SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inexpensive (cheap?) things that worked out great-and/or those that did not
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inexpensive (cheap?) things that worked out great-and/or those that did not Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I just a read a post by Jim1970 about how pleased he was with his S&W Sport AR, and how well it performed, despite a lack of "bells and whistles". And that got me thinking about a couple of successes (and failures) of mine with inexpensive (cheap) products.

I'd been shooting since I was a kid, mostly shotguns and pistols, but I had never hunted deer until I was in law school. One of my cousins got into deer hunting seriously, and had a great place to go, so I decided to go. A local gun store had 1 year interest free financing, and I ended up with a beautiful and great Sako rifle in .30-06 for $500. It was a $900 rifle at the time, but .30-06 was not a popular caliber for people buying such a rifle, and they gave me a great price. But I had no money left for an optic, and bought a Bushnell 3-9 for $50. Although it wasn't junk, it was definitely cheap glass. My first weekend hunting, second afternoon on the stand, end of daylight where I could barely see, I shot a beautiful 8 point at 180 yards. In the neck, as it was standing behind brush and all I could see was from the neck up. So late that there was a tremendous flash from the shot, and it was pitch black by the time I climbed down the tree. I later put a Leupold on that rifle, but I honestly don't know what more I could have asked for out of a scope.

On the other end of the spectrum, this story:
I was out at my uncles property, and he had a couple of ponds that held fish. I hadn't brought any of my good rods as I didn't plan on fishing, but decided to try my luck with a cheapo rod with a Zebco 202 or such on it. I got a big hit on a topwater bait, and what had to be a 6 pound bass made quite a show of the fight. As I was reeling it in, I made the comment to someone next to me "it's going to be hard to justify spending money on nice reels when I caught such a nice fish on this cheapo". As the fish neared the bank, one last lunge broke the reel from the rod, and as I desperately tried to pick up the reel and start pulling on the line by hand, the fish got off. I had certainly spoken too soon.

Anybody else have stories of great outcomes with cheap stuff, or disasters?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: honestlou,

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Crappy fireworks. Stopped to get a few relatively tame items for the grandkids at one of those permanent factory direct stores when passing by on a recent trip.

They sucked. About 20% were duds and the 10 ball Roman Candles varied from 6 to 9 balls, none had 10.

Next time I'll shop the temporary tents at home. Might not be any better, but at least I could go back and complain!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Man, you can get some great cheap Mexican food here in Houston. If you go into a Mexican neighborhoods and go to the family places, you can get great chow for a song. There is a Monterrey style place nearish my office that serves a lunch for $6 that can just about make 2 people happy. Not that I don't eat it all myself, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
My Lee cast turret press. Have loaded thousands of perfect rounds with this "cheap" press.

Could have spent lot's more on the "blue Kool-aid"

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bought sex, cheap. Worked out great.

Got married, cheap. You don't wanna know...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Bought sex, cheap. Worked out great.

Got married, cheap. You don't wanna know...

LOLOLOLOL There is no such thing as a "cheap" marriage. You pay for it dearly, one way or another!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Monkey, I love your posts Big Grin

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun wise, it would have to be my Remington Nylon 66. I bought it used for $25.
The most fun rifle I have ever owned.
Fishing wise, I also use an inexpensive Zebco on an Ugly Stix.
I got tired of untangling snags on my more expensive open reels.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Man, you can get some great cheap Mexican food here in Houston. If you go into a Mexican neighborhoods and go to the family places, you can get great chow for a song. There is a Monterrey style place nearish my office that serves a lunch for $6 that can just about make 2 people happy. Not that I don't eat it all myself, though.
^^ THIS ^^

Authentic Mexican mom & pop places are a bargain as they taste better than chain restaurants for a lot less money. My previous stint in Houston, I lived by a place that had $2.49 breakfasts and you got as much food as a $9 IHOP breakfast. Heck, when I lived in Midland chain restaurants couldn't survive because their $15 fajitas couldn't stack up to a family chain's (chain because they had daughters and none of them could work together so the Dad opened a restaurant for each daughter) $7 fajitas.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have one of these infomercial specials, works great in my tiny garden.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
AT&T Mobley. Fast, unlimited internet, wherever there are AT&T towers for about $20.00 a month, plus tax.

Mobley was designed for Connected Car/On Star but with a power adapter you can use it at home or on the road.

I am pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years back I gave in and ponied up $300 for an Oregon chainsaw sharpener. It died 10 or 12 years later but it worked just fine. A while later I was in Harbor Freight and saw they had a very similar sharpener on sale with coupon for $29.99. I bought the damn thing and it has worked great for the last 8 years.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Needed a borescope for work, searched online and found them for $300 and up. Then I found this (plugs into Android phone) for less than $20 on Amazon. Works great:

https://www.amazon.com/Android...id=1499689747&sr=1-8

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My inexpensive cheese lyre is the best thing in the world for slicing cheese that isn't too hard. Aged cheddar is about the hardness limit. And it's so easy to clean – I just rinse the wire part under running water, rubbing with my fingers, then wipe with a towel.

Edit: For really hard cheese, I use my Chicago Cutlery 62S utility/boning knife, which has a thin, narrow blade, and a substantial haft.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have expensive German and Japanese kitchen knives, but the knife I grab 90% of the time, is these $5 to $7 Sams Club commercial restaurant knives. I highly recommend them and cant think of anything with better value to performance ratio. Good quality stainless steel that stays sharp plus ergonomic handles. Good buy. They are easily as good as the Forschner Victorinox Swiss kitchen knives that sell for a lot more.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/...875&wl17=1o1&veh=sem

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/...D=730010300000671333

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My dad drives a German car. One day he complained the fuel economy had tanked. I determined there was a leak and found a hose that needed replacement. It had fitted ends and a molded shape so off to the dealer I went. They wanted over 250.00 for it.

Nope.

Instead I went to Evco House of Hose. They removed the factory fittings, replaced the hose (not molded though)(didn't matter) re-crimped the fittings, tested the unit under pressure and had me out the door in 20 mins. Total cost: 12.00

My dad thinks I am the Superman of gearheads. I am a recovering gearhead....one day at a time Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can think of a number of things that fit the criteria but the one that stands out in my mind is an old Savage over & under camp gun in .22 mag and .410 I picked up in the early 70's for next to nothing. That thing went with me every hunting, fishing and camping trip for years and accounted for an untold number of grouse and rabbits etc. for camp fare. Like the idiot that I am, I sold it for next to nothing and haven't seen one since.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
8" & 10" Tramontina ProLine Skillets from costco as I got two for the price Amazon sells one. I have several years of use and they're still in very good shape despite running thru dishwasher.

Considering picking up another one (12" or 14")

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Timex watches in the '70s and '80s.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post