SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My latest kielbasa adventure
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My latest kielbasa adventure Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have his book as well and have tried several different recipes from it.

I hate to say anything bad about the Messiah of sausage making, but I have not been impressed with his recipes at all. While my tastes tend to lean towards spicy (not hot, just spicy), I have found his recipes very bland.

It is a good primer on sausage making though.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Being Lithuanian, Polish, and English my family has made a lot of kielbasa. Looks good to me.

Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian here. Sadly, though, none of my family was much into making sausages so I've had to experiment a lot with recipes. I have Italian and breakfast sausages down well, as well as a great bratwurst recipe. Kielbasa on the other hand has been a struggle.

Got a recipe you'd care to share?

I will call my uncle and see which one he uses. It was very good.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That'd be great. Thank you.

Hopefully he'll share.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, I messed up in the smoking process...apparently.

Using my Masterbuilt, I set it at 160F and loaded applewood.

My goal, according to the recipe, was to reach 152F in the smoker. This took nearly 8 hours at 160F (recommended temp) vs. the 2-3 hours suggested in the recipe. The low temp was supposed to keep the fat from melting.

However, the length of the smoke melted a ton of the fat, and I ended up with not quite Slim Jims.

While the flavor is perfect, and I'll stick with these ingredients, the quality is not.

Not quite sure where to go from here. Perhaps cold smoking is the way to go? Or, maybe, just doing a flash hot smoke and not worrying so much about the internal temp as it'll be frozen and cooked later anyway.

Hmmm....

Suggestions from the professional backyard smokers are welcome. Wink

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet the temp is off or had spikes high enough to render the fat out. I just bought and used for the first time an Auber PID controller and wish I had bought it sooner. I have a few smokers including a Masterbuilt and a Sausage Maker, both electrics and neither hold a consistent temp as purchased. The Auber PID kept my temps within 2 degrees once it learned the smoker and it has 6 steps you can program in. I ran the first hour at 120 degrees to dry the casings and then had it bump itself 10 degrees per hour until it reached a max of 170. It cost around $150 but if sausage making is a hobby or smoking is a hobby it's well worth it.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Every time I smell some good kielbasa I'm reminded of going to Duda's Butcher shop, in Perth Amboy NJ as a kid in the 1950's.

They had the stuff hanging up by the ton. You could smell when you were getting close to the place.

Hate to say it ,as a proud 100% pollock ,but I'm not a big fan. I miss pork roll from the east coast far more than kielbasa.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Superb!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Pls tell me about that stuffer.

We make sausage from time to time. Back in the day using Denisear’s grandfathers hand crank grinder, now with Kitchen Aid attachment. It’s still slow going and a pain.

If that hand crank deal is as efficient as it looks I may need one!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a SHORT period of time. I was never happy with the results, plus on the 11-12 time I used it, the thing quit working all together. I gave it away and purchased a Cookshack Smoker(cry once), and could not be more pleased.....just a thought.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
Slim Jim or not still looks like it would be good. Used to like Slim Jims as a kid ate a lot of them.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just had some yesterday , with potato's and sauerkraut in the crock pot , stick to your ribs goodness

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Try being in culinary school in your early 20's in Charcuterie class with a bunch of 18-22 year old girls giggling and making dick jokes as they handle the sausage coming out of the stuffer into the cases. Those were the days! Big Grin

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Every time I smell some good kielbasa I'm reminded of going to Duda's Butcher shop, in Perth Amboy NJ as a kid in the 1950's.

They had the stuff hanging up by the ton. You could smell when you were getting close to the place.

Hate to say it ,as a proud 100% pollock ,but I'm not a big fan. I miss pork roll from the east coast far more than kielbasa.

Frank-

Check out www.jerseyporkroll.com to satisfy your craving.
Operated by a neighbor of mine.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
So first thing, sausage that doesnt contain any nitrates needs to be smoked pretty quick to avoid some nasty issues like botulism. You need to get the sausage out of that 40-140 deg range asap with uncured meat. I would suggest smoking at a higher temp not above 220, ideally not above 200. At around 200 you should hit your target temp in 2-3 hrs, and as long as the sausage has decent fat content you wont have to worry about melting it out.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The recipe has #1 in it, so I wasn't too concerned about it turning.

Since I really liked the spice combination, I'll stick with the recipe and go for a quick and heavy hot smoke next time. I don't want it cooked, just smoked.

I can vacuum seal and freeze it right away.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Just kidding. Used to eat a lot of it as a kid in Chicago.

Abe Froman? Is that you?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since I really liked the spice combination, I'll stick with the recipe and go for a quick and heavy hot smoke next time. I don't want it cooked, just smoked.

Gotcha, try a small batch at 200 and see how it goes. Theres an old saying when it comes to smoking/bbq- “You cant make great bbq until you’ve made terrible bbq.”

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:

Gotcha, try a small batch at 200 and see how it goes. Theres an old saying when it comes to smoking/bbq- “You cant make great bbq until you’ve made terrible bbq.”

Well...I've made a lot of terrible. I suppose I'm due. Big Grin

Is there a particular temp that I should shoot for, or just do some heavy smoke for an hour our so and not worry about temp given the #1 in the recipe?

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:

Well...I've made a lot of terrible. I suppose I'm due. Big Grin

Is there a particular temp that I should shoot for, or just do some heavy smoke for an hour our so and not worry about temp given the #1 in the recipe?

Well first things first, are you planning on eating this right away or storing it? It sounds like you just want it smoked and to cook it later. If storing for sure add nitrates to it and read up on how to properly cure the mixture. Either way I would still shoot for a 150+ internal temp. I would try making small batches at a time at different temps and see what turns out best. Id up it straight to 200 and if you hit your target temp at around 2-3 hours youre good to go. Make sure you are using a quality temp probe as well, like thermoworks.