SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three in National Guard disciplined over using a dinosaur hand puppet in oath ceremony...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three in National Guard disciplined over using a dinosaur hand puppet in oath ceremony... Login/Join 
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
[QUOTE]

I understand they have become the general-purpose work uniform. I am saying they should not be the work uniform unless your work involves being in the field. If your job is in the office and especially if it puts you in contact with the public, it should not be the uniform.

Why?

Who cares if some office POG is wearing ACU/MARPAT/BDU's or whatever while they type shit.

Now, if they are in PR or something where they are dealing with the media, politicians, public or whatever-okay.

ETA: Plus what Pale Horse said about Marine Corps daily fuckery. Big Grin

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
So for our members who have been in the military; do any of you recall seeing anything like the link above shows? Did anyone goof around during any reenlistment ceremony you were at?

My single re-enlistment was unremarkably held in the CO's office. But while I was at PLDC in Bad Tolz Germany in 1989, a squad mate re-enlisted in the NCO Academy Commandant's office. This office contained Patton's desk and rug from when Patton used the kaserne as his headquarters. Among other artifacts, I recall his prayer for good weather framed on the wall. Awe is my clearest recollection of the place and moment.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Utterly tasteless and disgraceful, showing no respect to an oath many have taken and many have made the ultimate sacrifice to uphold.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was stupid but I don't think my stupidity rose to that level. Way to start a reenlistment stint.
What I remember was people would reenlist in a private ceremony, then get shit faced drunk and come in waving their reenlistment bonus.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
To add -

Nice that the Colonel had to read the oath off of a sheet of paper like it’s the first time he’s heard it. Don’t officer’s memorize shit anymore?

I can't comment on the other Services, but in the ARMY it's expected that the officer memorizes (and practice) the oath.

Given this stupidity, I suspect we'll see some kind of policy memo on where, when and how you do the ceremony.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Honor.
Bearing and Behavior.
Integrity.
Esprit de Corps.

And, yeah, pretty much in that order.

"Why" should never need be asked.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
To add -

Nice that the Colonel had to read the oath off of a sheet of paper like it’s the first time he’s heard it. Don’t officer’s memorize shit anymore?

I can't comment on the other Services, but in the ARMY it's expected that the officer memorizes (and practice) the oath.

Given this stupidity, I suspect we'll see some kind of policy memo on where, when and how you do the ceremony.

I have it memorized, but I still borrow the retention NCO's little card when I administer the Oath. I'd hate to have a brain fart and mess up someone's re-enlistment.

I've never had a soldier ask for something dumb like this, but there's no chance I would allow it. I've done some ask for cool locations and backgrounds, which I try to accommodate, but the actual swearing of the oath is formal and taken seriously.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's sad and disgusting. This society is very sick and all of our institutions are being degraded.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the oath 3 times:
1: At the AFEES in Oakland, a USMC Captain enlisted the group of the day.

2. After my first 4 years and a 23 month extension for retraining, I was due to re-up. I was at Mather AFB at the time, and was at the personnel office starting the paperwork and was asked for an official date to reenlist so that they could get the paperwork together. A few days later I called them to explain that I was scheduled to fly that day and I needed the date changed, they asked if I could have one of the 5 officers on my flight reenlist me that day. So as it turned out I was reenlisted by my EWO on a Maple Flag exercise over Canada(never thought about taking a picture, my navigator would've done it, but probably would've taken a picture of his thumb).

3. After a 6 year enlistment and a 23 month extension for retraining(again). I re-upped for one more 6 year hitch to take me to 20 years (I extended at the end for a few months to hit my 20). This one was sort of different. I had gotten married since my last reenlistment, and was able to have my wife administer the oath. It was done at my workplace(classified area-no pictures).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
This makes me sick. The whole lot of them, as others have said, from not knowing the oath to the first shirt snickering, and the fucking puppet. Where's that fucking meteor. Let's get this shit done with.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Unbelievable.

We're lost for good if something doesn't snap us out of this childish trance people are in, and I'm afraid that the only thing which can do this is a major war.

It's like Eight Ball said about Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket- in order to reach his full potential as a human, he needs to have someone throwing hand grenades at him.

That's us, gentlemen. The United States needs to have people throwing grenades at us in order to snap us out of this incredible, unbelievable, suicidal trance.

Serious megadose of adversity is the only way to stop this decline. Embarrassing mess this countries in.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
In his statement Wednesday, Haston announced that the colonel who led the ceremony was demoted and then retired from service.

Master Sgt. Robin Brown, who was reciting the oath with the dinosaur puppet in the video, has been removed from her job at the Tennessee Joint Public Affairs Office and will face administrative actions, Haston said. An anonymous officer who videotaped the event was also removed from his job and has been reprimanded.

Ruined three careers.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The anonymous person recording the re-enlistment was the unit First Sergeant, since relieved of that billet but still in service.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hell, even the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court can't remember an oath.

I don't fault the Colonel for the oath part, I fault him for allowing this broad to have her little hand puppet to begin with.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My first reenlist meant was in an office by the Chief. My second one was at the top of the lighthouse in Buxton (Cape Hatteras) by my CWO. And my last one was in the COs office. All formal and professional.

I've heard of aviators getting theirs done on planes, rear ramps of a c130 or in a helicopter, but nothing stupid as a storm trooper uniform and what not.

Very sad how these idiots represent the military with a sock puppet. Shameful

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Holy shit it definitely went high up to demote an O6 to an O5. Eek

I've re-enlisted many Soldiers. Nothing out of the ordinary. Only one not at work was when a Soldier wanted to do it over lunch at a steak house. He figured everyone he wanted to attend was free for lunch so they'd be able to make it.

Being asked to give the oath is something I was always very proud of. Signing the re-enlistment contract was something I was very happy to do.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
In his statement Wednesday, Haston announced that the colonel who led the ceremony was demoted and then retired from service.

Master Sgt. Robin Brown, who was reciting the oath with the dinosaur puppet in the video, has been removed from her job at the Tennessee Joint Public Affairs Office and will face administrative actions, Haston said. An anonymous officer who videotaped the event was also removed from his job and has been reprimanded.

Ruined three careers.

Deservedly so.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Right, so I got my answer. The couple of pics in that article from Task and Purpose (the senior editor of which is a leftist anti-gun piece of shit so you should quit reading that trash) are abnormal.

The reason I asked was because if it was normal to goof around and not take the ceremony seriously anymore then I would have a hard time finding fault. Either it is a serious event or it isn't. As I expected, it still is and these clowns got what they deserved.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I went to a friends re-enlistment ceremony last year. It was a serious occasion and was treated as such.

I was honored to be there. It looked nothing like this fuckery Ive just witnessed.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
UCMJ Article 134: Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

For the Colonel (O-6) to be reduced in rank and forcibly retired as a Lt COL (O-5) is quite telling. He probably had less than 2 Years time-in-grade as an O-6, so if retired before those 2 years were completed, he would revert back to his last held rank of O-5.

As for the other two individuals involved (the Senior NCO/MSGT re-enlistee in Public Affairs, and the recorder of event, a Unit First Sergeant) neither inspire a sense of military bearing and leadership.

These “big floppy clown shoes versions” of “kindergarten graduation ceremonies” are symptomatic of what lead to further breakdown in military organizations—lackadaisical operational procedures—and have/are/will get folks killed.

I’d be willing to bet Dollars-to-Donuts that SECDEF Mattis has had conversations with the other Service Secretaries and Chiefs of Staffs and that these things will stop NOW. Military protocol will be followed.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post