SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Orient Mechanical Watches = Very Nice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orient Mechanical Watches = Very Nice Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
Thought I would give SF a heads up on a brand many might not know, that has served me well. All movements are made in house, by a company well regarded in the industry (owned now by Seiko IIRC).

I just got done cleaning and regulating my 6 y/o Orient Mako watch, and I continue to be amazed by its reliability, and accuracy; +2 to +3 seconds a day, utilizing positional variance at night. Beat rate seems A-OK, and she looked real good inside, when I removed the 46963 movement. Paid $100 for it back then, and even today, they are an absolute steal.

They DO NOT look or feel like a cheap watch, and I would be proud to give one as a gift to anyone.

The new Mako USA II automatic is simply amazing for the price, if its size suits your wrist/personal style. This new movement is hand-wind/self-wind, hacking, sapphire crystal, great lume, 120 click bezel, with solid end links. Orient USA runs promos all of the time, and can be had for a lot less than list price:

https://orientwatchusa.com/sho...-watches/saa0200bd9/

I really like their Flieger style, and wish this new movement was in it:

No shill for the company, just a happy owner of a few, and will be buying more.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes, very solid watches. A definite competitor to Seiko. Possibly better styling.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
I don't care for their designs too much, but Orient is well known to watch enthusiasts as a very good value.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
what you need is a smaller pic size Wink

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
what you need is a smaller pic size Wink

Sorry about that. The bottom two hot-linked "large", and my photo was 'upsized' by postimage, even when I said to not resize? Made blurrier too.

Glad to see other folks know of them. It has been a long time since I had a light faced watch, and this MAKO USA II, looks a bit jaunty, but easy for these tired eyes to read:

I really need a much larger watch, to match my wrist size, and wish they had this model in say a 45/47mm.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Orient is my work beater.Its been dropped hard enough that I have had to opened up and reset the regulation and without equipment I have it at about the same loss as you.Very good watches.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Nice looking watches. I hadn't heard of them before.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
they are nice, but what do they do that my Seiko 5 can't? that's the only thing that keeps me away.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeing one with a green face and multifaceted crystal, very nice looking and less than $100 seems like a great deal. Your post will now make me order the watch.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Got this Orient Trooper on my wrist right now. Automatic, see-through caseback, Sapphire crystal, solid end-pieces and only $127 through Massdrop.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like watches, but haven't worn one in years. That one reminds me of Rolex. Is it heavy?

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I like watches, but haven't worn one in years. That one reminds me of Rolex. Is it heavy?

That was my thought as well about the similarity to Rolex. I was almost hoping it has the bubble magnifier.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have an Orient Mako. The band didn't last a year, but I didn't expect much for $120!!

It's a pretty solid mechanical watch. Accurate and really good-looking as well. Just needs a new band to go back to my daily wear.

My only issue is that they are clearly becoming more popular, because they are now up to $190.

I say buy one before they charge full-retail!!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Yes, very solid watches. A definite competitor to Seiko. Possibly better styling.

RMD

Orient is owned by Seiko.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

My Mako tips the scales @ about 6 oz.

posted Hide Post
I'm drawn to automatic watches.....I just wish they were smaller in diameter.

I have small hands and wrists and the larger watches just look goofy on me....

Any suggestions ?? mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I'm drawn to automatic watches.....I just wish they were smaller in diameter.

I have small hands and wrists and the larger watches just look goofy on me....

Any suggestions ?? mike

Mike, head to Amazon or similar, and input something like 35-39mm for diameter. This would put you in the small side of mens watches, and what was very popular years ago. You will find a ton of choices.

This is very nice:

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-S...Canvas/dp/B002SSUQFG

posted Hide Post
Such a simple , obvious suggestion ...but I had never thought about it that way !! Thanks !!

You may have just cost me some $$ Wink

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I also have small wrists and hate the 42mm watches. I bought one of the Seiko 5's like the one linked and I am very happy. I wear it everyday and it works great. I find it loses about 1-2 minutes a month, which I don't think is too bad. Every month I just pull up the NIST time on my iPad and tick it ahead a few.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post