SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Vienna, Austria. Suggestions, tips.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Vienna, Austria. Suggestions, tips. Login/Join 
posted
Looks like we are going to Austria for a week. Anyone been recently that could give us do's and dont's? We have looked on line about that. Don't think I'm going to rent a car.
Appreciate it.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Imperial Riding School during my visit a couple of years ago. Wicked nice!

https://www.marriott.com/hotel...19-a255-54ba596febe2

If you’re a Marriott rewards member you get the upgrade, breakfast, “happy hour”, and before bed snacks. We saved a lot on eating and drinking expenses. Central location. Everything was within walking distance.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Austrian Museum of Military History
https://www.hgm.at/en.html

Sacher torte eaten at the Hotel Sacher
https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-sacher-wien/

Schönbrunn Palace
https://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/

Stephanplatz in downtown area
https://www.tripadvisor.com/At...ansplatz-Vienna.html

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
The military museum is exceptional. Well actually just about everything is but I spent quite a few hours at this particular museum. See Arch Duke Ferdinand’s car complete with bullet holes. Also some WWI displays that were actually collected during the war.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TSE,

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
One word: Chocolate.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Try the sausage. World renound Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
All of the above, plus street meat dealers. Awesome food.

And don’t forget the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek. Probably the most beautiful place I’ve been to.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Definitely go watch the morning exercises at the Spanish Riding School (Spanische Hofreitschule). It's obviously only once a day, I think around 10am, and was 14 Euros per person about five years ago. I am not into this kind of stuff and I loved it. Don't miss it.

Posts: 3528 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
A couple of friends of mine went to school there. They lived within walking distance of the Wiener Riesenrad ferris wheel. The Austrian's are not known for their beer, but trust me its fantastic. Its been 30 years but the place they always used to go to was Schweizerhaus. Prater 116. A1020 Wien. Don't even know if its still operating.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second all of the above. Just went there with The Missus last October. Also stayed at the Imperial Riding School hotel, and it was wonderful. Only thing I would add to the list is go get the tour of the Opera House. The military museum is great!

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The Cathedral is very nice. My river cruise in 2010 visited a famous Strudel bakery, but I don't remember its name.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I've been told it's one of the areas with the densest number of spies (Iranian, Russian, etc).

At our company, a person with a clearance cannot travel there without a pre and post visit interview.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visited last Sept, great time of year to go, tons of history.
- Remember it's Wien, not Vienna in Austria.
- Upon arrival, take the tram around the Ringstrasse, get an idea of the place.
- Schoenbrunn Palace for sure, take the tram out there, plan about 4-hours. Go as early as you can, get ahead of all the tour buses and hordes. You can eat lunch at the Glorette.
- If you're into classical music, (Vienna is where Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Strauss shined), the House of Music is pretty impressive...and the Opera House.
- Hofburg Treasury was pretty impressive; where the crowns and jewels of the Hapsburg's.
- Besides wiennerschnitzel, Vienna is also famous for it's tafelspitz. Basically boiled beef, served and prepared in a much more refined manner over multiple courses; I still think of the fried potatoes and creamed spinach Smile . There's many places that serve it, I had it at Plachutta, they have multiple locations, and are very well known for his dish.
- Goulash is pretty tremendous also, you'll eat a variety of types.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My lovely and vivacious wife who studied at the American Music Institue in Gratz would tell you to visit the opera house.
She would also have you pencil in the Gustav Klimt artwork which I understand is available as several locales. He was the artist whose work was the subject of the movie “Woman in Gold” which tells the story of his work being stolen by the Nazi and ultimately returned to an heir.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you are going to drive around the country, be sure to get a toll vignette (sticker) for the length of your driving days. It's a hefty fine if you are caught on a limited access highway without one. Check with your rental car company. I was drving in with an Italian rental so had to get one.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Two words: Stiegl Goldbräu. A superb lager. I buy it here in the US, in 0.5l cans, where it’s called simply Stiegl Gold.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Austrian Museum of Military History
https://www.hgm.at/en.html

Sacher torte eaten at the Hotel Sacher
https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-sacher-wien/

Schönbrunn Palace
https://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/

Stephanplatz in downtown area
https://www.tripadvisor.com/At...ansplatz-Vienna.html

All of these! I would recommend a cheap motor tour. Unless my 80 year old memory is letting me down, their streetcar runs in a complete circle. Get on, ride it all the way around the town back to your starting point. Great way to see the city and really inexpensive! If you want to spend more time at one place, just get off the street car at the nearest stop, do you sight seeing and get back on the next one! When we were there, many years ago now, the locals were very helpful in offering places to visit, places to eat, etc. And you would get the advantage of local expertise!

And, YES that special cake is truly worth the time and money to eat a piece, or 3, while drinking the local coffee!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you like truly great art, the Kunsthistorisches Museum has one of the greatest art collections of the world.
Into music? Visit Schubert’s birthplace, and Mozart’s apartment near the Stefansdom.

Vienna is one of my favorite places to visit in the world.

If time permits, a visit to Salzburg is also very worthwhile. Beautiful city and countryside, fabulous music performances.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I was there three weeks ago. I stayed at the Vienna Hilton Plaza for 12 days. Hotel and staff were perfect. All of the suggestions above are great. Train/Subway system is excellent. Cars arrive every 3 - 5 minutes. The architecture is beautiful. Stefansplatz is awesome at night.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Check out the Sewers man. I did 10 years ago, it was pretty cool.
https://www.drittemanntour.at/en/index.html

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post