SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What else in a truck gun chest rig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What else in a truck gun chest rig? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I decided if I had a truck gun (the .300 blk I assembled) I should probably have like a minimalist "go bag". I picked up a Haley chest rig (D3 something...a bunch of letters after the 3). Four rifle magazines, two G17 magazines for the G19 I normally carry, a CAT and an Israeli dressing. That leaves one 'admin' pouch and two pistol magazine pouches empty. Both my carbine and G19 have a light on them. What else might be handy? I was thinking more dressings (the admin pouch is pretty full with the CAT and one dressing) in the other admin pouch but.....

Ideas?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my two cents are think about how you're going to secure all this stuff in a vehicle. Whenever I hear "truck gun", I think easily stolen gun.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:
my two cents are think about how you're going to secure all this stuff in a vehicle. Whenever I hear "truck gun", I think easily stolen gun.

Yep.

But that aside, I'd fill the other two pistol mag pouches with a flashlight and a Leatherman.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
du-ha with seat lock

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Just get an 'Infernal Machine' and you'll be all set! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
food and water

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multi-tool.

DOUG
Military Police = MP = Mike Papa

Posts: 245 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a chest rig but I have spare mags incorporated into my 72 hour bug out bag (Maxpedition Gear Slinger Bag).
There have been some really good threads about 72 hour bags.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:

Yep.

But that aside, I'd fill the other two pistol mag pouches with a flashlight and a Leatherman.

Well, I’ll lock my doors for starters and the stuff will all fit in the tray on top of my spare tire which is under a panel in the back (it’s a Forester). So yeah, if my vehicle is stolen, I’m also losing the carbine, but it’s not going to be out in plain sight, even when loading groceries in the back.

I already have lights on both firearms, but a multitool sounds smart.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Snacks. Lots and lots of snacks

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I usually have a bag of pistachios handy, does that count? It won’t fit in the admin pouch.

Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
A good fixed blade knife. Doesn't have to fit in rig just have a sheath so you can put it on your belt. Firestarter.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I know what the OP is asking for but the OP may want to rethink the chest rig as IME they’re a slow pain the ass to put on. This 5.11 active shooters bag is a better fit for OP’s described use

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Couple cans of Veg-All and a P-38.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My aversion to a chest rig is it will draw attention to you if you aren't a cop.

"But the rifle will draw attention to me"

Maybe, maybe not - ARs are easily split in half and stuffed in a bag. And a rifle slung over your shoulder is a lot different than looking like tactical-Tom.

I prefer a slung active shooter type bag that doesn't look like a tactical tom bag.

Be the gray man.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Gum and some shit-paper too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Gum and some shit-paper too.

Don't forget baby wipes.

I wholeheartedly believe that baby wipes will one day save humanity on a massive level Wink

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My aversion to a chest rig is it will draw attention to you if you aren't a cop.

"But the rifle will draw attention to me"

Maybe, maybe not - ARs are easily split in half and stuffed in a bag. And a rifle slung over your shoulder is a lot different than looking like tactical-Tom.

I prefer a slung active shooter type bag that doesn't look like a tactical tom bag.

Be the gray man.

A “Hello Kitty” daypack makes a pretty non-threatening go-bag.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A "battle belt" may be easier and faster to put on and will take up less room. If weight is an issue there are suspenders you can buy for them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
This isn't a SHTF-type set up. I have something completely different for that. More like the active shooter thing. I mean if I'm a 100% honest, I seriously can't imagine anything happening here in WV that would require even this minimalist set up....but I figure it can't hurt to have, right?

As for blending in, 5 days of the week I am running around in OCPs, so if something DID happen, I figure the chest rig and carbine won't be too out-of-character.

And I already have the chest rig, so I'm not really looking at alternatives just yet. A trip or three to the range may change my mind, but we'll see.