SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three in National Guard disciplined over using a dinosaur hand puppet in oath ceremony...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three in National Guard disciplined over using a dinosaur hand puppet in oath ceremony... Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Unbelievable.

We're lost for good if something doesn't snap us out of this childish trance people are in, and I'm afraid that the only thing which can do this is a major war.

I'd hoped for years we could reel it back in. It seems less likely/possible all the time.

Yes, it looks like we're in for a reckoning, though I doubt I have enough time left to see it.

I'm reading Kurt Schlichter's Indian Country right now & the policies and behavior of the left in his book are the the obvious conclusions to the idiocy we're seeing now.

It's like watching the fall of Rome in fast forward.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently these weird re-enlistment ceremonies are a 'thing' now?

https://taskandpurpose.com/wei...listment-ceremonies/

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unreal. I only re-enlisted a couple times, and never had the dis-pleasure of seeing it done as an alternate-reality exercise.

Disgraceful.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
Apparently these weird re-enlistment ceremonies are a 'thing' now?

https://taskandpurpose.com/wei...listment-ceremonies/
Oh, for fuck's sake!! Mad

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I'm not or ever have been military anything. My dad was in the Korean conflict and spoke very little about it.

What is the statement that's being made with the puppet? Is she saying by serving that she's just a puppet of the system?

I think she's saying, 'I have no business taking this oath, but I need a job so I'll do what I have to.'

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-enlisting in a cool location like on a helicopter etc. is one thing (and fine IMO), the explosion shot was pretty neat. Anything that is mocking is not ok like the stormtrooper, the gun to the head etc. and especially the sock puppet...

There is a big difference in a motivating location vs. a joke or mockery.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why does the Army allow soldiers to wear fatigues damn near anywhere. They are for field use.

And the punishments were well-deserved.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Why does the Army allow soldiers to wear fatigues damn near anywhere. They are for field use.

The folks in the photo/article are in the Air Force.

But regardless, that's the standard work uniform for most military members.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they aren't just for field use, it is the default duty uniform of the Army. No different than the USMC, they don't wear dress uniforms (A's, B's, or some variation) for routine duty either.

I agree the punishments for this were nice to see, reducing an 06 to 05 and retiring them is pretty serious. I've actually never heard of an officer being reduced in rank like that.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
So for our members who have been in the military; do any of you recall seeing anything like the link above shows? Did anyone goof around during any reenlistment ceremony you were at?

I don't recall attending too many reenlistment ceremonies when I was in. I only remember three and two were done outside the company office while we were in formation and the third was done at the end of our annual beach run so it was on the beach in PT gear, but we were still in formation and at attention. It is possible that I attended more but I don't recall them and I am certain none of them were anything more than the Marine in an approved uniform standing at attention and reciting the words. I was in from 97-01.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:

Because they aren't just for field use, it is the default duty uniform of the Army. No different than the USMC, they don't wear dress uniforms (A's, B's, or some variation) for routine duty either.

I agree the punishments for this were nice to see, reducing an 06 to 05 and retiring them is pretty serious. I've actually never heard of an officer being reduced in rank like that.

No we didn't wear dress uniforms to work, we wore BDUs at my job. But Marines cannot wear BDUs in public unless on duty. There are some exceptions like stopping for gas or necessities but I rarely saw any Marine out in town in BDUs unless they were standing at a gas pump.

Unless that has changed but since I have only once seen Marines in BDUs at the airport when I've seen countless other service members in them I am assuming that it has not.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That any one of the three of them thought that was ok was astonishing enough, but that all three of them did is astounding.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So disrespectful. What has happed to this country?

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
So for our members who have been in the military; do any of you recall seeing anything like the link above shows? Did anyone goof around during any reenlistment ceremony you were at?

My first re-enlistment was in the orderly room by Captain Issac Camacho. That pretty much set the pattern. I later re-enlisted with a 3 star administering the oath and a couple of other times, right before a PCS. My most memorable was while at the 9th Division and by LTC Ellis. He administrated the oath, letter perfect, from memory. The only "stunt" I did was in Korea. We did it at Drug and Alcohol facility that I had worked at in 1972. The program had been run by some anti-war types and I just wanted to prove then wrong.
https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/5308

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

EVERY SINGLE ONE that I saw or participated in was an appropriately somber occasion. I would never participate in anything like the dinosaur hand puppet or storm trooper thing. That is stupid, childish, and stands against every concept of respect and honor I know of. It's almost unbelievable that such things take place today, I more often find myself just shaking my head and mourning the traditions of the past as more and more of them are ruined.

That pic with the gun to the head should have resulted in Article 15 proceedings (official punishment).

We often sought unique places to re-enlist, but they were always serious affairs. I once re-enlisted at the Parade Grounds on Offutt AFB (just my supervisor and wife present). I have heard that the Navy people inside Cheyenne Mountain re-enlisted on the row-boat that they used to check the underground water reservoir(s?). People would re-enlist in the radar dome at my radar station in Alaska. Flight-lines, other work centers, etc, are good. I've seen photos of people (special forces/PJs) doing it while skydiving (that is probably the most extreme example I could condone). I would not allow it to happen at somewhere like Game Stop. That's just stupid.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Some of this depends on the unit, circumstances of the reenlistment, location and what-not.

Getting re-upped while crossing the equator (shellback) and getting sworn in by some greasy, Master Chief dressed like King Neptune...yeah, Okay. I guess.

The dude getting sworn in with a gun to his head-I would put money on the odds that was a small grunt/SOF type unit. Those guys are crazy and they do a corresponding amount of crazy shit.

Cool backgrounds like the explosion. Again, yeah...okay. I guess.

The military is it's own weird world with it's own weird rules.

Sock puppets and stormtroopers. No. Just no. That's just retarded.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
On active duty, reenlistments were usually done in a company formation (I was in an infantry unit) while wearing the uniform of the day (usually BDUs). In the Army Guard (again, in my experience in KY and WV ARNG), reenlistment ceremonies are very rare....in my experience. If the soldier wants one, it's usually a small affair, the SM's family, chain of command, etc. Typically, they come in saying they want to reenlist or extend, we generate paperwork, get some signatures and BOOM.....they're in for another 3 years.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand they have become the general-purpose work uniform. I am saying they should not be the work uniform unless your work involves being in the field. If your job is in the office and especially if it puts you in contact with the public, it should not be the uniform.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I understand they have become the general-purpose work uniform. I am saying they should not be the work uniform unless your work involves being in the field. If your job is in the office and especially if it puts you in contact with the public, it should not be the uniform.

I didn't work in the field but if I had to wear a dress uniform I probably would have gone through 20 dress shirts a year. Plus, at least in the Marine Corps, very few days went by without some sort of bullshit physical activity that would have torn up a dress uniform.

There are a lot of jobs that aren't in the field that BDUs make a lot of sense. Any "blue collar" job, regardless of where it takes place, should be in BDUs.