SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got told I have white male privelege by friends
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got told I have white male privelege by friends Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not alone although I don't think I had it as bad as you Prefontaine.
Biological father left before I knew him. Nasty motherfucker as I found out later when I was told about him. Abusive as Hell.
Adoptive father is who I call Dad now. More of a father than my biological POS was. Was being the key word here.
Grew up poor. My mom sewed together our clothes. We lived with her Mom(my grandmother) for quite a while until my Mom remarried.
Started working when I was 13 for my Dad. I've bought myself what I've needed or wanted.
Fast forward to 2006 and I find myself out of N.E. Ohio and in Utah with a national company. They hire a woman as working boss. There's men above her but she runs the show basically.
Most wicked person I've dealt with in my life and she also has a history of failings wherever she has managed. Places have just shut down where she's been at, none have prospered.
I'm on my toes when she's around seeing as I'm lower management. One time in her office, I just had the feeling I was being recorded. Didn't say much.
So white male privelege? Ya, fuck off.
As noted by others, those aren't friends. I'd dump them personally. I dumped mine months ago but that had nothing to do with being labeled with white privelege.
I've embraced my label as middle aged asshole.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Joat, watch your six, hard, around that female boss. I have had 3 like this. 2/3 were ridiculous. Be very careful. The first one cost me or caused my career hell on Earth for a decade. It’s a shit environment so don’t be afraid to look for alternate employment, get an offer, and use it as leverage to get out from under her. Some people just shouldn’t be in management. Going against #2 I had a HR rep, also a woman, say to me “you seem to be the kind of person that needs things fair” and my response was something like yes federal law protects workers they don’t just protect women. Same HR person questioned my telling her if hostile working environment. I told her I’d be happy to take a polygraph and pay for half. She then interviewed my team and got a cat does of the truth. The manager was made to take training off site for her behavior. She came back and then retaliated. I eventually got pushed out via lay-off as to the company they gambled on risk. They’d rather take a lawsuit from me vs. an African-American woman claiming discrimination. Bullshit the way it rolls now.

If you have ever been in a relationship with gf or wife where they are being completely irrational and must be right even when they are dead wrong, it was just like that. Get in the crosshairs and you are fucked. Company will stand with a woman over a man any day of the week. Best of luck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy, all I can tell you is change your path if you don't like where it's heading. When I got out of high school I got a government job like a good boy because of the benefits, eventual retirement, vacation days, etc. What a shit show that was. 100% politics, tons of women in management and the supervisors that weren't women where men that have a far different sexual preference than I. It was simply not the place for a muscle car driving, motorcycle having, football playing red blooded gun toting American male.

Fast forward to today. I got into the motorcycle world after I left local government, and now I manage a Harley Davidson dealership. Needless to say, all of the anti-Trump PC shit doesn't even walk by this place let alone come inside it. It's the last place where a white male seems to not be under attack...at least it seems that way to me.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 971 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
Anyone who credits your position in life to privilege without knowing how you got there is ignorant. Anyone who knows the story you told and calls you privileged is malicious. Consider minimizing your interactions with people who are ignorant or malicious -- life is too short for self-flagellation.

^^^ There you go.

If you say anything at all to them, say "Go fuck yourselves."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calling on "white privilege" essentially means, to me at least, that that person has lost the argument and doesn't have a leg to stand on. They are just grasping at straws.

My favorite white privilege video is with conservative David Webb (it's only 2 minutes or so).

https://youtu.be/juQLifY4l_0

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Here's another idea:

"Hey, you wanna know another of my white privileges?
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms."

You'll be red-flagged, but that may be worth it to see their faces.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Buddy, all I can tell you is change your path if you don't like where it's heading. When I got out of high school I got a government job like a good boy because of the benefits, eventual retirement, vacation days, etc. What a shit show that was. 100% politics, tons of women in management and the supervisors that weren't women where men that have a far different sexual preference than I. It was simply not the place for a muscle car driving, motorcycle having, football playing red blooded gun toting American male.

Fast forward to today. I got into the motorcycle world after I left local government, and now I manage a Harley Davidson dealership. Needless to say, all of the anti-Trump PC shit doesn't even walk by this place let alone come inside it. It's the last place where a white male seems to not be under attack...at least it seems that way to me.
Interesting change of occupation, but one I can support. I had to quit riding after a very serious accident, but I still like to go by a Harley-Davidson dealer every so often, just to get a "sound fix" (love that H-D sound!). FWIW, modern H-D dealerships have very clean restrooms and most are accustomed to folks coming into the facility to browse, so I sometimes stop on the road at one just to look, listen, (and use the bathroom). I once even stopped at one in North Carolina (Davis H-D) and was allowed to charge up my laptop computer using their power. H-D folks rock!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My basic approach to work is productivity. If someone is paying me, I make sure that they're getting their money's worth. This particular issue is almost always missing from discussions with these types of people.

I always ask if these "critical" people would like to take on a portion of my work. I'm always nice about it, usually saying that I could use some help with what I'm doing. That's when they walk away.

If I could do it again, I wouldn't stay at one spot for more that 3 or 4 years. A moving asset gains more experience and has the ability to walk away from trouble.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"White privilege" is racism, pure and simple. It means that you are judging someone you know nothing about completely based on their skin color. That is racism.

Tell them they are racists, and you will have nothing to do with racism, no matter who it comes from.

Period.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I agree with Joe. To claim whites have a monopoly on privilege is to deny reality and basically proclaims you harbor racist beliefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My introduction to my "White Privilege" came when I was 20 and newly married. I'd gotten some technical training post-high school and had a couple of years experience twisting wrenches as an auto tech while supporting myself and my wife all while continuing my education.

An uncle that worked for the local electric utility suggested I apply to work in their garage as the pay and benefits were very, very good for the times. I went thru the motions by filling out an app, taking a written aptitude test and an oral interview. The HR person then told me I had scored better on the test than anyone he'd seen come thru the office in years but, unfortunately, he couldn't hire me. Seems you had to be black to even be considered and if you were a black female, you were a lock. His words, verbatim. My career went in a different direction and I did well enough through a lot of hard work that I'm now enjoying a comfortable retirement.

Anyone that suggests I have "White Privilege" is probably going to be needing the services of a good dentist by the end of that conversation.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

If I could do it again, I wouldn't stay at one spot for more that 3 or 4 years. A moving asset gains more experience and has the ability to walk away from trouble.

V.

This was me just about 5 years ago.
Been in Ohio, Georgia, Utah and Michigan working.
When the shit started, and it usually does, I got out. I gained as much knowledge as I could where I was at and took it to the next position.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Anyone that suggests I have "White Privilege" is probably going to be needing the services of a good dentist by the end of that conversation.

Yup. I'm in the same mood about this silly shit.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
...I told him before he accuses anybody of anything he needs to send me an applicant with a verifiable job history, comes in to apply in a sober and clean manner and can read and write and I would hire them. IF they did not meet this don't bother sending them.

Next guy that applied came in off the street was hired. Sober, clean, could read and write, guess what? He was Hispanic.

It's funny how these high standards (/sarcasm) are still hard to meet these days.

My 22-yr old son works in an hourly wage position. He tells me stories of people who, after just being hired, do not show up (at all) for their first day of work. Or show up late/leave early, and wonder why other (new) people are getting more hours than them.

He didn't understand at the time when he was 13-15, when I told him if I was his hardest boss he would do well to listen to what I was trying to teach him. Now he has managers from other stores bidding on him to come work them. Apparently, he's "the hammer" when it comes to standards and managers want him to train others (with additional compensation).

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
The greatest thing about white male privilege is that you can tell everyone to "Kiss my rosey pink ass." Razz

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Yep, you bust your ass, sometimes working two or more jobs to make yourself successful and it's called white privilege because you've made something of yourself.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:

Yup. I'm in the same mood about this silly shit.

I can understand the urge to send some A-hole to a dentist, but would rather just ignore them. Going to court to defend myself is not my idea of a good time.

I experienced a fair amount of the "female" privilege when I was working for IBM, years ago. I was in management with some 25 employees reporting to me. Ended up firing a black female employee for intentionally damaging/destroying about 5 million dollars of highly critical product.

Personnel told me I could not fire her. Told them to pound sand, and if they didn't want her fired, they could transfer her to personnel.

She was gone that day.

Yes, I am a white male. And my "privilege" came from spending decades of 60+ hour weeks, lots of time away from home, etc etc etc.

I have to wonder what it would be like out there in the business world with all this PC nonsense that is truly anti-male.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post