SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What else in a truck gun chest rig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What else in a truck gun chest rig? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I don’t have a chest rig but I have spare mags incorporated into my 72 hour bug out bag (Maxpedition Gear Slinger Bag).
There have been some really good threads about 72 hour bags.

I really wish we had a sticky thread on this, and / or get home / truck bags

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let’s see, you are in West Virginia, and I’m not likely to be, so yeah, pointing guns at everything/one you encounter is a great choice. If you look at LEOs who happen to have a light on their handgun, ask them how much better it was once they ditched their flashlights. Cause if they have a light on the gun they obviously aren’t packing around all that extra weight of a flashlight. End sarcasm. [And I still think you need a flashlight even after you added that this is an active shooter kit.]

Basic multitool with one hand opening knife.
Second bandage (one bullet, two holes).
Since you are figuring this is an active shooter response, maybe a inexpensive plate carrier and plates (or inexpensive/used soft armor vest in a external carrier) to help not get perforated.
If you can (if authorized or willing to adapt) some unit or departmental badging. Even <tiny letters> Call the <BIG LETTERS> POLICE, if you believe it may stop responding officers from ventilating you long enough to confirm you’re not the bad guy. Remember that they are responding to ‘man with a gun’.

If you’re not going to add armor, I think the ‘active shooter bag is low[ER] profile’ thought has some merit; although officers will stil see Tactical Tom, it will be lower profile and less threatening to the populace.

Posts: 516 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm being 100% honest here, I cannot think of a scenario where a citizen would ever abandon their vehicle, strap on a chest rig, strap on a pistol and a carbine, and go for a walk. If you ever had to abandon your vehicle, you'll likely want to be a gray man, blend in, look like Joe Average, with a concealed pistol at most, and a backpack (72 hour get home bag) on your shoulders.

Active shooter response? The cops will think YOU are the active shooter with your tactical garb. They might expect to see Jim Bob with a 30/30 in his hand wanting to help, not tactical Bob with plates, load vest, carbine, pistol.

Even in real SHTF scenario, the govt collapsed weeks ago and its a free for all, the guys wearing load bearing rigs and carrying carbines will be the first ones shot by a sniper or well placed ambush pistol shot, and their shit stolen.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a chest rig, I'd go with what rogue suggested. A mutlitool and light. the Multi tool can be used to clear a type 8 aka Bolt over base malfunctions and other maintenance tasks. The light is for searching or illuminating things that you don't want to point a gun at.

The only thing I'd add is a small container of oil in a ziplock to prevent leakage. That way if your rifle gets dry while it's stored in the vehicle you can lube it quick. Just because you have pouch space, doesn't mean you need to fill it.

If you want to get crazy, eye pro and ear plugs, eyeglass cloth, batteries for your light and optics, a lighter, 550 cord or bootlaces, broken case extractor, a compass, some 100 MPH tape or electrical tape, some zip ties, a spares kit for the rifle, carabineer, pen/marker,etc. None of that is critical, its more nice to have than have to have, but I've found it useful down range or in class.

If you want to build out your medical pouch, I'd add some gloves, some compressed gauze for wound packing, and a pair of prefab chest seals.

On the low profile side I'd look low vis backpack and a law folding adapter for the rifle.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
onegeek/CD228...yeah, good point about the 'utilitarian' flashlight and gauze.

I really need to work on my descriptors. LOL

bubbatime....I can think of a couple. And I'm not sure I really think the whole 'gray man' thing is valid.

Say I drop by Lexington, KY to get some delicious Spalding's donuts (which in fact I do LOL). BLM/Antifa/whoever is having a demonstration and they're being countered by Sons of the Confederacy/KKK/whoever. Even though I'm aware of this (though chances are I'm not, because I'm listening to AltNation on XM) and my route to Spalding's avoids the PLANNED demonstration area, I get caught in traffic when the 'protestors' spill out of their respective areas. My first clue of this is seeing passengers leaving their vehicles ahead of me. I can't move since cars ahead/behind/on the flanks aren't moving.

So do I just sit in the car and hope both sides think "Hey, he's in a Subaru, he's cool!" and pass me by, or do I unass the car and try to squirt out the sides of the two advancing groups?

And if I unass the car, I think the 'gray man' disguise would be toast. To either side, since I'm not part of their crowd, I'm part of the other side.

Yeah, I'm more likely to win the lottery than to be stuck in the middle of a riot while on a donut run, but still...it's not an impossibility either.

And the cops didn't perforate the two guys who chased the Texas church shooter either. I'm not talking about listening to a scanner and responding to the scene. I'm thinking more along the lines of it happening in my immediate vicinity. True, some say I'm only responsible for myself and my family, others say it's best to sit tight, call 911 and be a good observer. But I don't think I could just sit there while some Mumbai-style attack happens (or even one dude open up on a church).

Again, super far-fetched, but not impossible.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I know what the OP is asking for but the OP may want to rethink the chest rig as IME they’re a slow pain the ass to put on. This 5.11 active shooters bag is a better fit for OP’s described use

+1 a bag is less likely to draw attention, I keep a bag with mags and a BOK in my truck, slower to reload but does not scream shoot me.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I know what the OP is asking for but the OP may want to rethink the chest rig as IME they’re a slow pain the ass to put on. This 5.11 active shooters bag is a better fit for OP’s described use

What kind of chest rigs have tried? I can get mine on very quick and it's just one buckle if you don't screw with the shoulder straps and just clip the waist straps. Sling bags like what you posted are a little quicker and easier if you have decreased range of motion, but when I've tried running with them they tend to bounce a bit. I also found I reload quicker from a chest rig. I have the Larue bag set up as a grab and go bag with mags (Pistol, Rifle), medical, weapons cleaning kit and a holster for a spare pistol. Your individual mileage may vary depending on body type.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A rain jacket or windbreaker can easily hide a low profile chest rig. Personally I keep more of an overnight/72 hour bag in my truck. A few spare 17 round mags do it for me. I focus more on food and a change of clothing, including an old pair of boots.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Windbreaker will do an excellent job.

Hear are a few other gear suggestions you might like:
1) ear plugs. I keep a set of surefires in mine.
2) emergency water purification tabs or straw.
3) FireKit - matches/striker/tinder/etc
4) Chem lights, glow sticks
5) small amount of 550 cord

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Snickers bar and a j frame.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hiking style fanny pack can hold a lot, and does not stand out. No one would take a second look at it. It would be too small for a rifle, but would hold everything else.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Flashlight. So that you have a light you can use without pointing a gun at something/someone.

Spare batteries for your lights if you don't already have some stored in the grip/butt stock of the rifle.

I don't know about the chest rig you bought. The one I own is quite minimalist. It conceals pretty well under a slim jacket.

I bought mine as a stable base to clip shotgun shell caddies onto for 3 gun. Found out that it is really handy for certain 3 gun situations, and a really nice way to carry lights, calls, and other gear when I am hunting.

I don't haul it around in the truck, but if I lived somewhere different, I would consider it.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
It's a Haley Strategic Partners D3CRX and it is described as 'minimalist'. Pretty sure it'd disappear under a Gortex or rain jacket.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post