SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small diesel engine fans chime in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small diesel engine fans chime in Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have a JD 955 that has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel in it. Been a great tractor. Had it for years. Don't put many hours on it. Minimal maintenance. Is tough for it size. 4wd, has an external pto. Runs a 5'mower and front loader. Also has a jd rear blade if I need it.

Thought about getting an older diesel 3/4ton pick up But could not find a decent one in a price that would work for me.

Looks like i will be picking up another UTV in a trade plus a bit of cash. It also has 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel.

It isn't a pickup but will function like one on the homestead. Kind of excited and will provide more details once I firm things up.

What about your diesels?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Had a 750 John Deere which was a re-branded Yanmar. Engine was/is absolutely bullet-proof. Ran it for 28 years and sold it to a feller that's still running it.

Replaced it with a little Kubota. Kubota diesels have a great reputation as well, I fully expect to will that tractor to my grandson.

Also have a Pasquali vineyard tractor with a Lombardini one-lunger diesel. Don't know exactly how old it is, good guess would be 70's. Two things amaze me about that little oil-burner: It starts in single-digit temps without glow plugs or a block heater, and it makes a crap-ton of power for a one-holer. Sounds wicked cool at an idle too.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a kubota b2601, 3cyl diesel with fel, 5' mower, few other implements.Rated at 26hp its amazing what it can lift,pull,cut. I have owned several tractors over the years but this one is a little beast

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a 4cyl. Kubota mounted to a 10K generator in my Motorhome.

A 58HP 5cyl. Kubota in a Kubota tractor

a Cummins M11 415Hp diesel in my Motorhome

Had a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 turbo diesel.

Love those oil burners!

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well, since you asked... I have (ready for it) an 8hp single cylinder Yanmar... I need advise on the transmission for it which is either forward or reverse... direct ... no clutch just a shifting cone in the gear box.. it seems to slip... turn slow at first and then jump into full.. any help with fixing this?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how much torque those little diesels can make.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Had a 750 John Deere which was a re-branded Yanmar. Engine was/is absolutely bullet-proof. Ran it for 28 years and sold it to a feller that's still running it.

Replaced it with a little Kubota. Kubota diesels have a great reputation as well, I fully expect to will that tractor to my grandson.

Also have a Pasquali vineyard tractor with a Lombardini one-lunger diesel. Don't know exactly how old it is, good guess would be 70's. Two things amaze me about that little oil-burner: It starts in single-digit temps without glow plugs or a block heater, and it makes a crap-ton of power for a one-holer. Sounds wicked cool at an idle too.

I also had a JD 750, but that diesel was labeled Yanmar. Never an issue! changed the oil/filter regularly with Rotella 15-40, changed the fuel and hydraulic filters regularly. Never had to do any major maintenance.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have a 500cc 2 cyl Yanmar diesel with almost 13,000 hours on the meter. Still runs like the day it was new and doesn't leak or burn any oil. Wonderful little diesels, those Yanmar units.

I also have a little 500cc Perkins sitting in the shop. It was pulled off a truck that was being sold, and was running fine with about 6000 hours. The Perkins was never as smooth as the Yanmar.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a 3cyl Iseki/Bolens 1502 that I bought off my grandparents. Has a 48in mower, 42in snowblower, 52in rear 3pt blade... great little tractor for my plot of land.
At only 15hp, it's on the small end, but the torque is definitely there for light grading work or pulling felled trees.
I'm glad I ended up buying it, and plan to use it for many more years to come.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2 cyl '93 Volvo Penta 2002 18 hp diesel pushing around a 4 ton sailboat, yet only burns .65 gal/hr at near hull speed. It's loud and shakes a ton, but dead nuts reliable.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The little yanmar three cylinders (in all its forms) is just about as tough a little diesel as you can get. With decent maintenance you will work really hard to wear one out (I never have). I've had them in boats, tractors, generators, loaders, UTV's and probably something I'm forgetting. I have three currently with a combined total of 6K hours and none of them seem different than when new.
Of course I've got a lot of other diesels but these seem to tolerate abuse way better than most. Of course the silly and misguided EPA emissions situation is slowly killing diesels overall.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankeryanker:
It is amazing how much torque those little diesels can make.

Absolutely! This is the first year I've plowed snow with my Deere 332 garden tractor. It was amazing to feel the momentum die out and the torque start driving the larger piles. Piles of snow larger than the tractor!

All told I usually plow five driveways every larger snowfall. Takes 2-3 hours send I barely burn half the fuel tank.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
3 Cyl. John Deere 3032e 32 hp., 3 Cyl. Iseki (Massey)1240 28 hp., 3 Cyl. Kawasaki Mule 17 hp.

None of them make much horsepower; but they all make plenty of useable power. Both tractors make much more power than can be connected to the ground, even in 4wd.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My Kubota tractor has a 3 cylinder diesel that, in the rare winters we are in Montana, powers a 63” snowblower. It runs a loader in the summer months. Absolutely excellent machine.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The strength of the Yanmar diesel is beyond what you may believe. I have a friend who used to pull one in a tractor. He had Columbus diesel build a fuel pump and turbo system for it.. He was making well over 250 hp. And it never hurt the block.. He said the head flow was better than a small block Chevy.. He was upset because it wasn't making a lot of smoke. It was too efficient at using the fuel.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post