That said, BLTs are the best sandwich ever invented. Restaurant BLTs don't compare to the eat-'em-over-the-sink BLTs that I make.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I prefer cookie dough over the cookies.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Love raw salmon, almost never eat it cooked.

HATE cooked greens and the very smell of them, love raw baby spinach.

Etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
There are very few vegetables I like cooked (ironically, cabbage is one of them) but i like almost all of them raw

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Always eat Rocky Mountain Oysters grilled.

It takes real balls to do that.

Seriously, Rocky Mountain Oysters grilled? I'm not showing up for your next block party.

H&K-Guy

Right after castrating the calves, we would grill em right on the branding fire. Damn fine on a fresh tortilla and green chile. I've never eaten them in a restaurant.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I hate raw onion, like a slice of raw onion on a burger or shredded raw onion on my salad. But I'll eat cooked stuff with onion in it.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Almost threw up reading this. I've seen enough worms while cleaning fish to fix me.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm with Pipe Smoker and 4x5. I'll eat almost any vegetable and most of them either cooked or raw. There are a few vegetables I don't like either way: breadfruit, squash (any kind), beets, avocado/guacamole, asparagus, and a few others. Meat (4- or 2-legged) has to be COOKED. Beef at least medium-well, chicken and pork well done (prefer Southern fried for the chicken). Sea food must have had fins for me to eat it, and for most varieties it is best fried.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Most vegetables I like both raw or cooked.Exceptions:
  • Love raw carrots, but I despise cooked carrots. Cooking them changes the flavor into something vile (only caveat is using beer as the cooking liquid doesn't ruin the carrot's flavor).
  • Not sure I've ever had cucumbers cooked, but I love them raw or pickled.

I love cooked beef, but cannot stand steak tartare.

With the exception of eel, all sushi grade seafood is delicious both raw and cooked. I do not like eel raw or cooked.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No Compromise
    posted Hide Post
    I agree with TT. Eel taste exactly like dead, rotting rubber, although it's been a while since I tasted dead, rotting rubber.

Anyway, there ain't enough wasabi in Japan to kill that amount of nasty.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 46and2:

Almost threw up reading this. I've seen enough worms while cleaning fish to fix me.

I could almost live on sushi alone. Almost, with a smattering of pizza, BBQ, and tacos.

Honestly, quality salmon sashimi is one of the most pure and delicious things I have ever eaten. Granted, I didn't think so until my 20s/college, but I've since fallen in love with it. Tuna is almost that good, too.

Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
    I agree with TT. Eel taste exactly like dead, rotting rubber, although it's been a while since I tasted dead, rotting rubber.

Anyway, there ain't enough wasabi in Japan to kill that amount of nasty.

H&K-Guy

Fresh water eel used in sushi is (a) cooked, and (b) tastes almost exactly like catfish.

Super good, to me. Smile

Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    Technically it's raw, but it's "cooked" (marinated) in the juice of citrus, but there's a ceviche from a Peruvian place here in Houston that is dang good...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    Not much on raw tomato, cooked in about any form is good. Spinach just the opposite.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post