Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work vent Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had to get a lawyer and pay $2500 to get my sick time from my municipal employer when I left. It sucks, but it felt good not to let them get away with taking money from me. In hind sight, I should have gotten a doctors note and left early until my sick and vacation time ran out.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Just like bullies only understand violence, HR/management that behave like this only understand overwhelming shitstorms. I’ve gone a few rounds with the ones at my current job for petty bullshit. Haven’t had to deal with anymore “mistakes in nearly 8 years.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
300 hours sounds like an awful lot of sick time.
Is sick time used as time off?

Just curious.
I have seen sick time used in multiple ways at different companies.

Doesn't seem odd to me. I have 12 years on with my agency, and just over 300 hours of sick time. And it's not that I never use mine; I use sick time a few times a year.

I have another ~150 hours of vacation time too. I use that a few time a year as well.

It's just that I've been accruing for so long, plus I'm not one of those guys who takes a sick day every time I get a hangnail and a week of vacation every other month. In addition, we get small bumps in the accrual rate for every so many years we've been working (IIRC every 5 years), so you earn sick/vacation time slightly faster once you have some years under your belt.

So with Chongo having 10 years with his previous agency, if it's anything like mine, I could easily see him accruing 300 hours.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Our FOP lodge is involved in some of this. There are multiple issues going on at the moment, mainly overall pay and benefits for the rank and file. They have been contacted about the retirement part.

In the end, they really can’t do much. It’s not a collective bargaining state. They are asking for officers to come to some city council meetings, but there is no leverage to use to encourage improvement.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It might be trimming around the edges now, but a boss that will do a little here will also do a lot over there later. Next time might be far more impactful and when you are too old to recover.

I really believe it's incompetence rather than malice.

The pay thing is certainly a computer glitch. I'm not sure what it will take to get it corrected. No one on the city's side seems to be an advocate for the employees.

The retirement thing was simply a lack of benefit education on the part of those who explained it. The form needs to be fixed to be accurate, but again it wasn't out of trickery. Getting someone to either change the rules or refund the money is going to take a miracle.

Now the sick time...I was present when the big chief, in the presence of HR trolls, told us that we were entitled to the new numbers, and he answered a question saying that all we had to do was send in the proper documentation to the lady next to him. I did so. Several of us did so. But we are getting the run-around.

So it sounds like bureaucratic machinations rather than intentional dishonesty. That's better in some ways, worse in others. The result is the same at least for the present. Sorry you are frustrated. I have family in LE retired now. I can say they started out poor as church mice, but over a career and with steady sound financial investments, they are very well off. Seems the real financial pay offs came exponentially in the decade before retirement. All honest gains. So hang in there, Chongo, society needs good guys more and more.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
300 hours sounds like an awful lot of sick time.

Not even close to a lot. I rarely used sick time and in fact hadn't used a day from 1994 until retirement in 2005. I had over 300 sick days built up. As we could only use one year before being forced out on a disability, there was excess. Upon retirement, we could get 180 days back. the rest was lost. That's about 2500 hours.

The time lost was part of the deal. Not getting sick isn't a benefit you can get back.

We didn't accept laterals except in one specific case. They came over carrying none of the prior benefits. The raise in salary made it worth it but prior vacation, holidays and seniority were lost. Totally separate agencies.

Although not using the time built up before moving over would have been foolish. Most agencies will pay for the unused time although as far as I can see, there is no requirement to do so unless in the contract.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
At the end of that, I still don't think it will be worth paying a lawyer to fight.

It is possible that they are hoping you all say that.

One place I worked at owned me $4K when I left but it would have costs me at least that much to get the $4K.

But in the end the FAA project manager found out I wasn't working there any longer and pulled the contract and they nearly went under from what I understand.

Talk is cheap when hiring on but it is hard to get them to put it in writing.

So if you put in $5200, they are giving you $10K so you end up with $15.2K which isn't much in 20 years considering inflation.

My mother was an RN and head of the nursery in my home town and after 24+ years, she got $208/month retirement in 1981. Confused Unbelievable.

In the old days, most places had a retirement program that you were not 100 percent vested until you had 10 years service. Back then you changed jobs every 3 or 4 years so you got nothing or very little.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In hind sight, I should have gotten a doctors note and left early until my sick and vacation time ran out.

What I did. Sick leave pay out upon retirement was on a sliding scale, never more than 40% paid back to retiree. Under contract Vacation time was paid back in full..

I had enough sick leave accumulated to keep me home for 6 months. So, I got a doctors note. Burned it all up and got a check for unused vacation time.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

The time lost was part of the deal. Not getting sick isn't a benefit you can get back.

True. I also never took a sick day which is why I was really happy about ten years ago when we switched over to PTO. No more sick days, vacation days and personal days. Just paid time off to use for whatever we want. Plus I got to bank all my existing sick days so I can still take them in certain situations. Like when I was out for two weeks for my wife's gallbladder surgery.

I have 270 hours of PTO saved up right now and get over 8 hours every two weeks. I just realized yesterday that I could take off every other Friday and still end the year with more PTO than I started with.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

True. I also never took a sick day which is why I was really happy about ten years ago when we switched over to PTO. No more sick days, vacation days and personal days. Just paid time off to use for whatever we want. Plus I got to bank all my existing sick days so I can still take them in certain situations. Like when I was out for two weeks for my wife's gallbladder surgery.

I have 270 hours of PTO saved up right now and get over 8 hours every two weeks. I just realized yesterday that I could take off every other Friday and still end the year with more PTO than I started with.

That’s pretty awesome. It takes me a month to earn one day off of vacation time. I have less than 2 weeks saved, mostly from sick kids or school shutting down for a snowflake or the flu.

I have only taken one sick day that I can remember in several years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
quote:

That’s pretty awesome. It takes me a month to earn one day off of vacation time. I have less than 2 weeks saved, mostly from sick kids or school shutting down for a snowflake or the flu.

I have only taken one sick day that I can remember in several years.

It is definitely nice. The main reason I get so much is because I have been with the company over 15 years now. We get a little more time every 5 years I think.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post