SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do you guys use as an online broker?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you guys use as an online broker? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Been doing some reading and looks like these places are popular:

Merrill Edge
E-Trade
Ameritrade
Charles Schwab
Fidelity Investments

Just looking to do some trading of stocks and ETFs.

Who do you use and do you like them? What are the pros and cons of who you use?

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
TD Ameritrade for me. I've used them for about 10 years with no complaints.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My Brokerage Account is with Charles Schwab and have been very happy with them. The two best are Schwab and Fidelity.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schwab here.$ 4.95 equity trades. Free mutual fund and certain ETF trades are free. Unless you have wells or BofA and you have enough cash and or mortgage balance to qualify for free trades.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve been with Schwab for nearly 30 years.

The business has evolved over that time. There used to be a dedicated rep for our accounts. Anything I needed, I call him.

Now, you dial the number and get whoever answers, in Phoenix, Indianapolis, Florida, Denver etc. some are really competent, some not so. I’ve never had a problem they weren’t eager to solve, and eventually did..... very few overall. My mom loved Ermie, trusted him in the good old days.

I seldom trade, so commissions are not a problem. I did two trades a week or so ago, $5.00 each. The software works quite well.

I don't use any research or advisory services. I do use the funds transfers, and wires. Those are easy to use and secure as far as I can tell.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm using Motif. I can trade up to 30 stocks at once in a single transaction that costs $20.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've used Fidelity since the '90's. Never had a problem.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I use Schwab just because I started with them. They’re full service with lots of research tools available. I find them responsive. They have also lowered there fees to match new lower priced entrants like e-trade, etc.
Schwab also offers no cost trades for some mutual funds.

While they have been working hard to catch up, I suspect Schwab is lagging a little with regards to online tools and functionality. I haven’t looked at their competitors lately but this is what I suspect.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TD Ameritrade, been with them 10 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Schwab. Have accounts with Fidelity, Vanguard and TD Ameritrade and they are good to go also.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
One word... Schwab.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Charles Schwab

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Charles Schwab

Ok...two words Wink

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
I use ETrade and Charles Schwab right now

Great support if you ever need it from both. Ive used ameritrade also in the past was not a fan of it

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
TD Ameritrade here. Low fees and quick executions. Two accounts, personal, and a family trust. I like that I can see them both in the same interface (web or app). I also like the thinkorsswim Mac app.

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Schwab without a doubt.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
USAA, then I moved my entire brokerage portfolio to Vanguard. 25 free trades/yr, then $2 a trade is OK by me, plus I keep all other investments under one roof.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently with Scottrade, but by mid Feb. it will be TD Ameritrade as they bought out Scottrade.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
TD Ameritrade since it was TD Waterhouse.

They broke new ground back in the pre internet 1990s by instituting $39 telephone trades. Now I think online trades are $6.99.

TDA has a detailed year-end tax statement that is comprehensive yet simple. I'm well satisfied.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Fidelity but I do very little with individual stocks. I stick with Mutual funds and EFTs. Stocks are a flat $4.95 per trade. Other instruments are pretty much at no cost.

I've been happy with them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post