SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    158 years ago today - The Battle of Antietam
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

158 years ago today - The Battle of Antietam Login/Join 
posted
https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
156. Wink

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Driving through and seeing the candles lit in December is definitely a sobering sight

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have visited and walked the ground at many Civil War Battlefields including Gettysburg, but none had the sobering effect on me as Antietam. So much brave American blood lost on that single day.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have walked Gettysburg at night and it will damn near make you believe in restless spirits.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burnside's bridge,,, to see the topography, understand why they could not cross,,,,,and then with today's mind asking yourself why, is very sobering.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
and then with today's mind asking yourself why, is very sobering.

Every June 6th I ask myself “how do you wait for the ramp to drop so you get the privilege of running into precision matchine Gun fire aimed and zeroed months prior.”

All I keep coming to is.....they were of WAY WAY stouter stock then I.

That’s sounds better then I am a pussy but I digress.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My grandmother’s grandfather was there with the 8th Pennsylvania Reserves of the 37th Pennsylvania Volunteers

There is a monument to them at the cornfield

Here is his info in the national database

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/s...11-BF36-B8AC6F5D926A

My sons and I are proud sons of the Grand Army of the Republic.

James John only had daughters after the war, and so from that point on the sons bore the family name of “John”

So my father was John, my older brother was John, my oldest son is John, and his legacy will live on through us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevbo,

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
and then with today's mind asking yourself why, is very sobering.

Every June 6th I ask myself “how do you wait for the ramp to drop so you get the privilege of running into precision matchine Gun fire aimed and zeroed months prior.”

All I keep coming to is.....they were of WAY WAY stouter stock then I.

That’s sounds better then I am a pussy but I digress.

I watched an interview Chris Wallace (I know) had with three CMH recipients recently. One was a WWII vet, Iwo Jima as I recall. He made a comment toward the end that stuck with me. Paraphrasing, he said, "Where would we be if we'd have lost?"

I don't think that all of those young men running down that ramp thought that deeply about it at the time, but I sure do now. Thank God they were there to do it.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've visited several of the battlefields, and was a reenactor in two battles and in a parade once (forever ago), but I've not been to Antietam.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother lives less than a mile away from the battlefield. We visited him last week, and early on a couple mornings I jogged thru the very quiet park. It was sad, not as spooky like the site of Custer's Last Stand.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Sharpsburg

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
My brother lives less than a mile away from the battlefield. We visited him last week, and early on a couple mornings I jogged thru the very quiet park. It was sad, not as spooky like the site of Custer's Last Stand.

The spooky thing about Little Bighorn is that there are markers where each man fell. I like it because it definitely gives visitors an idea of the flow of the battle...but it also conveys a gravity of the fact that this exact spot is where a man died. Spooky, sobering, and inspiring all at the same time.

Walking the sunken road at Antietam also gave me chills, though. The massive sacrifice over that single piece of ground...it just blows my mind. As others have already said in this thread...these men were made of stouter stock than I.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
My grandmother’s grandfather was there with the 8th Pennsylvania Reserves of the 37th Pennsylvania Volunteers

James John only had daughters after the war, and so from that point on the sons bore the family name of “John”

So my father was John, my older brother was John, my oldest son is John, and his legacy will live on through us.

That's super cool that you're keeping his legacy alive.

I have ancestors that fought for the Confederacy and I think some that fought for the Union side, but I only know about the Confederates.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've walked Valley Forge (only revolutionary war site), and many Civil War battle fields. IMHO, they are all sacred ground. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
You know, I've always been interested in US history, especially WWII and the Revolutionary war. I read quite a bit about them. But I've never taken the time to really study the Civil War. Your post sent me to several sites where I learned about Antietam. I may have to get some books on the Civil War now. Thanks for this post.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
156. Wink

You're back? Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I once spent a day driving around and walking the site ( I wish I had spent several). I still cannot fathom the loss of life.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

My great great grandfather was there also. Vanneman's Battery, 1st MD Light Artillery (US) They arrived in the late morning after the main battle near Dunkard Church and the Cornfield was over but still dueled with Confederate Batteries. They also have a monument on Cornfield Ave.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to Antietam once and I too found it very sobering. Whenever I visit a Civil War site a thought goes through my head, but never so strongly as it did the morning of my visit there. It was something my father once said to me: The Revolutionary War ushered in this nation’s principles, but the Civil War and the men who fought in it, they established this country’s metal.

My father was born in 1927 and told me that as child he recalled seeing two surviving Union Civil War Vets in his town parades. Those guys were always given the honor of being at the front, with the SA and WW1 Vets in attendance giving them deference.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post