SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't I get motivated?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't I get motivated? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I just can't seem to get my sorry tail in motion. I've got the entire week off, nobody here to bug me, and a do-list as long as my arm... and I'm just not getting anything done.

I did visit family for Christmas, and got oil change and front brakes done this morning. (That is, I had them done... I could do it myself, but it would take three times as long, and I'd have to call a friend for help with the brakes. And then we'd get pizza and beer.) I've got desk work to do, a small bit of yard work to do (okay, that's not happening because it's 18° outside), I need to sweep / vac / leaf-blow the garage, send some "after-Christmas" cards, and move some furniture around. My office is a wreck, my workshop is twice as bad, the fridge needs dumping, and the dog needs a bath. Oh, and I'm sleepy as heck, to boot.

And here I sit: watching college football, surfing SF, and chatting with friends by phone and text. I walked around the house an hour ago looking at things that need to be done, and recognized my lack of motivation.

What the heck? Why can't I get even simple things done this week? (Or this month, for that matter?) Good grief, man! Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Because you are not being rushed. Enjoy your time off.

I’m suffering the same thing as I said that I would do some work over vacation. Well, that is not goi;g as planned. I’ll be farther behind when I goes back to work on Tuesday but it’s nice doing nothing in the meantime.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You are not alone buddy. Take the small victories and save the big battles for later.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Make a *written* list. Cross them off as you go.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Better question: when was the last time you got to just sit on your butt for an extended period?

Sometimes ya just gotta chill.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The first thing on the list is- Make a List. Then cross it off.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

Starting off strong... now time for a break

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Wow. I think I fell asleep right after my original post.

Oddly, all I want now is a nap. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

I retired a bit over six months ago. I've got this Man Cave project I'm working on. Gut and remodel an 11x10' room in the corner of the basement. It's 99.999% gutted. Just got to strip the wallpaper off one wall. Haven't done squat with it for a week or better.

Almost went and bought the door and rigid foam insulation today, but the camera lens I ordered was out for delivery and, well...

Mañana Wink

I had a policy when I was still working and on vacation: "Eat when you're hungry. Sleep when you're tired or sleepy."

I wouldn't worry about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is a result of some depression. I think most of us have some level of it. Especially those of us over 50. Especially this time of year.

Some exercise, better diet help. If severe enough. Other remedies might be necessary.

I am not an expert but think this could at least be the case.

A lack of interest might be mistook for a lack of motivation or I don't want to be bothered.

Just a thought.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'd write a long response, as I am in the same boat, but I think I'll have a nap instead.

Good luck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I too need to find my wick and light it. Have a new radiator, hoses and, thermostat to install. Its in the teens outside all weekend. Not going to be fun at all.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You need my new book, soon to be available on Amazon.com. It will be titled “The Power of Patient Procrastination.”

It’ll be there as soon as I get around to writing it, ahhh, finishing it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Wow. I think I fell asleep right after my original post.

Oddly, all I want now is a nap. Eek

There is nothing wrong with spending a day to decompress. I did that on Tues. I have been invigorated since and each task I complete motivates me to the next. Rest. Relax. Put your mind at ease. Get busy tomorrow. The trick is to only do this sequence once.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I keep telling myself that I can slackass today, but I have to promise [myself] that tomorrow will be a get-er-done day. Get up on time (5:30 is the norm), make coffee, get to the list. Very little on the list is time-sensitive; it all just needs to get done.

But heck, I haven't even focused well enough today to work on a solid list. Perhaps you've nailed it, DF: it's a day to decompress.

orc may have tagged it, too: I need to get back to better nutrition and more exercise. Cold weather and dark evenings don't make for good "bike, run or walk after work" days. And 50 is not far off.

God bless America.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Since retirement I try to plan ahead and push myself to do at least one task every day. For example... yesterday I changed out a burned out light bulb in a lamp....
Today, I plan to making some sweet tea, and tomorrow I plan on drinking it!

A Man has to pace himself after all... Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I've suffered ? through this myself on numerous occasions.

I would say you have a bad case of the Toos:

Too hot, too cold, too late, too early, etc... you get the idea Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, I did get my lazy tail off the recliner for a bit. Dog and I went walking, and had a good time of it. Saw a friend, got a wave (too cold to chat), got back before dark.

Time for some Hulu....

God bless America.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I feel you, Brother. I had plans of loading thousands of rounds of Cowboy ammo and cleaning every gun I own by now.

I did manage to load 300 rounds today.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I walked around the house an hour ago looking at things that need to be done, and recognized my lack of motivation.

Which is why I have the CUT that I have.
There's a lot of crap that I have to do tomorrow....maybe.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post