SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacing a Moen shower valve with a variable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing a Moen shower valve with a variable? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
My Moen shower valve leaks occasionally, less than 2 years old. However, if I'm going to swap cartridges, I'd like to see about changing it to a variable pressure unit, Moentrol is the name. I just have the pressure balancing one like this valve.

How hard would that be? It's behind a tile wall with just the normal one handle control and square plate. The builder said it would difficult, but so often that translates into they don't want to do it.

Other wise, I'll just replace the cartridge so it quits dripping. It only does it occasionally, but needs fixed.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
a few years ago we had to replace a Moen shower cartridge unit. Called up the company, they gave us warranty parts & ample easy instructions how to do the job.

Ours was not a square unit, and I don't recall any spec regarding 'variable pressure unit'.

Their consumer support phone help was surprising, useful and very pleasant. Good luck.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 2 are interchangeable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
a few years ago we had to replace a Moen shower cartridge unit. Called up the company, they gave us warranty parts & ample easy instructions how to do the job.

Once you're "registered" vis the first call, you may get free parts for life. I like Moen warranty CSR.

As far as "hard to change", most of the time the plumber wants to go in from the other side of the wall. What's there? Another shower? Outside wall? The wall of a cathedral foyer 18' high?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Moentrol is considerably wider than the Positemp. First thing is to remove the wall euschuteon on your faucet, look in there to see how far the studs are apart.

If there is room, Moen makes a remodel plate #1910 that I use most, that accommodates doing it from the front, if there is no access behind

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The other side is the living room wall so I'd not want to mess with that, it's not that important.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post